• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Finally time to retire both Thrives

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Finally time to retire both Thrives

I was going to buy new tablets in June but didnt really see anything that I would be really happy with so I hung on to the Thrives.
    Now with Christmas just around the corner its finally time to retire both Thrives. Im getting 2 Samsung Note 10.1 (2014 Editions) one for myself and one for the wife.
    I guess I will put the Thrives in the closet for now.
    So in a few weeks I will move off to the XDA forums. These Tabs seem to have a lot of support.
    Thanks to all the Devs and everyone who has helped me out over the last 2 years.

Ken

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Sorry to see you go, but you've picked up a couple of nice pieces of hardware as successors!

If I may suggest, check with Pio if a deal can be worked out for one of your Thrives. He currently doesn't have one, which has put a stop in his development work.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Congrats on your soon to be new tabs, Hitch. Along with XDA, make sure you also check out this forums 'sister' forum for the Galaxy Note 2 and Note 3

Good luck and enjoy your new Tabs. And I second panda's suggestion re Pio and your Thrives. Your Thrives would probably like living a useful life in development, rather than being relegated to a dark closet
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Good luck with the new tablets. Jeanette now uses her Thrive much more than I do mine, though mine is still right next to me on its stand. I've gone back to a Windows laptop from Dell and the battery lasts about as long as the Thrive's. There is so much that I prefer to do on the laptop when it comes to finances, Google Maps Online and photos that the Thrive just doesn't get much love these days. I'm also devoting more time to my model railroad stuff designing a new layout for 2015 and that software only works with Windows.
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Daz,
    I almost went with the HP x2 half windows tablet and half laptop but in the end stuck with android. I have a office pc and an extreme gaming rig to do any heavy lifting.
    I have been a member of XDA for 5 years now with 4 different rooted phones so I know a lot folks over there.

Rosalie, I will check out the sister site, Thanks for the heads up.

I have ran a lot of Pio's stuff over the two years i have had the Thrive. I like the idea of trying to work something out with him for one of my Thrives. One is a 16 gig and the other is a 32 gig.
    I will still be around for a few more weeks until Santa comes

Thanks guys

Ken
    rosalie likes this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalie View Post
    Congrats on your soon to be new tabs, Hitch. Along with XDA, make sure you also check out this forums 'sister' forum for the Galaxy Note 2 and Note 3

Good luck and enjoy your new Tabs. And I second panda's suggestion re Pio and your Thrives. Your Thrives would probably like living a useful life in development, rather than being relegated to a dark closet
    Hey Rosalie Happy Holidays. I haven't been around the forum in a while dont know if you remember my Thrive stopped charging in the summer. I sent it in to Toshiba repair who then insulted me by asking $349 to replace the system board. Ouch! YOU know how much I loved my TT but I paid $400 for the 32gb new so they weren't going to get it. I was able to sell all my accessories on EBay and bought the Sony Xperia Z Tablet. Absolutely love it! It doesn't have the great features the Thrive had like replaceable battery and all the full size ports but its super light and water proof. Anyway I was wondering if you could recommend a forum just as good as this one. The Sony forum stinks. I don't know yet if I will root but may have to. There is a new update to 4.2 waiting for me to dl but they've changed the UI to that of a phone and I want to keep the tablet UI if I can.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Could try http://androidforums.com/sony-xperia-z/
    Or, if you have on your asbestos fire suit, you can go over to XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z
    They have little tolerance.....

IDK if FF has anything to offer as far as a sister forum.
    rosalie and JiveTurkee like this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Hi Daisy,

I was wondering whatever became of your broken Thrive. It is such a shame that we are such a throw away society, but there's simply no way to justify $349 to repair a tablet as old as the Thrive. I still have my Thrive, but have moved back to a Windows laptop as my primary. I also have 7" Samsung 2, but haven't even turned it on yet. We're waiting on a 2nd one that we got with some mattress sets we bought. When it comes, one will go to Jeanette and mine will become primarily a backup GPS device. Good luck with the Sony, hope you find a nice forum for support. Please drop in once in awhile though. Hope you had a nice Christmas.
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    Hi Daisy,

I was wondering whatever became of your broken Thrive. It is such a shame that we are such a throw away society, but there's simply no way to justify $349 to repair a tablet as old as the Thrive. I still have my Thrive, but have moved back to a Windows laptop as my primary. I also have 7" Samsung 2, but haven't even turned it on yet. We're waiting on a 2nd one that we got with some mattress sets we bought. When it comes, one will go to Jeanette and mine will become primarily a backup GPS device. Good luck with the Sony, hope you find a nice forum for support. Please drop in once in awhile though. Hope you had a nice Christmas.
    Hi Dave - its nice to hear from you. Unfortunately I had to move on from the Thrive. I cried like a baby when she died. Actually considered getting it repaired at the $349 price since I had all the accessories I had bought for it but I just couldn't justify the cost of repair vs getting something new. I sold the tablet for parts on eBay as well as all the accessories and put the money on the new xperia tab. I've only had it a few weeks and so far so good. There's a new update to the 4.2 but I don't want to get rid of the tablet UI. What do you think about the new android versions using phone UI on tablets? Anyway Happy Holidays to both you and Jeanette.
    rosalie likes this.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    My Thrive is still being used by my wife...I have moved on to my 2nd gen N7, which I absolutely love.

It will be a sad day when the Thrive dies...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    rosalie and JiveTurkee like this.
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads