• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Encryption????

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Johnarebee

Encryption????

I did some searching around the forum and it seems like the thrive has REAL data system encryption. This means any pre OS functions will be rendered usless, except recovery>system wipe. Backing up, restoring and any type of access to the system/data part of the tablet is not possible. Am i correct in saying so?

2. Ads

tz1
    Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    When thde tablet boots, it will be unlocked after you enter your password or pin and there will be no visible or functional difference, but the data will be encerypted so that without the pin, you can't get to the data. Some boot stuff is left unencrypted.

It appears to use 'luks'.
    Is your iPad battery low? Here, just plug it into my Thrive...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    I believe you are correct and the finer details that tz1 mentioned are also, just to get the system into a functional state.

Encryption may or may not be the best option for security. If you're worried about unintentional users picking up your Thrive and using it, then encryption will sufficiently defeat that. But if you're looking for physical security and recoverability in the event that it's stolen, leaving it unlocked may be a better option. Using an application like SeekDroid to locate a stolen device requires internet connectivity. You would WANT the potential thief to have access to the system and allow them hook it up to a network so the remote wipe and location identifcation functions will operate correctly. I leave mine unencrypted because if it is stolen, I will go knock on whomever's door with a friend or two.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I know your 2 friends....Smith & Wesson

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Precisely. S&W are some great friends.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Johnarebee
    thats what i figured, i'm an IT consultant for a company that works in rhe medical field so i often have confidential data i guess my best bet is to just use my sd card and keep it in my wallet and throw it in tab when data is needed. I like to keep often backups of the system, so i guess that would be my best bet.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xxtncxx View Post
    thats what i figured, i'm an IT consultant for a company that works in rhe medical field so i often have confidential data i guess my best bet is to just use my sd card and keep it in my wallet and throw it in tab when data is needed. I like to keep often backups of the system, so i guess that would be my best bet.
    The encryption does keep you from backing up the data when you try to use CWM recovery due to it loading before the system does. What some have forgotten or have not thought of is that with Titanium Backup or ROM manager, you can do backups that are not encrypted. These applications are loaded after the device is booted up. Hence they have access to the data. You do have to be rooted to use them though.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by revco View Post
    I believe you are correct and the finer details that tz1 mentioned are also, just to get the system into a functional state.

Encryption may or may not be the best option for security. If you're worried about unintentional users picking up your Thrive and using it, then encryption will sufficiently defeat that. But if you're looking for physical security and recoverability in the event that it's stolen, leaving it unlocked may be a better option. Using an application like SeekDroid to locate a stolen device requires internet connectivity. You would WANT the potential thief to have access to the system and allow them hook it up to a network so the remote wipe and location identifcation functions will operate correctly. I leave mine unencrypted because if it is stolen, I will go knock on whomever's door with a friend or two.
    I like your attitude

I do that with my phones using lookout.... the screech function is fun when one of my friends trys and mess with me by taking my phone
    S&W are great friends along with goodole mr double barrel

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    D1-rooted ss 5.5 lv 1.0ghz--------RETIRED
    Droid bionic stock rooted
    Thrive 32g- rooted dj_steve .32
    --------------------------------------------
    Theory it always works
    Practice it rarely does
    --------------------------------
    My projects
    Netflix Patch -ended (does not need work around)

Ads