• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: [WARNING] Future OTA Updates

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To delepl -

Just as I had purchased the Thrive - I was updated to what everyone is saying is the 3.2 - and I was reading the links provided on what rooting was/is and why and why not do it ...
    I also tried looking at a post you made - about not updating [which was too late for me] - and then I looked at another of your posts for a ROM for the 3.2.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what ROM is? It's the memory of the device - correct? In the reading I understood that the only way to remove those applications was to be the 'root' or Super User ....

If the ROM you provide removes the unnecessary applications - will I still be able to get the OTA updates you are all discussing? If so that would be great ... I'm not looking for total geekness over the device - just don't want those applications ...

can you share with me other threads that I should be reading? I've done the FAQs and all the beginning things - been pretty much going in order ... also ... is there a place [looked in the FAQs] for acronyms? I also have been reading - on the recommendation of someone from the forum about Android - outside of this forum - to get a better idea about it and it's many 'flavors' ...

As always you are very very helpful ...
    /R
    -- Jae
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    What ROM load are you on? If you want a way to remove, you could load mu modded ROM. I have moved the apps so they can be uninstalled, but the ROM itself is not rooted. Loading a ROM or rooting is quite safe, so no need to worry you will mess your device up. Just take your time and read the instructions.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Well, as you know, since you have already updated to HC 3.2.1 via Over-the-Air (OTA), you cannot root or replace your ROM. Root is not required to replace your ROM. What you need is a recovery module that will allow you to install unofficial loads. That is what ClockWorkMod allows you to do. Without fastboot (which the update removes) there is no way to currently flash a new recovery image onto the device. Without the recovery image like ClockWorkMod, there is no way to flash a new ROM or mod. If you try to load one of the ROMs or mods, you will get a signature verification failure due to the stock recovery checking for a Toshiba signature in the file. It is encrypted, so it can nat just be hacked and it is liked to the number and size of the files that are being installed, so if you copy the signiture file to another file or modify the file it is in, there will be a missmatch and it will fail to load.

As for acronyms, the best way is to Google them or in our case here, just ask, anyone will enlighten you. You will not be called some dumb ass for not knowing. If you are, be sure that individual will catch hell from the rest of us. We want to maintain this as a user friendly enviroment for all to ask and learn. You may be pointed to a location for your answer or even answered and then directed, but you will get an answer.

Also, you asked about a ROM. Well that is a term that has morphed over the years. Ir stands for Read Only Memory and was originally one shot (image burned once and had to be replaced to change). Now they are really protected memory that you only have access if under certain enviroments. In our case, it is through ClockWorkMod and being able to flash unofficial ROMs and Mods.

Root is essentially having admin rights on the device. A superuser is one that has root rights. So, if you load a root enabled app, it will request root access and the superuser app will intercept and you allow the app to be elevated to superuser or not.

Google is the main resource for answers. This forum and others like it have a welth of information, but there is no single place to find everything.
    JP2R likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

will "rooting" prevent upgrade to "ice cream sandwich"

I have read that rooting your Thrive prevents using "Service Station" upgrades. Does that mean that rooted devices will not be able to update to 4.0-Ice Cream Sandwich??

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    [Q1UOTE=mudman;51764]I have read that rooting your Thrive prevents using "Service Station" upgrades. Does that mean that rooted devices will not be able to update to 4.0-Ice Cream Sandwich??[/QUOTE]

Service station upgrades work just fine, except if they are actual rom updates, then they will not. However we will still be able to get ICS because once it is released the developers will take a copy and make it available for those of us who are rooted so we do not loose root or fastboot. Thatvis what happened for the 0011 3.1 and 002 3.2.1 updates. And they were available at virtually the same time as the ota updates from service station.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Oklahoma but lived most of my adult life in New York City.
    Liked
    40 times
    I know I sound like a pest but is it safe to install 3.1.01.5.003 2 (from Sept. 15) which is waiting to be installed in Service station (I currently have 3.1.01.5.0018). Two question 1) Will this update harm my thrive in any way (or affect it negatively in any way)? Have any people had problems after installing it?) and 2) will it prevent me from being able to root in the future if I decided to???

Al

PS Sorry to be so skittish but after my Samsung tab disaster, I amd very gun shy about updates (I did a bad update on my Samsung and destroyed the WiFi among other things)! It one of the reason I got the Thrive!
    Last edited by AlPeaston; 12-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Your in the US? I have not seen that load, but it should be fine to install.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Yes, In the US (Oklahoma near Tulsa). I bought this Nov 24, 2011 (tthanksgiving night from Buydig.com onsale for $308.00. 0018 was the build I got it with!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    HMJ37.01.5.0032 is OK to install. The space between the 3 and 2 threw me off. It should not hurt anything and is fully rootable. Actually all the ROMs are fully rootable now.
    My Development

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    OK, update went wihout a hitch. I am on HMJ37.01.5.0032. Now it want me to update to one with 0011 as the last 4 digits. Is this the one to avoid because it takes away the ability to root???

Also there is an update for LtoDSLservice update, is this OK to update?
    Al

PS Thanks for the kind patience, I feel silly being a 59 year old retired college computer programming teacher but I am familiar with Android at all (though I love not being stuck with Windows for a change)!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPeaston View Post
    OK, update went wihout a hitch. I am on HMJ37.01.5.0032. Now it want me to update to one with 0011 as the last 4 digits. Is this the one to avoid because it takes away the ability to root???

Also there is an update for LtoDSLservice update, is this OK to update?
    Al

PS Thanks for the kind patience, I feel silly being a 59 year old retired college computer programming teacher but I am familiar with Android at all (though I love not being stuck with Windows for a change)!
    Yes, if you want to root, then just stop there. The other update is OK to load. As for feeling silly, don't. I am 50 and a CS grad, but I still am learning this thing.
    My Development

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads