• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By helibobber

Thread: 7 (seven!) years + and my Thrive still works. A testament to its' design for sure.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

7 (seven!) years + and my Thrive still works. A testament to its' design for sure.

My family has gone through a couple laptops and pc's over the years yet our Thrive continues to serve. Oh I don't have many apps on it and don't bother to update the ones it has but the ones my wife uses (like Netflix and Media Player) still work fine. One of the corners has a chunk of plastic missing but the screen is intact and still looks great. I have three batteries for it and have rotated them every six months and they still hold decent charges, though we usually keep it plugged in 24/7. I remember early posts saying this was a bad idea but our device seems to have thrived on it.
    Anyway, we also have a new tablet with android 8.1 and lots of fancy capabilities but the Thrive remains the basic workhorse that meets my wife's simple needs. Now going on its 8th year. I doubt our new tablet will last half that long. Quite the machine I'd say.
    panda and Torrid like this.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    Our Thrive is kept plugged in and has a great screen size as our go-to for a quick weather forecast, or if we're watching something and want to check IMDB quickly without getting up for a phone. I also read e-books and occasionally play games on the nice 10" screen.

Google keeps kneecapping Android 4.0, unfortunately. The Play Store now requires at least Android 4.1, and how long before 4.4 is required? This means that when the YouTube app insists on updating before it can run, it can't update and will never run again. Fortunately the other apps we use haven't insisted on updates (not yet). In the meantime, we use Dolphin Browser for the occasional YouTube video, and Chrome works nicely for all other sites. When Google renders our Thrive unusable, it's unlikely we'd finally get a new tablet. We've never been the type to use a tablet predominantly, even after I got my wife the Thrive seven years ago, so she could have something smaller and lighter than her laptop to use in the living room.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Remove Ads

Ads