• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Simple solution for external sdcard write access on Android 3.2...if you're rooted

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I made the edits using root explorer's file editor, but I stumbled a bit before I was successful because of a mounting issue. Once I got past that it worked out fine.
    HTC One X - 4.0.4 ICS
    Toshiba Thrive - CM10 Convoluted Crocodile-U3

My addiction to technology is limited only by my lack of time for pursuit.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Many thanks for the tip. Since the 3.2.1 update I have been frustrated because I could not organize my data the way I wanted. It's great to get the flexibility.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    I made the edits using root explorer's file editor, but I stumbled a bit before I was successful because of a mounting issue. Once I got past that it worked out fine.
    I'm a dweeb.... after reading your post i went back and looked at Root Manager some more, i realized the menu continued below the page and you could scroll down the list to access more options when long pressing the file - i hadn't scrolled down the list far enough to see the text editor. Dooohhh!

Regardless, now i know two ways to do this type of task. Thanks again for helping me understand and learn more about my thrive. It's great having a place like this to learn.
    Last edited by dandroid7; 11-20-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    THRiVE 16gb
    CM10 Jellybean 4.1.2 (built from source with pio_masaki's trees and kernel)
    TWRP Recovery (built by pio_masaki)
    GL2SD
    128gb Lexar 400x UHS-i Class 10 SDXC Card

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    I've found a simple solution for gaining write access to the external sdcard (/mnt/sdcard2) on Android 3.2. The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...meaning they only have read access to the card.

The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet.

After this change, any apps that request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (which includes almost anything that access either of the sdcards) will gain group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw, giving them r/w access to both sdcard filesystems.
    I went to check this out to see if this was blocked, but it wasn't. I had installed root uninstaller prior to checking.. Do you think this wrote the file oer and added the permission for me?

it has rw permissin for external sd card...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I hope you guys can help me here or point me to the right direction. I have been having lots of issue with the sdcard. I can't copy some files to the sdcard and can never do a full backup sucessfully using CWM. However, backing up to internetal memory works. I tried to copy the whold CWM backup folder to the sdcard so that I can run restore in the future from the SD but I can't copy some of the system files over. Do you guys think it is the same issue with the wiring permission? I tried editing the file and add an entry but i don't know exactly how to edit the file and whre to add the entry. I know nothing much about scripting. I did try to add the line for testing, however, but I couldn't save the file. Any advice here is appreciated.

daihung

Edit: I'm on 3.2.1 0002 OOM Rooted ROM.
    Last edited by daihung; 12-31-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daihung View Post
    Hi all,

I hope you guys can help me here or point me to the right direction. I have been having lots of issue with the sdcard. I can't copy some files to the sdcard and can never do a full backup sucessfully using CWM. However, backing up to internetal memory works. I tried to copy the whold CWM backup folder to the sdcard so that I can run restore in the future from the SD but I can't copy some of the system files over. Do you guys think it is the same issue with the wiring permission? I tried editing the file and add an entry but i don't know exactly how to edit the file and whre to add the entry. I know nothing much about scripting. I did try to add the line for testing, however, but I couldn't save the file. Any advice here is appreciated.

daihung

Edit: I'm on 3.2.1 0002 OOM Rooted ROM.
    I've been through... Hades and back with this.
    I've gone as far as to
    1. RMA my thrive with newegg (all I have to do is put it in the mail)
    2. Root
    3. tried to backup to external - failed (never could write to my SD card but the first thing I did was run the service center update like a nub) backed up to internal, copied the backup to flash drive
    4. tried to flash Dael's rooted 3.1 but it said it couldn't read the External SD. so I booted back to Android and copied Update.zip to internal SD FROM EXTERNAL SD!!! (lulz) and I'm gonna attempt to flash back to 3.1 and hope that fixes it.
    5. bought Root Explorer, made the change described in this thread, still can't create folders or files in external card. The native file manager says it fails. Root explorer says it succeeds but doesn't.

EDIT: OOPS backup to external SD card didn't fail completely It only failed one backup image of /data... read my notes wrong.
    Edit 2: Status update - it looks like after making the change found in this thread the flash to 3.1 rooted through CWM is working from external as expected... I have no idea what installing 3.2 is doing to some of us unlucky ones it means big big trouble.
    Last edited by CLPence; 01-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandroid7 View Post
    Paul, i did mount it as rw, but was having issues editing it... so i dl'd the app Script Manager, opened Root Explorer, mounted system file as rw, followed the path to the file, long pressed the file, opened with Script Manager, edited the file as noted above with script manager, saved the changes, remounted system file as ro, closed Root Explorer, rebooted.

THANKS to both you and GaragOffice for clarifying this for all of us.

What? whos mother? and why so much?........

thank you for trying to explain but for some of us this is still to much....is there a video link you can point me to...to get this done....

thank you, you will be helping many

update..tried to use file manager honycomb but it cannot save the extra stuff you wanted for us to write..give me a save error....ahhhh help please...im rooted 3.2 32 gig sd card.....fat32

update it is now 2:58 in the morning....i finally figured it out...but now...i cannot download anything larger than 4gigs...says android does not allow it.......ahhhhhh now what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to hate this tablet please help
    Last edited by dlilazteca; 01-14-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I am using dalepl OOM ROM for 3.2 and Root Explorer with no problems writing to the external sdcard. I can copy any file then navigate to the external card (/mnt/sdcard2/) and paste. The permissions in the file are already set, as stated above, in this OOM ROM.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Happy to find out that this trick worked on my Galaxy Tap 7plus also!

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    -Rooted Toshiba Thrive
    -Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    dlilazteca, what you are seeing is probably the fat32 limitation of 4gb max file size, not an Android limitation. I have personally copied 6+gb media files to my sd card. Of course, that requires the card to be formatted as exfat rather than fat32.
    HTC One X - 4.0.4 ICS
    Toshiba Thrive - CM10 Convoluted Crocodile-U3

My addiction to technology is limited only by my lack of time for pursuit.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads