• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Twitter
    kg7hq

Security Patch App?

Hello Team,

I am wondering if anyone has thought about the security flaw discovered and has applied a patch for it for our ROMs we enjoy. This article is sparking my question.
    Android bug that affects 99% of devices detailed
    Thank you,

All the Best from the Great Northwest...

Phonefreedom

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Our Thrives are vulnerable, but it requires deliberately installing something with malware. It's the old adage of not installing things from unknown locations. "As long as you’re conscientious about the source and appearance of your applications and updates, you’ll be perfectly safe."

I stick to the Playstore 95% of the time, and the other 5% is Amazon's app store. Before installing an app and seeing what permissions it wants, I always check reviews to see if someone else noticed. Every so often Amazon offers a "free app of the day" that I don't bother downloading or installing, specifically because some little game wants a whole lot of questionable permissions. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it keeps me from getting compromised.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Twitter
    kg7hq
    Hello Panda,

I agree with your approach but still feel that patching the potential would be a more appropreate approach. As an example, my wife does auto-updates. This places her a slightly high risk as she doesn't know what to watch for. I imagine that there are others other fall into this category too.
    I know that Google is actively scanning for potential threats within play. But I also realize that the best scanners can't keep up with those with ill intent.
    Thank you,

Phonefreedom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phonefreedom View Post
    Hello Panda,

I agree with your approach but still feel that patching the potential would be a more appropreate approach. As an example, my wife does auto-updates. This places her a slightly high risk as she doesn't know what to watch for. I imagine that there are others other fall into this category too.
    I know that Google is actively scanning for potential threats within play. But I also realize that the best scanners can't keep up with those with ill intent.
    Well, I can almost guarantee Thrive owners won't get an update from Toshiba and I don't foresee anyone working on a patched ROM for ICS. Pio might do something for his JB ROMs, but it will be difficult without a working Thrive. I'll continue to do like Panda and limit my sources. I don't know how this impacts scanners like Avast.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Patching and anti-malware software would be better protection, but as you said, Dave, who knows what Thrive owners will happen. The best protection is to stay away from untrustworthy sources. Trying to keep my example within the confines of a family forum, many people found out in the early 1980s that it was dangerous to hook up with just anyone.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    The patch from CM is only active in the 4.2 branch I would assume, so the thrive will likely remain fully vulnerable for the rest of its days, or until someone comes along and fixes the remaining issues in 4.2 that I can't seem to figure out for the life of me. Like why wifi works in older builds but not newer builds with the exact same kernel and trees lol

As toshiba never considered even letting us build anything for the THrive, patching ICS is next to impossible, and would require instead to build CM9, which also wouldn't include this patch. Since CM is open sourced, though, it may be possible to implement it into the 4.1 and if it was ever done, 4.0 builds also.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Twitter
    kg7hq
    Hello Team,

I found an answer to this security flaw in a form of an applicationavailable on Google Play....
    https://securityledger.com/2013/07/s...oid-patch-app/

Thanks for the earlier thoughts. :-)
    Thank you,

Phonefreedom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Ran the app on my N7 (running Buttered Grouper ROM) and it shows clean, and that the patch has been applied.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Remove Ads

Ads