• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    KevinSmithESQ

Ok, from what I gather.......

Is it true that with the new update we are now able to root our devices? If I were to root, does that give me the ability to remove these bloatware apps to make some room on my little 8gb Thrive? If so, I think I will venture down that road, just to make some much needed room until I can get a big sd card on sale ;-)

Thanks for all the help and info everyone has given me to date. I love this site, and haven't spent this much time on a forum in years. Now i just need to find a root and ROM for my wifes new Pandigital Supernova tablet. The cheap 3rd party version of Android that comes on it is amazingly horrible!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    It is true, the devs have gained root ability on the OTA 3.2 update.
    Yes you can remove bloatware.
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    The new update removes the recovery so rooting is not able to be accomplished (or harder to acheive). After rooting and doing a nandroid backup via CWM recovery(transfer the backup to an external source so it is not lost), you can flash dalepl's rooted stock ROM (found in the hacks section of these forums) where he has removed some of the bloatware, but you can remove it all if you want to free more space. I recommend using the titanium backup app to remove these as you can freeze them or uninstall them all together easily.

Currently, Android 3.1/3.2 Honeycomb does not support saving apps to SD yet, most likley a feature Android 4.0 ICS will have since it is a necessary function for phones. As for the Pandigital, go to the Slatedroid forums, I had a Pandigital Novel and that forum was pretty good for ROMs for that device. Don't expect a better android os because I don't think it exists for those. Mine ran android 2.1 éclair and was horribly slow and unresponsive, rooting and ROMing it made it somewhat better but I definitely don't miss it after getting my THRiVE. Hope to have answered some of your questions.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gnarlynick; 12-11-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROOTED
    3.15.651.16 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Asus Nexus 7 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean

Toshiba THRiVE Android 4.0.4 ICS ROOTED
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarlynick View Post
    The new update removes the recovery so rooting is not able to be accomplished (or harder to acheive). After rooting you can flash dalepl's rooted stock ROM where he has removed some of the bloatware, but you can remove it all if you want to free more space. I recommend using titanium backup to remove these as you can freeze them or uninstall them all together easily.

Currently, Honeycomb does not support saving apps to SD yet, most likley a feature ICS will have since it is a necessary function for phones. As for the pandigital, go to the slatedroid forums, I had a pandigital novel and that forum was pretty good for ROMs for that device. Don't expect a better android os because I don't think it exists for those. Mine ran android 2.1 éclair and was horribly slow and unresponsive, rooting and ROMing it made it somewhat better but I definitely don't miss it after getting my THRiVE. Hope to have answered some of your questions.

Unless I am mistaken the devs just came up with the tools to root and ROM those that have installed the latest OTA update
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Yes, you guys now have the ability to root the OTA HC 3.2.1 that removed fastboot.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrman View Post
    Unless I am mistaken the devs just came up with the tools to root and ROM those that have installed the latest OTA update
    My bad, since I've been rooted I haven't been following when you can and can't root.

iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROOTED
    3.15.651.16 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Asus Nexus 7 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean

Toshiba THRiVE Android 4.0.4 ICS ROOTED
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadNuke View Post
    Now i just need to find a root and ROM for my wifes new Pandigital Supernova tablet. The cheap 3rd party version of Android that comes on it is amazingly horrible!
    Try Slatedroid for references to successful root with Gingerbreak 1.2. Referenced here also

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    KevinSmithESQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarlynick View Post
    As for the Pandigital, go to the Slatedroid forums, I had a Pandigital Novel and that forum was pretty good for cROMs for that device. Don't expect a better android os because I don't think it exists for those. Mine ran android 2.1 éclair and was horribly slow and unresponsive, rooting and ROMing it made it somewhat better but I definitely don't miss it after getting my THRiVE. Hope to have answered some of your questions.
    That's cool, I am more concerned about removing the 2gb of crap that came preloaded on the 4gb internal drive for it lol.
    Thanks, I'll check them out for that. She just uses it as a reader anyway, but she plays a few games on it an it lags less than my Thrive at times >.<

As for rooting and adding a ROM, I have always been paranoid about bricking my device lol. I lost the ability with my Samsung Captivate and found after installing the Froyo update that I got screwed by my cell carrier and lost root abilities. I havent looked into it with the Gingerbread update tho, because I have been having too much fun with my Thrive! I am probaly one person who should actually get into ROM development, because I am extremely picky when it comes to things moving and being placed a certain way with home screens and such that most people wouldn't even looks at it the same way I do lol. Is there a video around of what Dalepl's ROM looks like? I'd like to see it in action before I decide to switch
    Nothing against the ability of the devs, but I tend ro be stupidly anal with the way things work lol

Kev.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I loaded his rom, went straight from stock.out of the box and loaded his and didn't notice anything different, as far as home screens and usability etc. Maybe people who ran stock longer can tell you but it seems to run almost exactly like my Xoom tablet with 3.2.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    All my ROMs are actually stock with only minor changes. Most of the pre-installed apps are moved to the user installed area. The OOM Rooted ROMs are the smoothest. I have optimized the out of memory settings and changed the app priorities to allow the screen scrolls to be smoother.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads