• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tablet storage: Do you really need an expansion slot?

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    Yeah, the cloud's great "IF YOU HAVE INTERNET ACCESS"! You don't normally at 30,000 feet or out at sea or in the woods or at Grandma's out in the sticks...... are we getting the picture yet? We want Tablets because "THEY GO WHERE WE GO" and we want our data to go with us! Sorry, I just had to get all that shouting off my chest! Heck, my internet at home on my hardline cable still goes out in a thunderstorm!!!
    Last edited by rosalie; 07-31-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    ttmoo and Theta9 like this.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    The whole concept of the cloud is awesome. I like being able to access some of my stuff from any device. I also like that if I make any changes to any of the files, I don't have to make those same changes across all devices. It's like a simpler kind of file versioning...which is great for documents and the sort.

Having been on a plane recently, it was super nice and easy to load a bunch of movies onto a SD card. Delta Airlines had wifi on their planes, but you have to pay like $2.99 or more for it. Unless my flight is 8 hours or more, I can't really justify that cost. Not to mention that I can't expect the wifi to be fast enough to use for stuff like movies on the cloud or Netflix or the like.

Having an external SD slot is also really cool if you have a GoPro. I race motorcycles at the track a lot and being able to watch a video of my last session as soon as I come off helps with testing and tuning, as well as riding technique so I can make the most of my next session.
    SteveCampsOut likes this.
    Running an Excite 10 (AT 300)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kadius View Post
    The whole concept of the cloud is awesome. I like being able to access some of my stuff from any device. I also like that if I make any changes to any of the files, I don't have to make those same changes across all devices. It's like a simpler kind of file versioning...which is great for documents and the sort.

Having been on a plane recently, it was super nice and easy to load a bunch of movies onto a SD card. Delta Airlines had wifi on their planes, but you have to pay like $2.99 or more for it. Unless my flight is 8 hours or more, I can't really justify that cost. Not to mention that I can't expect the wifi to be fast enough to use for stuff like movies on the cloud or Netflix or the like.

Having an external SD slot is also really cool if you have a GoPro. I race motorcycles at the track a lot and being able to watch a video of my last session as soon as I come off helps with testing and tuning, as well as riding technique so I can make the most of my next session.
    I agree. The cloud is almost a replacementnt for my USB cables. For the most part, I don't use a USB cable unless I need to use ADB. I don't think the cloud is evil. It's another tool on the toolbox.

It seems backward to me that Google endorses and architects Android so that I can write and clutter the non-removable SD, but only system apps can write to the removable one.

Sent from my AT270 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kadius View Post
    OT, but I just looked over a GoPro this morning. I prefer still photography, but I'm thinking of getting one anyway. They are so small, but I'm not sure how much we'd use it. The model with wifi and remote was $390 at the Luke Exchange. Is that a good price?

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I love the full size SD slot on my Thrive, the USB I can take or leave. I carry a 32GB each for movies and comedy sets, and a 64GB for TV shows.

I am preparing for my next tablet that probably won't have a SD slot so when I buy that tablet I will also buy a wifi HDD.

HDMI is a must though.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    As I have said before, I don't like the cloud. I'm fully aware that I'm playing into Google's hands by owning a Nexus 7, but I still hate the cloud (the wife has the Thrive). If the N7 had a SD slot, I would really love the tablet.

I just think it is a matter of time before all of the cloud providers start charging you to hold your own stuff. Yeah, it is free now, but that is just the hook. Eventually, someone is going to need a new revenue stream and they are going to look at you and say, it cost .99 cents to hold x amount of songs, movies, pictures. It will only go up from there. It is all good now, but it is coming. They are just throwing out the bait right now.

Or if the cloud goes down and they lose all of your stuff--and they wont replace it. I dont trust them. I can hold my own stuff.

Can you imagine how ticked off you are going to be when they lock you out of your OWN stuff because you missed a payment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Have you tried a USB OTG cable with your Nexus 7? I use one along with a super-tiny flash drive. You need to be rooted (which now no longer requires unlocking the bootloader and wiping the device), or there's a $3.99 app on the Play Store for read-only access.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    As I have said before, I don't like the cloud. I'm fully aware that I'm playing into Google's hands by owning a Nexus 7, but I still hate the cloud (the wife has the Thrive). If the N7 had a SD slot, I would really love the tablet.

I just think it is a matter of time before all of the cloud providers start charging you to hold your own stuff. Yeah, it is free now, but that is just the hook. Eventually, someone is going to need a new revenue stream and they are going to look at you and say, it cost .99 cents to hold x amount of songs, movies, pictures. It will only go up from there. It is all good now, but it is coming. They are just throwing out the bait right now.

Or if the cloud goes down and they lose all of your stuff--and they wont replace it. I dont trust them. I can hold my own stuff.

Can you imagine how ticked off you are going to be when they lock you out of your OWN stuff because you missed a payment?
    Well said. Precisely my opinion.
    Additionally - unless those servers use and publish impeccable security policy and enforcement thereof for all their employees and unless they have backup servers I would consider it a volatile storage at best.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    I will never depend solely on the cloud, but I'm learning to take advantage of it. Flickr currently gives 1Tb of free storage for photos. With that I don't need to spend money on local backup capability and I can access my photos from anywhere I can get a connection. I can periodically export my IE bookmarks and also access them from anywhere, the same for my budget spreadsheet, family tree and other files. With our new Droid Razr HDs, 4G Jetpack and free WiFi around the country, that means virtually anytime too. I still don't fully use DropBox, Box, Copy or Flickr, but I'm gradually moving things around. Once I decide on new laptops or Win tablets, I'll make a concerted effort to get both of us organized among the clouds. :sly:

Cheers, Dave
    JiveTurkee likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    As it stands now, for me personally, the only "Cloud" services I use regularly are Google contacts and Google calendar and they don't always sync properly or fast enough for me. Today I edited a phone number online via Firefox (Which has it's own cloud for bookmarks, so I guess that's another that I use regularly) and it wouldn't sync to my phone for some reason. I gave up and edited the number on my phone as well.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads