• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Simple solution for external sdcard write access on Android 3.2...if you're rooted

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    I just wish I were more comfortable "playing" with the file system. Directory Bind and the sdcard/sdcard2 swap are kind of neat, but I have to feel that either one adds another layer of complexity to an OS that may still have a bug or two left to find. PLUS I don't want to rely on hacks to an OS that's going to be replaced in the near future by one that might not support said hacks.
    I guess, lacking the ability to do a proper complete backup, I've become a bit gun-shy.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I do keep my backups on my pc as well. As long as I never have to do anything due to an emergency switching the storage back would not be a problem.

I look forward hopefully to a day when all of this playing around with things might not be necessary and I can get things where I need them. This sd card thing really seems to be about the only big issue I have seen for me with this tablet. When I bought it I figured it would be like my phone and apps I wanted on the sd card could just be moved there and life would be good. I will say I would not give up the convenience of the ports for another tablet and for the price I paid I can do much more than my students that paid twice as much for an ipad.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    The directory bind thing seems like it could help but like danvee it scares me as well. Might try it with one app that I could easily lose data on and restore just to see if it works. Have to work up the guts first.,.,

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    It does seem like when we get ics Roms any binding that is done would be undone by the new os setting up so it seems like it shouldn't be an issue at that point. I basically trying to get to where it works best until hopefully ics fixes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Well, I don't play around with this stuff either, not so much out of fear as much as expecting they might not work in the future. So, I tend to work around them and this is the main reason I opted for the 16G and probably should have went with the 32G given how many large apps I test.

I don't mind workarounds, but I still think the long-term solution is to get developers to deal with sdcard2 correctly. If they do it now and do it right, futures OS changes shouldn't cause problems. Of course, Toshiba could probably do something too, so maybe ICS will have some good news.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    So I decided to go back to the external being my sd card 2 (just wasn't excited about all of my backups being seen as on internal storage) and decided to try the directory bind with the caustic program. My logic was i would delete end up deleting the program anyway so it was worth a shot. It does now seem to be finding the data off of my sd card and not the internal. Anyway, this should seems to have possibly solved my major issue.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by wigginst; 07-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    That works for some, but not for all, so it's pretty much trial and error. It's nice that you're willing to test this stuff and post your results.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    The most important thing is the app I really needed it to work with it did. Will definitely be a case by case situation.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there anyway to gain access to write to an external SDCard without being rooted? Pre-ICS I as able to but not I lost that access.
    Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMack View Post
    Is there anyway to gain access to write to an external SDCard without being rooted? Pre-ICS I as able to but not I lost that access.
    Thanks.
    I tried it on an unrooted ICS Thrive, and can do it with the stock file manager. Which app are you trying to use to write to or from the external SD card?
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads