• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: [WARNING] Future OTA Updates

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    HC 3.2 is coming. That has been announced. Just be aware, if you load it, you may loose the ability to root. That is why I started this post.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey Dale, I'm running your HMJ37.01.5.0032 stock ROM and when I try to flash to anything I get the Android ! of death and have to power cycle. It doesn't matter if I use a stock update (which I didn't expect to work) or another one of your updates (the last one I tried was the HMJ37.31.5.011 v1.1) - same dead screen on Clockwork reboot...

If what I am reading is correct, I can flash a stock update? I didn't even know I could do that? I don't mind going to stock, since my Thrive is basically stock with your .0032 update, and I only did that to gain access to Netflix a few weeks early...

How do I get back to stock and/or update again - maybe I just got a corrupt zip in the .011 update? Any thoughts?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    You should have no issues with the ROM going to stock. If you really want to go full stock, then load the fully stock 0032 ROM and then do the 0011 OTA update through the Service Station. As for why it is not loading right now, I do not know why. I have tested it and others have loaded it too. Try redownloading. Be sure to check the md5 on the file to see that it is OK.
    waazzupppp likes this.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To my mind there are two major flaws with the stock image
    1: the bluetooth implementation is generic Android. Who offers A2DP without AVRCP anyway?
    2: for a system that has so many USB ports, the USB device support is marginal at best and, in my opinion, uh, `needs some work`.
    These coupled with the fact that Toshiba seems to be unloading Thrives makes me think that their focus will be on follow on platforms. Net: If the Developer community doesn`t address these gaps, then they will not be filled. Hence, I`m gonna avoid stock as long as I can...

Tom
    From my Thrive.
    Oh, and thankyou very much for bringing this to our attention, Dale.
    Last edited by TomWS; 11-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWS View Post
    To my mind there are two major flaws with the stock image
    1: the bluetooth implementation is generic Android. Who offers A2DP without AVRCP anyway?
    2: for a system that has so many USB ports, the USB device support is marginal at best and, in my opinion, uh, `needs some work`.
    These coupled with the fact that Toshiba seems to be unloading Thrives makes me think that their focus will be on follow on platforms. Net: If the Developer community doesn`t address these gaps, then they will not be filled. Hence, I`m gonna avoid stock as long as I can...

Tom
    From my Thrive.
    Oh, and thankyou very much for bringing this to our attention, Dale.
    I think the unload is in expectation of the 7" model, which is still their next release, and it's pretty much the same hardware, so, I'd bet the roms from it will run on the larger. The 'unload' doesn't scare me since they're for the forseeable future staying in the android game.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    Technically you still have the "choice" to do what you wish with the product you paid for..... Update from Toshiba or wait for Devs to give you Root ability. They haven't taken that away. (I know that isn't what you meant ...)
    Yes, you know what I meant. They feel like they have to save us from ourselves, and I understand there are some who need to be "saved". But taking away full access from your device is just BS, IMHO.

And yes I've seen the DRM excuse (and I'm not pointing that at Toshiba). But the fact is, it's much much harder to break DRM on an Android than it is on a Windows PC, for example...and yet they don't require you to remove admin access to your PC in order to play protected content.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    ...got slow at work today and decided to root and load the 032 OOM ROM. Nice work dalepl and thanks for all your work. I think I will stay on 032 at least until a 3.2 ROM comes out as I don't see any advantage to being on 011 and don't really feel like restoring a backup or going through the multiple loads of ROM/Root/assorted fixes. For those of you who have went to 011 rooted, can I ask why bother (other than OCD getting the best of you because you know there is a newer version :-) - I am trying not to fall victim to that myself)?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
    I am on the fence right now. I have been rooting Motorola phones for a good while, but mostly because they did a terrible job of providing updates and insisted on skinning them and loading them with bloatware horribly (plus there was always a chance that it was the end of the update line anyways). None of those have been an issue with the Thrive so far (except for the bloatware). I am patiently waiting at 0032 with fastboot there just in case. I really do miss Titanium and AdFree though! I also would like to see a straight 3.2 exploit root (once 3.2 is released of course) without a ROM as it makes it easier to load an OTA over it if there is no forseeable future for rooting the device.

Chris

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
    ...got slow at work today and decided to root and load the 032 OOM ROM. Nice work dalepl and thanks for all your work. I think I will stay on 032 at least until a 3.2 ROM comes out as I don't see any advantage to being on 011 and don't really feel like restoring a backup or going through the multiple loads of ROM/Root/assorted fixes. For those of you who have went to 011 rooted, can I ask why bother (other than OCD getting the best of you because you know there is a newer version :-) - I am trying not to fall victim to that myself)?

Chris
    Glad you are liking the ROM. Well as for multiple loading, I have corrected that issue. Now you can load one ROM to go to 0011 and then load the root file you want. You would have to restore your apps and data as you said with Titanium, but right now the ROM runs real smooth. I may look at building a pre-rooted ROM again, then again, I may not since what I have works real good right now. As for why to update, the only reason other then the OCD you talked about is video quality. Some people reported better video quality with the 0011 ROM. Never really noticed myself. Anyway, waiting for 3.2 is not out of the question. I will get it posted as soon as it is released (I hope). Maybe without all the drama of 0011. I can hope. Anyway, enjoy the ROM.
    My Development

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I think I'll leave mine stock because it works just fine for my needs except for screen captures it's great...

One thing I wish for and this is off topic, is this dumb Quick Reply box that covers up the last part of the messages here on the forum. They need to get rid of this box and just have a Reply button like all other forums. Cant read the last line or two on many posts.....

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Twitter
    don't do!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    Unless you are buying me one, I will be with my Thrive for quite a while. I do not make enough money to buy every latest toy that is out. Man, my PC is five years old. I do not avocate root for all. It is for those that want to. I wish there was a true option in all of this. My hope that once 4.0 is released, some of the really good hackers can find a hole in it and make it able to be rooted regardless of fastboot or not. Time will tell. Until then, I am going to do my best to provide rootable ROMs for those that want to use them.
    Thank You for everything Paul you have really been the one that has helped us all the most, I have gone to the point of removing the service station from my thrive and all of the other Toshiba Garbage, I am just going to follow your lead. Was in best buy today and all of the tablets that I looked at, the fastboot was gone, the only one left with it was the HTC flyer and I checked them all. Guess Google is messing with the Dev community, cannot wait for them to start messing with the phone's too.Keep me in mind if you need a beta tester, it is the least I can do to help you out. Oh and I got you beat on the PC I have a HP Desktop that I am on right now that I purchased in 2001 it was one of the first with Vista.
    Last edited by moe3754; 11-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    HTC Vivid (stock ICS)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads