• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Torrid
  • 2 Post By danvee

Thread: I Was About to Say Goodbye, but...

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times

I Was About to Say Goodbye, but...

As many of you know, I had moved on from my Toshiba Thrive as I obtained a Nexus 7 some time ago. However, I gave my Thrive to the wife, and she loves it. Three days ago, it just stopped working. It would not power on. Well, the first place I checked was here and went through a lot of the various threads on how to resolve this issue. Nothing worked, so I figured that I would be getting the wife a new tablet, a 10", and I started researching which tablet that would end up being (I, again, looked at the thread here on the topic of 10" tablets)--I expected it not to be another Thrive, and thus, I probably would be frequenting the board a lot less. Lo, and behold, my wife, in a slight fit of frustration and exasperation, banged the tablet "Fonzie" style (Yes, I know I am dating myself) and it came back to life! In the 24 hours since, it has been fine. I am thinking that something must be loose in the tablet, and I am trying to figure out what, because when I took the back off the device when trying to fix it, nothing looked amiss.

Anyhow, as it stands, I am not going anywhere (no goodbyes!) since the Thrive is still working!

(Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I have always said this is the best site on the 'net, so I probably wouldn't go anywhere anyway )
    Last edited by Torrid; 09-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    panda and rosalie like this.
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Good news!

I'd just go through and reseat all connections, especially those to the display, emmc, and switches (both ends of each). 👍👍

The teardown will show you.... http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures...hiba-thrive/1/
    zires and rosalie like this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Good to know the "Fonzie" thing worked. I'll have to remember that for future reference, lol.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Well, it did work for about a day and a half. This weekend, I was going to check out the video that danvee so nicely provided and get to work. However, today, the wife discovered a crack in the bezel of the Thrive and it is again not turning on. The difference this time is the lights on the side are working where as last time, they weren't. Did her Fonzie manoeuvre do this? Possibly. I don't know because I didn't get a good look after she did it.

I may be on the hunt again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Don't panic.... Plenty of "donor" devices on eBay....
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Sorry to hear that. As danvee said, you can usually find a "for parts" Thrive very inexpensively on eBay. Since these devices are aging, it's a good idea to have a donor device handy to switch out parts
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Good idea. According to the wife, this crack has been there for awhile, I didn't know about it since I don't use it anymore. So I guess I'll look at getting a spare and look at the danvee suggested video again.

Thanks, danvee...I believe I forgot to thank you earlier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Remove Ads

Ads