• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 128
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Simple solution for external sdcard write access on Android 3.2...if you're rooted

  1. #111
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    15542
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    I would have used the sock file manger but for some reason mine does not have the rename capabilities. I have downloaded a number of file managers to no avail. Using any one of the downloaded managers I'm able to rename files on the internal drive. On the external drive in ICS I get the 'you don't have peemission' when attempting to do a rename.

  2. Ads


  3. #112
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    107
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    6,530
    Liked
    922 times
    Stock File Manager, select directory or folder, select menu and there should be an option to rename (unless the card is quite protected).
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

  4. #113
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    3885
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    7,845
    Liked
    1295 times
    You don't see rename in the menu? It's not an icon like some of the others.
    Cheers, Dave

    ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

  5. #114
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    13149
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    118
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    I've found a simple solution for gaining write access to the external sdcard (/mnt/sdcard2) on Android 3.2. The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...meaning they only have read access to the card.

    The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet.

    After this change, any apps that request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (which includes almost anything that access either of the sdcards) will gain group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw, giving them r/w access to both sdcard filesystems.
    I just applied the patch, detailed in the original post, to my rooted ICS -- IT WORKS!

    Update: Just want to add that it is absolutely useful to now be able to copy and paste between the internal
    storage and my 32gb external sdcard2. It is equally useful to be able to wirelessly transfer files to sdcard2
    using Wifi Transfer Pro.

    Here is a little background info on this hack that I found in a cached paged on google:


    On many devices, the internal flash is considered the “primary SD card.”
    The real SD card then becomes the secondary external storage, and is locked down—protected by the
    unattainable “WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE” permission.


    Chainfire submitted his question to the Android Developers Office Hours team, and they ended up discussing
    it in their live hangout on April 11. Unfortunately, the Google engineers present in the hangout were not able
    to provide any real answers, as this is a complicated issue and the question was only raised an hour before
    the show went live. They have however promised to get to the bottom of this issue, and get back to Chainfire
    (and us) at a later time.


    Also according to Chainfire, the problem is actually present on ICS builds for the SGS2 as well, though
    Samsung “worked around it using a very ugly permission hack“:
    <permission name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >

    <group gid=”sdcard_rw” />

    <group gid=”media_rw” />

    </permission>
    What you see here is Samsung piggybacking the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission to the
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, so apps do not experience the described problem.

    Whether or not Google intended for connected SD Cards and USB sticks to be limited to be
    read-only for third-party apps remains to be seen. It does however give birth to a disturbing
    thought: What if the code and accompanying notes are Google’s first stages of implementing
    some sort of write protection for external storage, and thus further limiting our mobile freedom?

    We can only hope this is a genuine bug, as freedom is one of the very reasons we all avoid the Dark Side.

    [Huge thanks to Chainfire for the heads up and help!]
    Last edited by mrbcx; 08-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    ttmoo likes this.
    Toshiba Thrive 10" My Setup | TWRP 2.4.1.0 | Kuroikaze Shinka B25 | Balthesaur 2.8 kernel

    • Favorite Apps: Go Launcher HD, Solid Explorer, Wifi Transfer Pro, Dice Video Player, Music Folder Player, CoPilot Live (USA), Screenshot UX, Kingston Office
    • Favorite Games: Robo Defense, Riptide, Guerrilla Bob, Asphalt 6, Six Guns, Demolition Inc, Temple Run, World of Goo, Helidroid 3D, Killer Bean



  6. #115
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    19238
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageOffice View Post
    I've found a simple solution for gaining write access to the external sdcard (/mnt/sdcard2) on Android 3.2. The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...meaning they only have read access to the card.

    The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet.

    After this change, any apps that request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (which includes almost anything that access either of the sdcards) will gain group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw, giving them r/w access to both sdcard filesystems.
    I'm trying to download torrents directly to ext_SD. I did the process and I'm using utorrent, but when I point to save to ext show an erro "Error: No such file or directory (WriteToDisk)". Please can anyone help me on that?

  7. #116
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    14717
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    265
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schaeff View Post
    I'm trying to download torrents directly to ext_SD. I did the process and I'm using utorrent, but when I point to save to ext show an erro "Error: No such file or directory (WriteToDisk)". Please can anyone help me on that?
    You can't download files directly to external SD card until the developer of utorrent or ttorrent figure out how to do it.....for now use ghost commander to transfer your files I recommend SD card writing speeds over 50...it take seconds to transfer the files.

    sent from SPB shell 3D ICS Rom Darkside v2
    schaeff likes this.

  8. #117
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    17580
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    435
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schaeff View Post
    I'm trying to download torrents directly to ext_SD. I did the process and I'm using utorrent, but when I point to save to ext show an erro "Error: No such file or directory (WriteToDisk)". Please can anyone help me on that?
    You could edit vold.fstab so your tablet uses your sdcard as your internal memory and will mount your internal memory as sdcard2..... but if you have game data and things like that on your internal storage that would all have to be transferred to the sdcard.....

    Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    schaeff likes this.

  9. #118
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    19238
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diesburg View Post
    You could edit vold.fstab so your tablet uses your sdcard as your internal memory and will mount your internal memory as sdcard2..... but if you have game data and things like that on your internal storage that would all have to be transferred to the sdcard.....

    Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    I tried to edit vold.fstab, but I made something wrong and I had to flash my device. I will be very happy if you help me edit my vold.fstab (see below)
    ----------------------------
    # Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
    #/devices/platform/awsmc.3/mmc_host for sdio
    dev_mount sata /mnt/sata auto /devices/platform/sw_ahci.0
    dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandk
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto/devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host
    ---------------------------
    thank you

  10. #119
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    15365
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    344
    Liked
    53 times
    Anyone try this on sdxc cards? My brother in law wants to get one for his new Thrive.
    ____________________________________

    Cheers Zires

    Have owned many PDA's and Device from Palm Pilot to Android to Apple. Currently have an Opitimus V, Toshiba Thrive, and an iPad (3rd generation).

  11. #120
    Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    20642
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times

    Emerson EM543 Tablet

    Just a tag for Polaroid and Emerson EM543 Tablets which are already rooted, this totally works.


 
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast


Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

error write to disk file too large utorrent android
,

file too large (write to disk) android

,
file too large write to disk
,

file too large write to disk android

,

file too large write to disk android utorrent

,

file too large write to disk utorrent android

,

invalid argument storage ttorrent

,

invalid argument write to disk

,

invalid argument write to disk utorrent

,
invalid argument write to disk utorrent android
,

no write external storage entry found

,
utorrent file too large android
,

utorrent file too large write to disk android

,

write to disk error utorrent android

,

write to disk utorrent android

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.