• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Simple solution for external sdcard write access on Android 3.2...if you're rooted

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Simple solution for external sdcard write access on Android 3.2...if you're rooted

I've found a simple solution for gaining write access to the external sdcard (/mnt/sdcard2) on Android 3.2. The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...meaning they only have read access to the card.

The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet.

After this change, any apps that request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (which includes almost anything that access either of the sdcards) will gain group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw, giving them r/w access to both sdcard filesystems.
    dalepl, Boriquaman, hlb3 and 11 others like this.
    HTC One X - 4.0.4 ICS
    Toshiba Thrive - CM10 Convoluted Crocodile-U3

My addiction to technology is limited only by my lack of time for pursuit.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Great find. Just tried this and it worked great.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    So, i have to ask because i'm not aware of the problem you've mentioned...your post made me wonder if i had this problem after updating to 3.2. I have NOT performed the fix you mentioned above.

Here is what is did to test this issue with 2 different cards - an sdxc card and a micro sd card....

i have used the stock toshiba file manager, i have copied a file from internal sdcard, pasted to the external sdcard2, then deleted the file. I used root explorer and copied from internal sdcard and pasted onto external sdcard2...

Due to the fact that i could paste the file onto sdcard2, this tells me i have both read and write permissions on my external sdcard2 doesn't it?

Does this fix something else? or did i get lucky and not have the problem you've mentioned? If this fixes a different problem, what is it?

Thanks for your help in understanding this.
    Last edited by dandroid7; 11-19-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    THRiVE 16gb
    CM10 Jellybean 4.1.2 (built from source with pio_masaki's trees and kernel)
    TWRP Recovery (built by pio_masaki)
    GL2SD
    128gb Lexar 400x UHS-i Class 10 SDXC Card

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    I've found a simple solution for gaining write access to the external sdcard (/mnt/sdcard2) on Android 3.2. The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...meaning they only have read access to the card.

The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet.

After this change, any apps that request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (which includes almost anything that access either of the sdcards) will gain group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw, giving them r/w access to both sdcard filesystems.
    It works. Thanks

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thesithlord; 11-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    You are awesome! It was driving me crazy that Titanium wouldn't let me write backups to the external card anymore.

Sent from my Toshiba THRiVE using Tapatalk
    -Rooted Toshiba Thrive
    -Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandroid7 View Post
    So, i have to ask because i'm not aware of the problem you've mentioned...your post made me wonder if i had this problem after updating to 3.2. I have NOT performed the fix you mentioned above.

Here is what is did to test this issue with 2 different cards - an sdxc card and a micro sd card....

i have used the stock toshiba file manager, i have copied a file from internal sdcard, pasted to the external sdcard2, then deleted the file. I used root explorer and copied from internal sdcard and pasted onto external sdcard2...

Due to the fact that i could paste the file onto sdcard2, this tells me i have both read and write permissions on my external sdcard2 doesn't it?

Does this fix something else? or did i get lucky and not have the problem you've mentioned? If this fixes a different problem, what is it?

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

It is a different problem. The built-in file manager already requests the correct permission, and I assume root explorer must do the same. However, if you use ASTRO, AndroZip, or Ghost Commander (as examples) it does not work. Also, and more importantly, some document editors do not work correctly. For example, Documents to Go can't save a file onto the external sdcard and can't update an existing file on the card.

I assume it's a hit-or-miss issue. Any app that requests the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission will have write access to the external card, while those that don't will only have read access.
    HTC One X - 4.0.4 ICS
    Toshiba Thrive - CM10 Convoluted Crocodile-U3

My addiction to technology is limited only by my lack of time for pursuit.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Nice. I'll have to try this out, thanks

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    It is a different problem. The built-in file manager already requests the correct permission, and I assume root explorer must do the same. However, if you use ASTRO, AndroZip, or Ghost Commander (as examples) it does not work. Also, and more importantly, some document editors do not work correctly. For example, Documents to Go can't save a file onto the external sdcard and can't update an existing file on the card.

I assume it's a hit-or-miss issue. Any app that requests the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission will have write access to the external card, while those that don't will only have read access.
    Thanks for the explanation, now I'm tracking what this does... Root explorer does not seem to want to let me edit the file... what app can i use to edit the file?
    THRiVE 16gb
    GL2SD

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Root Explorer should. Did you make the direcory read/write with the button at the top?
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Root Explorer should. Did you make the direcory read/write with the button at the top?
    Paul, i did mount it as rw, but was having issues editing it... so i dl'd the app Script Manager, opened Root Explorer, mounted system file as rw, followed the path to the file, long pressed the file, opened with Script Manager, edited the file as noted above with script manager, saved the changes, remounted system file as ro, closed Root Explorer, rebooted.

THANKS to both you and GaragOffice for clarifying this for all of us.
    THRiVE 16gb
    GL2SD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads