• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: [Observation] PLEASE EVERYONE READ

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Rooting is not required. Just read around the forum. There is a lot of information. Most is not required, but fixes for issues or inhancements. When you root the device, it basically gives you admin rites on the device. Some apps will not run on the device without root access, but these are marked in the Play Store. Once you get comfertable with the stock device, then you should look at what else you can do to it. So, bottom line, do not sweat it for now.
    bigguy48 and NWDave like this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Let me put it this way, I have personally sold many of my coworkers on the idea on the Thrive to the point of 4 of them having purchased it. None of them have rooted it, all of them are enjoying their Thrives. They basically use them as gaming machines when we're underway but they all enjoy the ability to skype/video chat with loved ones when we pull in, enjoy not having to carry around a laptop, and also enjoy being able to plug in flash drives, etc...

One of them just bought the Logitech wireless gamepad (710), well the same time I bought it, but he got it for himself as well. He plugged his Thrive into his 37" HDTV and is playing games from across the room.

Just about the only thing I've done for them is shown them how to install a different keyboard, and install the latest version of the Android market (Google Play). For some reason it had a heck of a time updating itself to Play. I had it on an SD card from my smashed up Thrive's SD Card (my first one I rooted, this one I haven't rooted), and just installed it and worked like a charm.

We're all using Hacker's Keyboard, by the way. Kinda nice to use a keyboard that's similar to a full-sized keyboard on a computer.

Also as was mentioned a while ago when these forums were young and I was helping a soldier get his Thrive connected, we've been using Connectify to get our Thrives online in our rooms as well. Most of us have purchased WIND mobile 3G sticks in Crete(Greece, or the "Hellenes" as they call it) and are using them with USB extension cords in our window to get online in our rooms. Oftentimes we're hanging just off some coast and in the Eastern Med we're usually close enough to a Greek island to pick off a WIND signal so we can get online at sea, and using Connectify on my Win7 laptop I can get online with my Thrive as well.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 04-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    bigguy48 likes this.
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Welcome MARITZA40 to the best forum for the best tablet.
    Rooting is a method of gaining more control over what your tablet is capable of doing. The reason it is scary is that there is a risk of "bricking", or making your Thrive unusable, if it is done wrong. This bricking would require you to send the unit off to Toshiba for repair, but they can usually repair it for a cost. You have to decide if the risk is worth it.
    Rooting can make your unit much more customizable than it already is. It isn't difficult, and other sections like Development and ROM have lots of posts dedicated to helping you out. Not to mention the very helpful community whose members are the friendliest on the planet. Don't hesistate to ask questions at any point.
    If you want added value for your Thrive, root it (but be careful), and you will realize new functionality for your tablet. Rooting is totally optional. The tablet is already great as it is.
    DWolves and MARITZA40 like this.

Toshiba 10.1" Thrive 16 GB WiFi only 1saleaday refurb w/ no issues
    DaleNet Thrive Universal Easy Flash Tool v1.4/timmytim Honey Baked ROM Full v1.2/mitchtaydev Thrive Shiva Kernel v0.2 @1.336 GHz/interactive (No-frills)
    THANK YOU: dalepl, timmytim, dj_steve, mitchtaydev, turnyourbackandrun, thriveforums.org community

Agent Thrive
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    you do a great job dalepl.I know you work to.I don't know how you do what you do.i know everyone here thanks you for what you do.
    DerekElensar likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank you

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Thanks all. I try to provide you what I am wanting. That is all.
    albinosun likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    man i cant wait to get started... where do i donate at? lol.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Maritza40, like anything in life we are new to we have to learn about so don't give up on the Thrive just yet. I got the Thrive for my wife a while back and though she resisted it, after a while I couldn't pry it from her hands! Of course she has her own 'problems' that I'm trying to resolve with her tablet but that may be due to ICS update alone with any other apps.

I've been a lurker here for a while now as a visitor muuaaahhhhhh, anyway the people here I've found are respectful of your position in regard to novice to expert.

Ha ha ha, So I'm not the only aged one here :P count me in on the C64 along with the C-Pet, tandy, Ti99-4A oi what fun!
    panda likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    Another Commodore old-timer, pleased to make your acquaintance! I had a VIC-20, used my C64 until 1995, then a C128 I picked up cheaply, until I got my first real job in 1998 and bought my first PC. The 128 is boxed up but most of the system still worked last year, including the Swiftlink. The CMD hard drive controller is fine, though my two SCSI hard drives died over the years. The 1581 needs a new drive mechanism, which haven't been made in years.

Like Commodores and a third-party database I adapted, the Thrive is technology I love for being underestimated, and capable of more than the maker expected.
    Last edited by panda; 05-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    KZXten likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Another Commodore old-timer
    Weren't we all?

Cheers, Dave
    KZXten likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast