• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: WARNING -- Please Read -- Things NOT to do on your Thrive

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times

Exclamation WARNING -- Please Read -- Things NOT to do on your Thrive

OK folks. I am seeing a trend here and I thought I should post this for all to read.
    1. Do NOT load ROM Manager on your Thrive! It is not compatable with the Thrive and can cause you issues.
    2. Do NOT try to load any version of ClockWorkMod onto your device unless it is the one posted here by one of the Devs, Moderators, etc. (or a member you know and trust)! Loading an incompatable version of ClockWorkMod can cause some really bad things.
    3. Do NOT use ClockWorkMod to format your SDcard!
    4. Do NOT use ClockWorkMod to partition your SDcard!
    If you do any of the above, you can and probably will BRICK your device. We will not be able to help you fix it. The only thing you will be able to do is send it back to Toshiba so they can reflash the device with a low level flashing tool. Consider yourself warned. If you are uncertain about what you are doing, please ask the forum. There are a lot of smart people on here that can advise you. Just because an app is available on the Market and can be installed, does not mean it is safe for you to use. Any of the tools for root or ClockWorkMod or recovery or ROMs or anything simular are not universal and can cause real bad issues for you. It is much better to be safe than sorry. So, please ask befor jumping onto any of these type of tools. It may work fine on your phone, but this is not a phone and it is not running Gingerbread for an OS.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Hear, hear!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Excellent advice brother... tell it like it is

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Thanks DalePl, this should be required reading for anyone who wishes to take the rooting step.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes... don't be like me who tried to "Partition the External SD card" option in CWM (advanced menu) to end up with a brick. (This happened yesterday, I missed all the warnings on the forum) I have to wait til I get back to the states to send it back to Toshiba (if they will even take it...). So devastated! Wish there was a way to figure out how to do the low level flashing that they would have done...

(The other hilarious thing is that I also almost lost all the data on the flash drive because I thought it was smart to first move all the data to the internal drive of the tablet as "backup". Good thing photorec on linux could recover most of the images/videos)

All I wanted was to be able to get write access to my micro sd card from the tablet so I could flash the new ROM too.

*** Like he said, don't partition/flash the sdcard from CWM!!!!
    Last edited by eonwarped; 12-29-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by eonwarped View Post
    Yes... don't be like me who tried to "Partition the External SD card" option in CWM (advanced menu) to end up with a brick. (This happened yesterday, I missed all the warnings on the forum) I have to wait til I get back to the states to send it back to Toshiba (if they will even take it...). So devastated! Wish there was a way to figure out how to do the low level flashing that they would have done...

(The other hilarious thing is that I also almost lost all the data on the flash drive because I thought it was smart to first move all the data to the internal drive of the tablet as "backup". Good thing photorec on linux could recover most of the images/videos)

All I wanted was to be able to get write access to my micro sd card from the tablet so I could flash the new ROM too.

*** Like he said, don't partition/flash the sdcard from CWM!!!!
    and me too
    but the other problem with me was ,,,,,i select xoom from rom manger and then <<<<<<bricked device>>>>>>>
    Last edited by saifo1999; 12-29-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I have to admit that I will miss rom manager. It is one of the most useful utilities on the android market, which is why I purchased the premium version. The developer is very helpful, responsive And friendly.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Yep, but those XDA Devs are snubbing the Thrive, so fooey on them.

I've had Motorola phones, so ROM manager is useless to me on anything but the OG Droid.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hey guys I emailed the developer of rom manager and very nicely requested that he add a warning about its incompatibilty with the Thrive. Hope that might help someone who doesn't read this forum, from downloading the app, not knowing what it will do.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    It really is not ROM Manager per say, it is ClockWorkMod. Rom Manager will try to install ClockWorkMod, but I think it will fail. If it does install, it will be the wrong one.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads