• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sdean7855
  • 2 Post By panda

Thread: Picked up my old AT105 (And4.0.4) after many years but can't load or use old/new apps

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Picked up my old AT105 (And4.0.4) after many years but can't load or use old/new apps

Figured I would get it working for when I'm in the hospital with a knee replacement and after, but

• Gmail won't load, says it can't connect to server.
    • Can't connect to Google Play Store. Downloaded a copy of Google Play that was supposed to work with 4.0.4, but it encountered an error, said it had finished, but I can't find anywhere to start it.
    • Can't connect to Google from it, asks for a login but doesn't accept a known good gmail account and password
    • can't download chrome (no Google Play Store)
    • can't download Firefox, which seems to require Android V4.1

Most apps seem to want V4.1. This seems like the classic 'if we had some ham we could have some ham and eggs, if we had some eggs"
    FWIW, I have good wifi and the native internet browser seems to work in a linmited fashion. There is a cheery note from Toshiba that I am on my own.
    I usta be a Unix sysadmin, so am not utterly clueless.

I guess the question is:
    • Perhaps I need to get my tablet to Jelly Bean? If so, what is the most expedient and least complicated way of doing that? I realize that there is all kinds of appends about how to do that but many are many years old and represent Things That Are Done More Directly and Smarter Now. Help. Please.
    • Or perhaps I need to get a back-level connection of Google Play Store, Google and a real browser first that will work with V4.0.4?

Thanks in advance for whomever shows me the Short Path to Toshiba Enlightenment......
    cre8tivefix likes this.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Hi sdean, welcome! Yeah, you've run into problems stemming from Google essentially killing off Android ICS. The Google Play Store isn't supposed to work unless you have 4.1 or later, and in time we'll see it happen with future versions.

You could unlock, root, and flash one of Pio Masaki's JB ROMs, though I was having trouble the last time I flashed Shinka B25, with apps like YouTube opening but immediately closing. On the other hand, I might give it a try again since I can't use those apps anyway!

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

pio_masaki
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm running into that today. I've worked around it a little bit by using a different site to download apks, but it's pretty limited and apps that should work get parsing errors when I try to install them. I still use my thrive often though as a video player and a e-reader because it works so well and is so robust. LOL So I'm here today to see what I can do to bring it back to life.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Spare parts

I am glad to see there are a few Thrives still living. Before throwing away my parts for a AT105, I post its contents here to see if anyone has need or interest.

Top Case Assembly H000036130 (frame and glass)

Lithium Ion Battery Pack
    Colored Back Cover - Silver
    Colored Back Cover - Black
    All new in original
    packaging

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok so from this post I see I am not alone and I understand why it is so slow now. So what is a good and not so complicated way to bring its ROM up to speed?

Remove Ads

Ads