• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello....was looking for some rooting help

Hello,

I have been lurking on this site here or there for quite a few years now.

My story is I purchased a Thrive for my fiancee a few years ago and then purchased one myself. After a few months I accidently dropped mine on hardwood floors and it fell right on the corner causing a huge crack across the screen. I figured I would replace the screen and did all the research on it and decided to wait until prices came down. Fast forward 3+ years later....prices are still too high to fix it and my fiancee doesnt use hers so im taking hers over (switching her pink back for my navy blue one lol). I was looking to root it but wasnt sure how its done. I know a little about it from reading stuff here and on android forums but was looking for a step by step guide since im scared im going to ruin it. If it gets ruined at this point its not a huge loss but I have no idea on where to start. I am updated to the newest firmware currently on the device. Is that still a problem?

Thanks to anyone willing to help
    Last edited by Starmarbury03; 02-14-2015 at 12:25 PM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Hi, welcome to the forum! There is a tool that does it for you. As part of flashing Superuser, the tool unlocks the bootloader and installs custom recovery. Unlocking the bootloader will erase all user data and settings (a security measure that's part of Android itself), so take care in using this, and make backups first.

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When you say backups you mean of my system files?

How would I do that?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    You don't need to worry about system files, but things like movies or music you've put on your Thrive, which you don't have copies of elsewhere. When the bootloader is unlocked, it forces a factory reset as if you were turning on your Thrive for the first time.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Red face

I have a thrive that I just rooted and installed the black bean rom on . It's freaking awesome now . Go on YouTube and look it up its not hard at all . The rom is free

Remove Ads

Ads