• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: poor wifi signal reception with thrive

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I was having issues with wifi dropping on my logitech revue google tv box, I set my QoS priority for its mac address to highest on my netgear router and no issues since. Possibly try that for your THRiVE? Mac address can be found in settings>about tablet>status. QoS settings are in your router setup via a web browser. If you are buying an extender i recommend the netgear wn2000rpt. I connect my THRiVE and EVO to that, my laptop to the 5GHz channel my dual band router puts out.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gnarlynick; 12-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROOTED
    3.15.651.16 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Asus Nexus 7 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean

Toshiba THRiVE Android 4.0.4 ICS ROOTED
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    There is a "hook" with HoneyComb WiFi that keeps the WiFi connection from "dropping" when streaming media. It may be that under normal circumstances the WiFi is "drifting" off to conserve battery and just takes longer on some routers to re-establish the connection.

Just curious, are you set up with an IP assigned to a specific MAC address? I have my routers set up to assign (via DHCP) a reserved IP to each MAC address allowed access.

Quote Originally Posted by cmurphy View Post
    I have the same problem on my second floor. Always loosing connection on my thrive, but never on my laptop or I touch. It's funny the one time I don't loose connection on the thrive,is when watching Netflix. I setup a Linksys G router on first floor, but that doesn't help. Maybe I'll have to get a better router for a repeater.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    After reading this thread I decided to compare my wireless devices. Logged into the router and found little variance between my Thrive, a Dell laptop and the PS3. All were 50 to 54 percent as reported by the router. The winner was a D-Link web cam which came in at 65 percent. In its favor was the external antenna. It also sits higher. That puts my Thrive on par with the other wireless devices. All devices are in the same room with three walls between them and the router in single story house.
    bobj likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    There is a "hook" with HoneyComb WiFi that keeps the WiFi connection from "dropping" when streaming media. It may be that under normal circumstances the WiFi is "drifting" off to conserve battery and just takes longer on some routers to re-establish the connection.

Just curious, are you set up with an IP assigned to a specific MAC address? I have my routers set up to assign (via DHCP) a reserved IP to each MAC address allowed access.
    Later I was thinking, maybe Netflix is loading it into buffer, that's why I experience no stuttering or disruptions with movies. I downloaded the Wifi Analyser, very neat tool!.. I have both my Netgear main router and my Linksys repeater on seperate Channels, tried moving them around a lil , but that didn't help.. I see some neighbor net in there, but on different channels away from mine.. more on the middle channels.. I had my two on 1 and 11... I don't assign IP addresses, but I do use MAC Address filters.. I generally end up getting the same IP for my devices... I was thinking of grabbing that Netgear repeater I saw on this thread on Amazon.. but I saw a lot of 'bad' reviews so couldn't pull the trigger on that...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Does anyone know? Just bought a new Linksys E4200 router and the first night I swear had a better signal than I do now. I say this after I let the Connect. Express update the router. Guess my question is if I do factory reset from the router admin page will it revert to the firmware it came with? Any suggestions will be helpful. Sorry didn't want to start a new thread as this was about wifi reception maybe I just haven't payed attention to it lately. Thanks for any and all help!

Evo Shift 4G->Rom Changes Daily (Flashing OCD)

Toshiba Thrive->DaleNet-Thrive-HTK55D.31.5.0002-Modded_Stock_ROM-v1.2.zip w/ OOM Rom

Why it Takes so long to get Updates:

http://goo.gl/rYRTz

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxRider View Post
    Does anyone know? Just bought a new Linksys E4200 router and the first night I swear had a better signal than I do now. I say this after I let the Connect. Express update the router. Guess my question is if I do factory reset from the router admin page will it revert to the firmware it came with? Any suggestions will be helpful. Sorry didn't want to start a new thread as this was about wifi reception maybe I just haven't payed attention to it lately. Thanks for any and all help!

If you have updated the firmware, no the Linksys 4200 will not revert to the firmware it came with if you do a reset. It does not keep prior versions in memory.

That is a very good router, it is not likely the firmware upgrade weakened your signal.
    You can check the Linksys site for the Release Notes for this firmware . (I looked and did not see anything obvious).
    Check the Broadcast Strength parameter and set it to max if it is not already, some firmware versions are occasionally released with it set lower.

You can also probably manually download the prior firmware from the Linksys support site.
    If you do, make sure you get the firmware that matches your hardware model AND HARDWARE VERSION. There are two hardware versions of the Linksys4200 and each has different firmware.
    Last edited by bobj; 12-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    More than likely due to the lease not having expired....

Quote Originally Posted by cmurphy View Post
    I don't assign IP addresses, but I do use MAC Address filters.. I generally end up getting the same IP for my devices...

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for the response bobj, do you know wherein the router admin menu I can find the broadcast settings ? I am feeling like not user accessible. You are right tho so far this is a very good router sped things up quite a bit. Easy to install . Thanks for your help .
    Quote Originally Posted by bobj View Post
    If you have updated the firmware, no the Linksys 4200 will not revert to the firmware it came with if you do a reset. It does not keep prior versions in memory.

That is a very good router, it is not likely the firmware upgrade weakened your signal.
    You can check the Linksys site for the Release Notes for this firmware . (I looked and did not see anything obvious).
    Check the Broadcast Strength parameter and set it to max if it is not already, some firmware versions are occasionally released with it set lower.

You can also probably manually download the prior firmware from the Linksys support site.
    If you do, make sure you get the firmware that matches your hardware model AND HARDWARE VERSION. There are two hardware versions of the Linksys4200 and each has different firmware.
    Evo Shift 4G->Rom Changes Daily (Flashing OCD)

Toshiba Thrive->DaleNet-Thrive-HTK55D.31.5.0002-Modded_Stock_ROM-v1.2.zip w/ OOM Rom

Why it Takes so long to get Updates:

http://goo.gl/rYRTz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads