• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Maximum wireless link rate?

Hi guys,

I am trying some stuff with streaming and copying files from my media center to my thrive. For streaming video and audio the speed is enough, but for transferring a file (let's say 1gb movie for example) it is just too slow. I got a dual band router and my mediacenter is hooked up to the a band with 300 mbit/s, but according to network info 2 i can only connect with 72 mbit/s with my thrive to the network. Of course transferring a movie at this speed is a headache. Ll my other devices connect at least with 200 something mbit/s and are even more far away.

What are the maximum rates that you can achieve?

Thanks for some figures!

Edit: does anyone know the specs of the wireless chip built into the thrive? I hope it is the same in europe and US.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snipe; 09-19-2011 at 11:04 AM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    The WiFi chip is AzureWave AW-NH931 (for what it's worth as I can't find it listed at AzureWave's site).

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Someone else brought this up in another thread. 72 is the best I have seen out of mine as well.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    I think this is how the AzureWave AW-NH931 Half-height mini PCI card in your THRiVE breaks down:

......GPS: Azurewave AWT-GPS-S17 http://www.azurewave.com/product_GPS-S17_1.asp

......Bluetooth+WiFi: FM AW-NH611 http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-NH611_1.asp

............WiFi component: Broadcom BCM4329EKUBG Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

I am not sure if the GPS chip is on the PCI card or elsewhere ...

You will notice the THRiVE's WiFi is a low-power design, and it seems to be a single-stream 802.11n Broadcom design, within the AW-NH611.
    That is why you get speeds in the 70's mbps.

Anyone on the forum who has torn down the Thrive might confirm for us - did you find one or two wifi antennas?

An 802.11-n with two spatial streams (antennas) would give you about 140 mbps, and three spatial streams are needed to get to 300mbps.

I would love to swap the Azure card out for an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 simultaneous dual band card. (I love this card, I am getting 750mbp/s with six spatial streams on my "DIY" stuff) But I would lose my Bluetooth and I am not sure if the socket could supply enough power.. It is a standard half height mini-PCI socket ..... hmmm ... I would need to add the second and third antenna, but I already have those in my parts box....... then I need the Linux driver? ... not sure how to change drivers on android ...

It is easy enough to solder in another bluetooth chip elsewhere .... oh well ... project for another day ...

Thrive WiFi Card.jpgThrive broadcom chip.jpg
    Last edited by bobj; 09-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the info. That is a little bit disappointing. I guess i will have to make the file transfers with the sd card in that cases. Well, at least there is a pro for doing that - the battery lasts longer :-)

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Ads