• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By richarjb

Thread: Portable Hard Drive Error 0x80071AC3 (Dirty Hard Drive)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Portable Hard Drive Error 0x80071AC3 (Dirty Hard Drive)

Hi Everyone

I realize this is only marginally a Thrive issue. But its become a concern for us.

We are going to Italy, taking only our Thrive Tablet for photos, mapping, and email. To back everything up, and entertain ourselves on rainy days, we bought a Seagate GoFlex 500 gig Portable hard drive. I formatted it to exfat32, and loaded all our movies and back up files for the trip on the drive. It took awhile but worked. The Thrive read everything fine and still does. The problem is that the laptop (a windows 7/64 bit box) can no longer add files to the portable hard drive. I can delete, but not add. The Thrive writes without a problem. I also tried the drive on a windows Vista box and it just tells be that the drive is "write protected". A search of the net on the "dirty hard drive" which needs to be "chkdsk"ed revealed others with the problem but no solutions other than just wiping the drive and starting over. And yes, I tried all the various switches for "chkdsk". None worked. Has anyone else encountered this issue and hopefully has some insight? I think it is some sort of windows permssions error but am too long retired to now figure it out.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1951 times
    Did you remove the drive from the Thrive without unmounting it? Most new drives have a built in cache. If you pull the cable when the drive was writing the cache to the drive, it may have corrupted the drive. You may very well need to reformat the drive to fix the issue.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I had a similar problem when i formatted my hard drive with Windows. I download the exfat utility off the internet and uses it. My problem went away. I don't know why but it worked .

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Everyone

I have finally solved the issue. I ran "chkdsk" a 4th time. I used both switches in the graphical windows 7 utility. It took well over 2 hours before it even began to display progress and overnight to complete. According the "reports" screen, the problem was cross linked files in one of the ripped movies. The solution took longer than a complete rebuild, as all the files were backed up. If this had not been the case this would have at least worked.

The drive may have been removed without "dismounting" but disk caching is not available with exfat32 in windows 7 so I do not believe this to be the cause.

Hope this reply helps someone.
    thanks again
    Bill

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I figured I'd let anyone else that is having this problem should check out Hard Drive Error 0x80071AC3 Volume Dirty [SOLVED] ? Run Time Error -- it fixed it for me and it included a video on how to do it!
    pio_masaki and SteveCampsOut like this.

Ads