• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: [Observation] PLEASE EVERYONE READ

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Not me.
    I was selling and developing software for the TRS-80 back then...
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KZXten View Post
    Maritza40, like anything in life we are new to we have to learn about so don't give up on the Thrive just yet. I got the Thrive for my wife a while back and though she resisted it, after a while I couldn't pry it from her hands! Of course she has her own 'problems' that I'm trying to resolve with her tablet but that may be due to ICS update alone with any other apps.

I've been a lurker here for a while now as a visitor muuaaahhhhhh, anyway the people here I've found are respectful of your position in regard to novice to expert.

Ha ha ha, So I'm not the only aged one here :P count me in on the C64 along with the C-Pet, tandy, Ti99-4A oi what fun!

I started with a Ti99-4A that I bought from JC Penney. Moved up to C-64 before PC's got affordable.

I think tablets have a lot in common with those days. Things had gotten relatively boring with PCs. Everybody had some familiarity with PCs and could solve their problems or knew somebody who could. Then, tablets come out - not quite ready for prime time and proprietary. It kind of forced us to go out and find people who had the same devices so that we could work together (some, like dalepl, did more of that work) to figure out how to get them to work right. The biggest difference between the early 80s computing communities and tablet forums is probably not having to wait for the phone line so that the modem can connect.

Another big difference is that we probably could have run the Shuttle program with the computing power that we walk around with now.
    KZXten likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    The more who post here mentioning Commodores, the more I know I found the right forum!
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I seem to have missed the Commodore... but my first machine was an IBM PC 5150 (company purchased). When they upgraded it about a year later to a 5160 (XT), I was ecstatic (it actually had a hard drive!).

What I find interesting, is that we - early 1980s computer users - have a common interest in the Thrive. Not because it the fastest, thinest, or coolest tablet around, but because it actually is a small, versatile, portable computer with great potential. Something, I feel, that we may not be able to say about portable computing devices that we will be seeing in the marketplace in the near future.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    The more who post here mentioning Commodores, the more I know I found the right forum!
    If the Thrive is the new Commodore-64, when's the Amiga coming out?

I'm surprised there's not an App with Amiga's bouncing ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    The Excite could be compared to the C128. Better hardware, sleeker, but not significantly better such that owners of the previous generation would want to upgrade, and outclassed by competition that came out a little while later.

Hopefully Toshiba's third attempt will be better than Commodore did with the Amiga. Great hardware with abilities and price on par with anything else, in some ways better, but it just couldn't take off.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    The Excite could be compared to the C128. Better hardware, sleeker, but not significantly better such that owners of the previous generation would want to upgrade, and outclassed by competition that came out a little while later.

Hopefully Toshiba's third attempt will be better than Commodore did with the Amiga. Great hardware with abilities and price on par with anything else, in some ways better, but it just couldn't take off.
    Only because the idiot who owned/ran Commodore (I forget his name) didn't have/wouldn't spend the money to market/support it, particularly in the business world. This is where Apple did it right, particularly with their steep education discounts. To this day I think AmigaDOS was a better architecture than MS-DOS and Windows. In fact, a lot of AmigaDOS ideas got incorporated into MS-DOS at the time. I remember when they had a CES in Atlanta along with the one in Las Vegas. The Amiga was THE big hit at the two I attended. Money talks and both Gates and Jobs had it. As we see today with the Thrive, the best technology doesn't always survive in the fickle world we live in.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    DoubleDAZ; I think the problem was actually with the US push in the PC market. Why I say that is when this big 'push' came out I just so happen to be serving overseas at the time in Germany in which the Amiga was bigger than the PC. This proved hard to get PC items but actually quite easy to get Amiga platform hardware/software. I guess in part it was due to advertising and putting more money into the platform but good ol' Gates was in a fight with Jobs, and of course then Europe was a great follower of the 'Western culture'. Speaking of which my son keeps bothering me to pull out the Amiga500 that I have which I so happen to have the Bodega Bay for it with the IBM compatible mobo in it. I just might have to go and dig it out and blow the dust off.

I thought you may find this interesting also The New Commodore 64, Updated With Its Old Exterior - NYTimes.com There is somewhat of a nostalgic following/interest in reintroducing this to the market as I see it pop up now and then.

Heh, glad I found this forum; great to have like minded people even if I've fallen behind

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    32k Pet, commodore 64, Ted(commodore+4 I think it was called), B128, C128, First issue of Amiga behind my belt.
    Plus I learned machine language and assembly on all of them except Amiga.
    Their intelligent disk drives were the best - send a command to do a big, long, job and it didn't tie up the computer.
    Their skill of tight coding of the kernel was amazing. I think it was Microsoft's, can't recall. We've seen nothing but bloated, and growing, OS since.

How on earth did this thread turn into a Commodore forum???
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    This brings back some wonderful memories.

I had the VIC-20, A few C-64's, an SX-64 and a C128. Never got into the Amiga.
    I ran a BBS on one of the 64's with two 1541s and two SFD-1001 drives and a 9600 baud modem.
    My favorite C64 was one I modified with a second SID (Sound Interface Device) piggy-backed on the first one
    and a third installed in a cartridge. 9 note polyphonic with three white noise generators.
    I also had one of the memory expansion cartridges that was able to be hacked to increase the memory.

I loved the old Commodores.
    panda and rosalie like this.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Peace,
    Dave

Toshiba Thrive 10.1"
    Android 4.0.4 Dalepl rooted ROM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Huawei S7-104 BB
    Joe Nilan's FroyoFusion
    CWM 2.5.1.8 by goodoane
    SOC Rooted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads