• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Battery Calibration Issues

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Battery Calibration Issues

Hi
    My battery runs down to 6% in about 5-6 hours and remains at 6% for maybe another hour or so of continuous use before eventually powering down. Is this normal?

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    It could very well be. Battery life varies from user to user, depending on many variables, such as the what you're doing on your tablet, the apps you're running, what background processes are constantly running, whether you have set to keep wifi on during sleep, whether you have your system overclocked or not, and so on. 7ish hours isn't unusual. get between 6 and 8 with the way I use my Thrive.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    How old is your battery? Like Rosalie said, heavy use can drain the battery quickly. Do you have a spare battery? If you do not, check this link for a $19.99 battery! Amazon.com : Toshiba 6-Cell Replacement Li-Ion Battery Pack for 10" Thrive Tablet (PA3884U-1BRR) : Electronics Hard to beat this price.
    NOTE: My comments are my own and not those of anyone who knows anything about the Thrive, unless otherwise noted. They are just suggestions, nothing more, and probably will not work in every (or any) situation. If you think I've offended you, please PM me, so we can clear the air in private. I have no affiliation with any company or private individual who knows anything about anything to do with the Thrive. Please exercise due dilegence when attempting any suggestion I may have offered.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the replies. The problem isn't the battery life but with the battery stats. Once the battery reaches 6% it still has enough charge for more than an hour (of normal usage) before I'm forced to recharge. As you can see in the image. I've tried the Battery Calibration app which fixed another issue. It's not really a problem but I'd like to have a more accurate battery meter.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I miss understood your issue. I use BATTERY GUAGE WIDGET from the play store. I use it on both my Thrive and my HTC ONE X+. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...XR0d2lkZ2V0Il0.

This is FREE. After you install, open the WIDGET to select the guage you want on your screen.
    NOTE: My comments are my own and not those of anyone who knows anything about the Thrive, unless otherwise noted. They are just suggestions, nothing more, and probably will not work in every (or any) situation. If you think I've offended you, please PM me, so we can clear the air in private. I have no affiliation with any company or private individual who knows anything about anything to do with the Thrive. Please exercise due dilegence when attempting any suggestion I may have offered.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood as well.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    A whole lot of MISUNDERSTOODIN going on here!
    AmEv and rosalie like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    It might be something with the battery's own internal circuitry. Have you tried another battery?

You could try running it down to where your Thrive turns itself off, pull out the little CMOS battery for a while, then do a full charge to 100%. You don't want to discharge a lithium ion battery completely, but most devices will protect the battery by turning off when there's still a little left.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Positron View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The problem isn't the battery life but with the battery stats. Once the battery reaches 6% it still has enough charge for more than an hour (of normal usage) before I'm forced to recharge. As you can see in the image. I've tried the Battery Calibration app which fixed another issue. It's not really a problem but I'd like to have a more accurate battery meter.
    I understood the problem , but that's why I don't use any battery apps. Every once in awhile I'll look at settings/battery just to see if the discharge rate is stable, but that's it. In this case, it seems like the first thing to do is verify that the app is accurate by trying another app or just comparing it to settings/battery stats. FWIW, I don't know how a battery app can be accurate in the first place. How do they know exactly how much battery time there is to begin with? Or what you might run that will eat up the battery?

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Part of the battery's circuitry monitors voltage, which is generally reliable in the percentage left, and then software can use that to estimate how much time is left, based on the current rate of discharge. It's similar to the fluctuation in download time remaining, depending on whether the connection is getting faster or slower.

Our Thrive has been very good with discharging, though confusing with charging because that last 1% takes so long. My Nexus 7 has been impeccably reliable.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads