• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to sell the Thrive or any other tablet.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtlives97 View Post
    I do suppose being Geek Squad does matter over the regular employees working in the store but I just don't understand how anybody could work in a place 20-40 hours every week and not want to walk up to one of these shiny things and play with it long enough to figure out what it does on their own accord. Personally I would be embarassed to be an employee in a store and not have any idea what something does regardless of what department it's in. I guess that's what makes me geek squad and not one of them lol.
    I have to wonder if you even noticed all the redesign and corporate emphasis in the area you speak of- its exactly the opposite where we are. Most of our floor people could easily run GS as a second job. Geography maybe.

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    That certainly bodes well for that location. However, my personal experience has been that you're the exception rather than the rule. I wish it were different and consistently better like you say across all geographical areas.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    But I don't get it. I know each store all over the country have the same confference calls and staff meetings. They preach and teach the same thing across the country right? I'm not even asking for the employee to know anything just that they turn the things on. Every Tablet has a demo mode to show it's worth. It's just crazy to me that the industry has not fully embraced the tablet yet. All you here is "Can this be the iPad killer" instead of just selling the darn thing LOL I said darn!
    "You can please some of the people all of the time,
    all of the people some of the time,
    but never all of the people all of the time"

V Geezy

Currently on Smacked Up to Shazaam!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I don't know how much emphasis is placed on product knowledge when the floor people are trained. Some seem knowledgeable on some items, while others seem to be in a zone. I have to say while moving around departments on Friday they were great at seeing if I needed assistance at the Johnson City, TN location.

I was able to stump one of them fairly quickly over a Bluetooth mouse.

Another rep and i discussed thrives and phones. He is waiting on the new iPhone. I said "You don't like to tinker as far as pushing them and figuring them out do you?" He replied no. Probably not the best department for him. He was very cordial though. Nice personality. I ran into him at the checkout while he was buying an energy drink for his break and told the girl to check his pockets as i had seen him shoplifting. They both got a kick out of it.

A girl rep came up to me over by the cameras and sd cards. Told her i was killing time looking around so she said let me show you this. Tokk me straight to a $1900 camera. She said you know i am kidding. I told her yeah and she got a kick out of me going along. Very personable and cute as hell.

Overall i found that they were a very positive group of young people. Courtesy is very important to me when i go into a store.

Tapatalk and Toshiba Thrive.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I cannot speak for all locales, let alone place direct attention to company pursuit or direction on the matter, (I hope you understand) but I can, and will speak to the credit and knowledge of the people I work with. My reluctance was set aside because I from my perspective, being involved in the sum warranted equal support. Our team is dedicated to (with much genuine interest and dedication) providing the best experience for anyone walking through our door and making the way to our department. Most of us own multiple tablets from the day they were released, and continue to refine/expand the knowledge. I feel bad for anyone experiencing less than the level of enjoyment we see our patrons procure. No offense was meant or implied.

I can say that without reviews such as what I have seen, nothing will improve and welcome anyone to bring it to the attention of the company.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgeezy View Post
    Most people may not be like me but we share the same state of mind when we are shoping around for gadgets. I want stuff to jump out at me. No I'm not talking about throwing something at me when I walk through the store. I mean let the product sell it self by showing a little of what it can really do.. This piece was inspired by me going to the store where I bought my Thrive, the Navy Exchange on my base. The Thrive along with the other tablets were just sitting there not even turned on. The Thrive was on but in sleep mode. So I decided to paly with it since I'm addicted to mine. The store has internet so I hooked up to it, next thing I know I was on youtube looking at music videos from VEVO. If you dont know who VEVO is well they are the only company other than the record themself licensed to put music videos on youtube and they're HD vids. Well anyways I was into the videos when I started noticing a small crowd gathering behind me. They were wondering what Tablet this was and how was it showing videos so clearly while streaming. Long story short I sold 4 Thrives and I dont even work there. My question is why not show the products potential. The Apple section is right next tothese tablets, and cost a hell of a lot more. But they sell more because they have the iPads and iMacs showing videos and other things that make you want to take a look. It jumps out at you. I left the videos playing on the Thrive and still saw people picking it up long after I left and came back. The store worker could not explain how the videos were showing because he didn't know the product and didn't see me hook it up to the store internet. You're welcome, learn how to sell a product and not just be lazy and rely on the iPad sales. Sorry for the long rant but I see this in every store.
    What base are you on? I was at the NEX inNorfolk not too long ago, and didn't even see any Thrives.
    jorge505 likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm a retired sailor, jus sayin'... They got them here at FT Jackson (army base in columbia, sc). The sales guy here was kinda a rock. He said he owned an iPad2 and it was kool... I was there buying my wife an iPad as that is what she wanted (she fell in love with my thrive first). She prefers mindless simplicity. The sales guy had the deer in the headlights look when she started asking questions. It amazed me how little he new of the devices in the store, under his care. Even of the device he himself professes to own. Oh yeah, I answered all of her questions...LOL WHAT A TRIP!!!
    epakrat75 likes this.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb w/8gb sdhc (micro w/adaptor)
    Rockin' dat HDMI dock...

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgeezy View Post
    Most people may not be like me but we share the same state of mind when we are shoping around for gadgets. I want stuff to jump out at me. No I'm not talking about throwing something at me when I walk through the store. I mean let the product sell it self by showing a little of what it can really do.. This piece was inspired by me going to the store where I bought my Thrive, the Navy Exchange on my base. The Thrive along with the other tablets were just sitting there not even turned on. The Thrive was on but in sleep mode. So I decided to paly with it since I'm addicted to mine. The store has internet so I hooked up to it, next thing I know I was on youtube looking at music videos from VEVO. If you dont know who VEVO is well they are the only company other than the record themself licensed to put music videos on youtube and they're HD vids. Well anyways I was into the videos when I started noticing a small crowd gathering behind me. They were wondering what Tablet this was and how was it showing videos so clearly while streaming. Long story short I sold 4 Thrives and I dont even work there. My question is why not show the products potential. The Apple section is right next tothese tablets, and cost a hell of a lot more. But they sell more because they have the iPads and iMacs showing videos and other things that make you want to take a look. It jumps out at you. I left the videos playing on the Thrive and still saw people picking it up long after I left and came back. The store worker could not explain how the videos were showing because he didn't know the product and didn't see me hook it up to the store internet. You're welcome, learn how to sell a product and not just be lazy and rely on the iPad sales. Sorry for the long rant but I see this in every store.
    Going into local retail stores its always hit or miss if you get someone that works there that actually knows what they're doing. Mainly because the common practice is hire them cheap, use them, then discard them. They're full of employees that really aren't paid enough to care beyond making that sale and attachments in order to keep on working. And it is hard to keep track of all of the tablets. I'm linked by RSS feeds to several android and tech websites just to keep "up" on each model and new information.

Someone comes in and first thing I hear is "what makes this different than an ipad?"
    Easiest reply is the flash, and tell the customer that they won't be able to view full animations and complete web pages vs the Android models.

Then it simply becomes a break down of What size of screen someone may be looking for 10.1" ? 7" ?

And I'll give a short breakdown of which models have what options SD card? USB? HDMI port? microSD card? removable battery? And I'll leave it up the customer to decide what options / features appeal to them.

I know I'll never be able to answer all questions, but customers always seem more at ease when I tell them that I own a tablet and tell them what I do with it. Sadly I'm the exception to the rule, most of the other employees don't even know where the power buttons are on the units.
    epakrat75 likes this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    I think that was because you were at an Exchange, I've noticed they are usually staffed by people who just don't care (Government Employees). 8 agree, Best Buy should be more helpful, but I am not suprised. Hell the only ones motivated to sell anything are the Apple Best Buy Employees. They sell it like they are getting a comission. I went in with my gf, was gonna get her a tablet and this guy seriously almost sold her on Apple, until I steered her to the Android Tabs and she fell in love with the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Twitter
    @DigitLefty
    Awesome thread. I still get questions on mine when I go into stores with mine. Proud thriver that I am I can market them quite well. I was looking for accessories in a place once and a guy intent on buying a xoom starts with the third degree on mine. When I left he was watching the thrive videos on a store laptop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads