• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: [WARNING] Future OTA Updates

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times

Exclamation [WARNING] Future OTA Updates

I am posting this here so all of you can read it. It is important that all of you know that all future OTA updates will NOT have fastboot in the recovery menu. That being said, Toshiba did provide a roll back capability for HMJ37.31.5.0011, but this may not always be the case. The safest thing to do is to not do the OTA update and wait until I or another Dev has posted one of our updates. As it stands, if you loaded my HMJ37.31.5.0011 ROM, then you will not be able to install an OTA update anyway. If you want an update, you will have to wait for me to post a new update.

Toshiba has done a good job with their ROMs and even though we may not get the information or update as fast as we would like, I would have to say that we have one of the most stable and functional devices on the market. All of us know that the HC 3.2 update will be released soon. Do not ask when, I do not know. I am waiting too. Remember, it is not a major update, so do not expect to see a whole lot of difference. Also, Toshiba did not remove fastboot to stop development. It is an agreement that Toshiba has to abide by with Google to protect DRM, so they are only doing what is required of them. I have already herd why don't they offer a version without DRM. Although this a nice thought, it is not practical for them. Supporting different version of the same release is a nightmare, so they will not even look at that.

Now again, if you do any OTA update after the HMJ37.31.5.0011 and loose fastboot, if Toshiba does not provide a rool back capability, you will no longer be able to load a custom ROM or root your device. This is your fair warning, so if after the next release you find yourself locked out, the only answer you will get from me is that you are SOL unless you can send your device back to Toshiba to have HMJ37.01.5.0032 loaded back onto it.

I am saying this now so I do not hear alot of complaining about the next update (although I probably still will).
    Additional Reading: ATTENTION: - PSA - New Owners / Members / Lurkers - READ BEFORE YOU ROOT!!!

UPDATE: As all of you know, HC 3.2.1 has been released. As warned, fastboot had been removed from the recovery menu as it had been in HMJ37.31.5.0011 HC 3.1 ROM Update. Now since the release, we have had no way to root this release for the people that updated their device before seeing the warning.
    That is until now! I am happy to report that we have now cracked the rooting problem. There are two tools available to all of you for rooting the HC 3.2.1 US OTA now.

UPDATE 2: Again, as all of you know, the latest OTA update release again broke the ability to root. And again, that was until @TurnYourBackAndRun fixed that for all of you. As before, there are two different tools to root the current (and actually past too) ROM build. You can find my Universal Easy Flash Tool in my development section and a variety of tools made by @TurnYourBackAndRun in the general development section.

Please thank all those involved for bringing this to you. Enjoy
    Last edited by dalepl; 04-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    It really seems as if the Thrive community has reached a crossroads. Either you follow the Toshiba upgrade path and never root, or you root and follow the community provided updates. It's a shame that the manufacturers continue to force these choices when you should be able to do what you want with a product you bought and paid for.

I still haven't rooted, and I'm inclined to just follow Toshiba. As you say, they've been very good about updates. I'm inclined to say, we've already seen more updates than most devices ever get from the manufacturer, and for the most part the quality of the updates has been good. The devs here have done a good job, but they aren't really doing anything as dramatic as has been seen on other devices.

Anyway...just my 2 cents.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Technically you still have the "choice" to do what you wish with the product you paid for..... Update from Toshiba or wait for Devs to give you Root ability. They haven't taken that away. (I know that isn't what you meant ...)

I totally agree with your observations that the updates from Toshiba have been "good" in the sense that they try their best to vet/test their updates before they push them to the public. While folks are crying foul about not having a HC 3.2 update yesterday, following discussions about other tablets that got their updates early, they were buggy and caused as many problems as they fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelGrad1998 View Post
    <snip> It's a shame that the manufacturers continue to force these choices when you should be able to do what you want with a product you bought and paid for.

<snip>and for the most part the quality of the updates has been good

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well yuck. I'm really hesitant to root my thrive because I'm a sissy lol. But now that this would be my last chance to ever root?...... I would like to someday when this device is a bit older and i don't care of it brick it lol.

What if I root now and the developers decide to buy a different tablet and we're left not getting any support? Don't know the Odds of that happening, but is it a legitimate concern?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Root + overclock. Awwwwesome. Will never turn back. Thanks Paul

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    lecie likes this.
    ~ Exile

Toshiba Tank - OOM + Overclocked
    HTC Evo 3D - not rooted "yet"
    Lenovo Y560 - i7q720, ATI 5730, G700

Rooting Guides: BatFish CWM Guide | Dalepl Roms | Bilgediver Root Videos

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    Droid, as it stands, you can revert back to stock and update through the toshiba service app. If the Devs jumped ship and left us stranded (doubtful since they've been so great), you could return to stock and go that route.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Well yuck. I'm really hesitant to root my thrive because I'm a sissy lol. But now that this would be my last chance to ever root?...... I would like to someday when this device is a bit older and i don't care of it brick it lol.

What if I root now and the developers decide to buy a different tablet and we're left not getting any support? Don't know the Odds of that happening, but is it a legitimate concern?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Unless you are buying me one, I will be with my Thrive for quite a while. I do not make enough money to buy every latest toy that is out. Man, my PC is five years old. I do not avocate root for all. It is for those that want to. I wish there was a true option in all of this. My hope that once 4.0 is released, some of the really good hackers can find a hole in it and make it able to be rooted regardless of fastboot or not. Time will tell. Until then, I am going to do my best to provide rootable ROMs for those that want to use them.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    MY HERO !
    snicker
    megamon likes this.
    FAQ
    Guidelines of Conduct
    We "Thrive" to keep it clean, Help each other out, and have fun !
    If you enjoyed my nonsense feel free to hit the like button.
    Toshiba AT100/16 GB sporting CM10.~ I have no affiliation with any device manufacturer, developer, or application, Any contained statements by me are merely my own opinions to be taken as such ~

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I am on the fence right now. I have been rooting Motorola phones for a good while, but mostly because they did a terrible job of providing updates and insisted on skinning them and loading them with bloatware horribly (plus there was always a chance that it was the end of the update line anyways). None of those have been an issue with the Thrive so far (except for the bloatware). I am patiently waiting at 0032 with fastboot there just in case. I really do miss Titanium and AdFree though! I also would like to see a straight 3.2 exploit root (once 3.2 is released of course) without a ROM as it makes it easier to load an OTA over it if there is no forseeable future for rooting the device.

Chris
    Last edited by sliding_billy; 11-08-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well first iwanna thank all the devs for keeping things real...honestly i want to root my at100 but im not to confident that i will be satisfied with the rom..but at the same time i kniw there is alot of good custom roms out there made by some good devs..so im caught in the middke..either toshiba gives me the 3.2 or ics either or im ready to see something different

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads