• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Connecting to a VGA projector

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question Connecting to a VGA projector

I teach college classes and would like to use my Thrive attached to a VGA projector to view videos, powerpoint presentations, etc. I saw a very inexpensive cable that is HDMI to VGA. Will that work since the signal does not have to be upgraded (like if I was going VGA to HDMI)? Or will I need the more expensive connection? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure that it would work. Android 3.1 Honeycomb supports all the plugs you could dream of.
    good luck in finding the answer, but I think mine is reasonable.
    If it is a converter, then I suppose. But check with other members on whether it is or not (I bet they will come!)
    Barry likes this.

gadget fanatic, and a thriveforums super mod.

Have a problem THRiVE Related? Check out the ThriveForums Official THRiVE FAQ's

Afraid of getting in trouble? New Member? Read OUR GUIDELINES

my_devices: Android: Toshiba Thrive (not rooted, stock 3.2), Kindle Fire (not rooted, stock), Sony S1 (not rooted, stock), SE Xperia PLAY (not rooted, Android 2.3 w/ QQLauncher Pro) iOS/Other: 2goPad Windows OS Tablet, Apple iPad 2, Apple iPad 1, iPod touch 1G/4G

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    A passive cable likely will be insufficient for converting the digital HDMI signal to the analog VGA signal the projector is expecting. You should look for an active cable or device with an embedded DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) at the very least to do what you want. Do you need audio? If so, you want a device that syncs the video / audio stream as well since the analog video / audio have to be separate inputs into the projector I would assume.

Something like the following would work...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 (optional but required for audio. Your application / situation may require a different length).
    Last edited by epakrat75; 07-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    CLyons likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for your answers. I guess I'll look around for a cable with the converter. At least I don't need audio too. I can hook up the speakers to the Thrive.
    techelec likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epakrat75 View Post
    A passive cable likely will be insufficient for converting the digital HDMI signal to the analog VGA signal the projector is expecting. You should look for an active cable or device with an embedded DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) at the very least to do what you want. Do you need audio? If so, you want a device that syncs the video / audio stream as well since the analog video / audio have to be separate inputs into the projector I would assume.

For only $44.55 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA & Component (YPbPr) w/ Audio to HDMI Converter | VGA to HDMI Converters

For only $0.53 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6inch 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack Cable - Black | 3.5mm & RCA Audio Cables (optional but required for audio. Your application / situation may require a different length).
    epakrat hit the nail on the head.
    Vclark and epakrat75 like this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I recently bought a Thrive, and on a hunch I also ordered the HDMI to VGA adapter being sold for $40 by HP on their hpdirect.com site. It works beautifully on my old InFocus VGA projector, which is the roughly the same kind of box we have mounted to the ceilings in the classrooms at the university where I work. I am very pleased that it works as well as it does.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks. I believe that will be my best option. I appreciate your input!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you want a slightly cheaper option, here's a similar device on Amazon: Amazon.com: Accell UltraAV B101B-003B Display Port with VGA Active Adapter: Electronics

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone tried to do this using an USB cable?? I've noticed many projectors have an USB input.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by epakrat75 View Post

For only $44.55 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA & Component (YPbPr) w/ Audio to HDMI® Converter | VGA to HDMI Converters

For only $0.53 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6inch 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack Cable - Black | 3.5mm & RCA Audio Cables (optional but required for audio. Your application / situation may require a different length).
    Forgive my lack of understanding, but I just want to clarify. If I were to buy something like what is in the above link, would all I have to do it attach the cable from the projector (which is suspended in the ceiling and a long cable runs down the wall) to this converter box, then attach a cable from my Thrive to the box and it will work? The active cable or device with embedded DAC is the one I need to connect from my Thrive to the converter box?

I need plain English for this not so techno savvy girl.

Thank you for the help!

Ads