• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: [WARNING] Future OTA Updates

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Perhaps we need to "edit" the original post in this thread as the World Has Turned and we have a New Day thanks to all the hard work and sacrifices made by many community members!

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    OP has been updated!
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Boot to SD Card???

Hi All:

I just purchased a Thrive (AT105-T108) and I know nothing about it yet. However, I have a Nook that I (sort of) rooted. I never changed the stock OS, but it boots from a SD card into Android 2.2. Is there the option to do that on Thrive? I have found for my purposes that this method is great for me. I have a Nook and I have full function Android tablet. Just not the bells and whisltes the Thrive has... Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Don

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    No, that is not setup in the kernel, so if you want to root or have a different ROM, you have to flash it to the device.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank u very much

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @dalepl -
    I'm still trying to comprehend your response ...

I understand that I can no longer 'root' my device because of the OTA version I now have installed.
    You mentioned that 'root' is not required to replace your ROM.
    If I install the ClockWorkMod I can install unofficial loads [unofficial loads are ROMs and Mods?]
    Then you say without 'fastboot' there is no way to currently flash a new recovery image onto the device ...
    - - -
    I think I'm getting that sentence confused with the following sentence ...
    Without the recovery image ClockWorkMod, there is no way to flash a new ROM or mod

If I install ClockWorkMod - will I be able to remove the games off my Thrive? There are quite a few programs that I know for certain I will never use - and don't understand why we can't remove them.
    I saw that there is a suggested link for a "Noob" to follow to root the device - is there one just for the purpose of using the ClockWorkMod to install a new ROM or mod?

Sorry for all the questions - steep learning curve...

Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Well, as you know, since you have already updated to HC 3.2.1 via Over-the-Air (OTA), you cannot root or replace your ROM. Root is not required to replace your ROM. What you need is a recovery module that will allow you to install unofficial loads. That is what ClockWorkMod allows you to do. Without fastboot (which the update removes) there is no way to currently flash a new recovery image onto the device. Without the recovery image like ClockWorkMod, there is no way to flash a new ROM or mod. If you try to load one of the ROMs or mods, you will get a signature verification failure due to the stock recovery checking for a Toshiba signature in the file. It is encrypted, so it can nat just be hacked and it is liked to the number and size of the files that are being installed, so if you copy the signiture file to another file or modify the file it is in, there will be a missmatch and it will fail to load.

As for acronyms, the best way is to Google them or in our case here, just ask, anyone will enlighten you. You will not be called some dumb ass for not knowing. If you are, be sure that individual will catch hell from the rest of us. We want to maintain this as a user friendly enviroment for all to ask and learn. You may be pointed to a location for your answer or even answered and then directed, but you will get an answer.

Also, you asked about a ROM. Well that is a term that has morphed over the years. Ir stands for Read Only Memory and was originally one shot (image burned once and had to be replaced to change). Now they are really protected memory that you only have access if under certain enviroments. In our case, it is through ClockWorkMod and being able to flash unofficial ROMs and Mods.

Root is essentially having admin rights on the device. A superuser is one that has root rights. So, if you load a root enabled app, it will request root access and the superuser app will intercept and you allow the app to be elevated to superuser or not.

Google is the main resource for answers. This forum and others like it have a welth of information, but there is no single place to find everything.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Well, first, since that post, we have achieved root for the HC 3.2.1 OTA. If you go to my devlopment section, you will find a root tool made just for HTK55D.31.5.0002 OTA. Start there. Once you have rooted, you can then load a new ROM (since the tool loads ClockWorkMod) or just use your ROM as si. It will allow you to remove the pre-installed apps once you root.
    Last edited by dalepl; 12-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    JP2R likes this.
    My Development

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Dalepl
    -
    Will head over that way ...
    -- Jae

Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Well, first, since that post, we have achieved root for the HC 3.2.1 OTA. If you go to my devlopment section, you will find a root tool made just for HTK55D.31.5.0002 OTA. Start ther. Once you have rooted, you can then load a new ROM (since the tool loads ClockWorkMod) or just use your ROM as si. It will allow you to remove the pre-installed apps once you root.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, please help a newbeeee out. What if rooted? Is it like jail breaking? I know that is for the Iphone but I'm just trying to understand.
    Thanks

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Yes, it is the same principle. Rooting an Android device is allowing apps root (admin) access to system level files that you cannot normally access.
    My Development

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads