• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times

This is never mentioned before anywhere, How safe is it doing banking or paying bills

Are these tablets really safe to do anything like paying bills or banking or doing Ebay or Paypal.

I never once herd anyone talk about security issues about browsing.

I would like to here what people think about this type of stuff.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    It's probably safe because most of the browsers (maybe not all?!?!) will support SSL encryption. There's also some apps for some of the banks out there, like BofA.

I err on the side of safety and use a VPN service. (VyprVPN) Admittedly, if anything goes out unencrypted, it'll still go out of the VPN tunnel unencrypted, but it does protect me from my ISP and some of the hops. I mostly use it because my ISP throttles flash video (ala YouTube), so video won't buffer well enough to make it even watchable.

The point is - if you don't see SSL encryption, don't put your data out there! And if a company has a security breach that leaks your personal info, fire them and use someone else more trustworthy.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    So how do you see if they have SSL?

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    If you bank online through a browser / website then you should have little worry if you see "HTTPS" (this indicates that SSL / Secure Socket Layer encryption is in use) in the address bar after logging in. Alternatively, you can use a bank provided app such as the one from Chase. These apps are designed by the bank to provide a better, faster, just as secure method of delivering their products / services to you on your mobile device. Use of regular HTTP / or unofficial banking apps should be avoided. Of course, this is probably common sense.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    ok TY I see that on my bank web page. What is this (no items are being blocked with my browser Explorer 8 in Win7) its a lock on bottom with a green arrow going over the top. I tried to change it and it still says the same.

In private filtering

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    This is my Mobile security link to read up on from Wells Fargo if interested

https://www.wellsfargo.com/privacy_s...ct/online_tips

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Agree with what others have said.

But as with any device, be aware of what you do over any public Wifi. I've heard horror stories about email passwords being stolen...and usually, once they have your email, they have everything else.

Ads