• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help!! Boot Loop and can't Hard Reset

Please bear with me as I'm not very TechY! Just want our thrive to work again

- Thrive is about 4 months old
    - was left with low battery
    - All of a sudden, there was a black screen asking for password (we did not set any password)
    - Then it now shows the loading 'Toshiba Screen' with NVIDIA, but it keeps looping with this screen (shutting off, then starting up showing this screen, and continues like that forever).
    - I tried doing the 'reset' by holding the volume up and pressing power. It opens a screen with 2 icons, the box with the arrow pointing out, and the android. If i choose either, it just goes back to the Toshiba screen, and keeps turning off, then cycling with the Toshiba screen again and again.

I tried plugging it in, and doing the same thing with power. I tried doing it with removing the battery and being plugged in. I tried leaving it plugged in a while to charge the battery, then doing it without it plugged in. I tried removing the battery for a while, putting it back in, etc etc... all these combos result to the same thing.

There's a blue small battery, I suppose is the backup - i can't figure out how to remove it. And don't want to yank it out as I don't know what I'm doing.

I've seen other people with this issue ... but seems like they were able to hard reset it with the volume/power keys.

They keep asking if you're 'rooted', what does this mean?? We haven't done anything to it out of the box, and don't care if we lose what was saved on it.... would just like it to work again.

Please help!

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Have you tried holding power button in while its on until it turns off completely (you should not stop holding if the "do you want to shut down screen comes up) continue holding until it is off.
    Toshiba Thrive 16G, Viewsonic Gtab, Pandigital Novel
    Alienware Aurora R3-Intel i7 2600K, 16 gig 1600 ram, 2-GTS 450 in SLI (each has 1.5 gig mem.), 120 gig SSD, 1T 6gig second hard drive, liquid cooled, Blu-Ray player/DVD burner w/lightscribe

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Make sure you completely charge it as soon as you can. Always work on it with it plugged in.
    Alienware Aurora R3-Intel i7 2600K, 16 gig 1600 ram, 2-GTS 450 in SLI (each has 1.5 gig mem.), 120 gig SSD, 1T 6gig second hard drive, liquid cooled, Blu-Ray player/DVD burner w/lightscribe

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Did you try this? see if this link helps:

Hard Reset

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for responding - yes I tried all 3 (hard reset, turning off completely, completely charging - although I can't tell without it coming back on if the battery charged all the way, I just left it plugged in for several hours, then trying again). Everything I've tried, it just keeps looping with that Toshiba/Nvidia screen - I'm able to get to the menu screen with the Reset (white box with arrow coming out) and Android button, but even after selectin these buttons, it keeps looping to the Toshiba screen.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Just making sure .... With power plugged in and you power up with the Volume + held down, you get to the screen with the White Box w/ arrow screen ... using the volume button to select the White Box and then pressing the power button (to select it), the unit just goes back to the Toshiba/Nvidia screen. If this is the case, this looks to be one for Toshiba Support.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    I am afraid you have a bad problem. You will need to get with Toshiba to get it fixed. If you are in your return window from where you got it, then get it swapped out.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Remove Ads

Ads