• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to sell the Thrive or any other tablet.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times

Lightbulb How to sell the Thrive or any other tablet.

Most people may not be like me but we share the same state of mind when we are shoping around for gadgets. I want stuff to jump out at me. No I'm not talking about throwing something at me when I walk through the store. I mean let the product sell it self by showing a little of what it can really do.. This piece was inspired by me going to the store where I bought my Thrive, the Navy Exchange on my base. The Thrive along with the other tablets were just sitting there not even turned on. The Thrive was on but in sleep mode. So I decided to paly with it since I'm addicted to mine. The store has internet so I hooked up to it, next thing I know I was on youtube looking at music videos from VEVO. If you dont know who VEVO is well they are the only company other than the record themself licensed to put music videos on youtube and they're HD vids. Well anyways I was into the videos when I started noticing a small crowd gathering behind me. They were wondering what Tablet this was and how was it showing videos so clearly while streaming. Long story short I sold 4 Thrives and I dont even work there. My question is why not show the products potential. The Apple section is right next tothese tablets, and cost a hell of a lot more. But they sell more because they have the iPads and iMacs showing videos and other things that make you want to take a look. It jumps out at you. I left the videos playing on the Thrive and still saw people picking it up long after I left and came back. The store worker could not explain how the videos were showing because he didn't know the product and didn't see me hook it up to the store internet. You're welcome, learn how to sell a product and not just be lazy and rely on the iPad sales. Sorry for the long rant but I see this in every store.
    bobj and jorge505 like this.
    "You can please some of the people all of the time,
    all of the people some of the time,
    but never all of the people all of the time"

V Geezy

Currently on Smacked Up to Shazaam!!

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    They are too many Android Tablets for store employes to handle training of. Sadly, there is too much fragmentation and inconsistency in this products to understand the nuances of them all. Apple has very few by comparison and they all function in a consistent manner for the most part. If these retail stores also hire the least common denominator / slacker types then they may leave if they actually have to work. Unless Toshiba (or other OEM) provides incentive to said store to do emphasize one over another it's probably not going to happen. Apple may mandate how the store needs to display their products. I doubt other companies do that.
    Last edited by epakrat75; 09-16-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    jorge505 likes this.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Vegeezy, you are so correct. Most sales people do not even know the products. You do have to give Apple credit for thier promotions. They also usually have trained sales techs in all the places that sell thier device. iPad has been around for a while and hence most people are familiar with it. The Android tablets are new and as such, most people have no clue what they can do. I think the manufacturuers and even Google are to blame. They should spend more dollars promoting the devices and Google should really be out there and ranting about the capabilities of the Android system.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    I think the manufacturuers and even Google are to blame. They should spend more dollars promoting the devices and Google should really be out there and ranting about the capabilities of the Android system.
    Exactly what I said / meant.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i don't know where you all are shopping but i work for best buy's geek squad and...well i'm here lol. if someone selling tablets can't even connect it to the store's public wifi and use the built in youtube app to play some videos, they need to work for mcdonald's or something lol
    jorge505 likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    There's can be quite the disconnect between the knowledge of Geek squad staff and Sales floor staff though.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I was in a Best Buy today. Same thing. None of them were on.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    It can't be a power thing why are not on. Those flat screen tv's suck so much juice these tablets pale in comparison. Yes he said Geek Squad, that is a far cry from the normal store worker. The normal store employee can tell me anything about a laptop but can't even begin to tell me anything about a tablet. OMG, I don't too much blame the brand name as much as I blame the actual stores. most employees I see in the stores own a android phone, why can't they tell it's almost the same set up. If they would just think for second flashy things attract us. In some ways we are like children. Shinny brite things attract me LOL. At least turn them on and have them hooked up to the internet like the laptops. I asked that if you're in a store start messing with the Thrive and leave it there playing videos like on crackle.com or youtube and see how many people stop to look at it.
    "You can please some of the people all of the time,
    all of the people some of the time,
    but never all of the people all of the time"

V Geezy

Currently on Smacked Up to Shazaam!!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I do suppose being Geek Squad does matter over the regular employees working in the store but I just don't understand how anybody could work in a place 20-40 hours every week and not want to walk up to one of these shiny things and play with it long enough to figure out what it does on their own accord. Personally I would be embarassed to be an employee in a store and not have any idea what something does regardless of what department it's in. I guess that's what makes me geek squad and not one of them lol.
    Last edited by kurtlives97; 09-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Great Story!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads