• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: If not a10" Thrive What?

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times

If not a10" Thrive What?

The Thrive is getting a little long in the tooth, I'll probably flash one of Pio's JB Roms soon but the thought always comes up. Some day I'll have to look to what's currently available. Have been hoping that a new Nexus 10 2 would come out but it looks less and less likely. Anyone wish to comment on what their next 10" tablet will be?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Honestly, I'm not enthused about anything that I'm seeing in 10" tabs.
    For example : The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is only 1280x800 with a Quad core 1.2G CPU and 1.5G of RAM. Although rootable and custom recovery/ROMs are available for the Tab 3, IDK about the Tab 4.
    Time will tell...
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    After using dalepl's ICS ROM happily for a long time, I'm now looking at flashing one of Pio's JB ROMs (finally) That will extend my Thrive's useful life for a good while,because, as Dan said, I just don't see anything currently out there that looks worthwhile. I too was waiting for an N10 2, but it appears they decided to go with making an 8 inch instead. I'm not willing to settle, so I guess I'll wait until someone comes out with another 10 inch tab that wows me, the way the Thrive's specs and features did at the time I got it. Thanks to Pio, though, I won't be using an ancient OS while waiting for the 'next great thing'
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    One of my friends recently got the new Galaxy Tab Pro 10, and his wife is still extremely happy with her birthday present. It has a more than speedy CPU, 3 gigs of RAM, 2560x1600 screen, stock Android 4.4, and weighs a little over a pound like the iPad Air while priced $50 less.
    rosalie likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    One of my friends recently got the new Galaxy Tab Pro 10, and his wife is still extremely happy with her birthday present. It has a more than speedy CPU, 3 gigs of RAM, 2560x1600 screen, stock Android 4.4, and weighs a little over a pound like the iPad Air while priced $50 less.
    Sorry to butt in, but just wondering if that tab is fully rootable? It sounds nice
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    It's supposed to be. As far as a downloadable stock image in case something goes wrong, that I don't know. To me, that's the biggest advantage of Nexus devices.
    rosalie likes this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    It's supposed to be. As far as a downloadable stock image in case something goes wrong, that I don't know. To me, that's the biggest advantage of Nexus devices.
    Samsung has Odin usually, so restoring from a bad choice or two is usually doable.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I am in the same boat with the rest of you. although I am noticing that manufacturers of tablets are coming back to the 10 inch tabs (figured people would get burned out on having a REALLY bit phone eventually) My wife has the Asus Transformer and for what we paid its a beast. But I get her every time cause it doesn't have the full ports like my Thrive. which is what sold me on it back in the day. I'm already running Pio's JB rom. so I'm set, but eventually the time will come when we will have to part ways. and I want it to be to my thrive's better counterpart not a downgrade.
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Very good question. I'm not really impressed with any of the 10s right now...and if I was looking for one, I would have been hoping for a Google Nexus 10.

Since I moved to the N7, I haven't looked at a ten, but since my wife has the Thrive, eventually I'll have to look.

My sister in law got a Galaxy Tab for Christmas, and she loves it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    rosalie likes this.
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I love my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. Great device.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads