• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Some Questions from a potential purchaser.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Do be aware of one thing. when using an adapter, you can have issues with some of them. The write protect switch locking when instlling the card into the Thrive. Also, all adapters are not made equal. Some users have had issues with using the SDcard and it turned out to be the adapter.
    Ah good to be made aware cheers. Bought a 64gb SDXC card to go with my Thrive Should be able to stick enough Media on that to drown a fish! Got it in line with a 8gb Thrive, as this was only 280($428) compared to 400($611) for the 32gb So I saved loads of money and actually have more storage. Hope this pans out like I think it will and I've not made a mistake....

Just wanted to know about the mini SD as I have a tonne of them laying around, and intend to use them as little extras and back ups.

And good for you Al! Glad to hear about another satisfied customer. All reassuring.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I love the USB port. I've plugged all kinds of things in there from flash drives to a mouse. The mini usb port is great for connecting the TT to my laptop to manipulate my files quickly and easily!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I love my thrive and use it all the time for lots of things. I paid $330 w/tax for an 8GB model and got a $50-60 toshiba case and a 50-100$ logitech bluetooth keyboard for xmas. Puts it all at around the same price point as the transformer, which I also like. The two reasons I settled on the thrive were: 1) having the full-size ports right on the device itself (very handy) and 2) I didn't have to shell out the $500 for the transformer myself. I also got a 32GB Class 10 SD card for xmas and 40 GB total is plenty for now, as I don't plan to go app-crazy. I also got a 1TB external harddrive that, after converting to exfat, plugs into the usb port. So, storage is not an issue anymore. The full sized ports are just incredibly useful. I plug my hdmi cable from my tv into my thrive all the time and watch netflix, play angrybirds, and whatever else on my bigscreen tv. Love it.

I don't get the obsession about thinness either, as I find the thrive to be very light and easy to take with me wherever I go. I use it at work and at home. I wish the camera was a bit better, but it is good enough. I also wish the audio was a bit better, but whenever I am watching movies or whatever I usually plug into my tv, which has stereo speakers hooked up, etc.

I added splashtop hd recently and now I can access my desktop and Windows on my thrive via my desktop either at work or home and having access to Windows is occasionally quite handy.

Overall, especially for the price point (I've seen some good sales recently), I think the thrive is a great tablet and very functional. As others have mentioned, being able to take off the back, replace the battery, etc. is quite handy, although I do think the transformer destroys the thrive on battery life, once the keyboard attachment comes into play.

Overall, I would say that if full sized ports on the tablet itself isn't an issue for you, then the transformer looks great; but, I've found that I get a lot of use out of the USB, HDMI, and SD ports right on the device itself and love the thrive for that.
    neiljwd likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got my thrive and I have a few observations:
    The refurb, unupdateable ROM is OK
    DaleNet-Thrive-HTK55D.31.5.0002-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.1 is fantastic. I don't know how to quantify it, however the WiFi connects quicker, response to input is a little quicker. Don't know why, and I'm not going to complain since loading it is a whole lot less trouble than loading Win 7 on a laptop.
    It weighs more than my Kindle, but a ton less than my laptop.

Looks like it will perform its intended duties perfectly.
    I can't open a laptop on a plane, just aint happening. I got this to be entertained on hours long flights. At about 1/2 the cost of an iPad and all the connectors made this a winner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads