• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CyroProxy

Thread: Toshiba Thrive hardware failure causes bootloop! But it may not be an expensive fix.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question Toshiba Thrive hardware failure causes bootloop! But it may not be an expensive fix.

I bought a Toshiba Thrive AT105 32GB WiFi when they were first released. I've had 20 months of owning the device and using it daily a minimum of 2 hours on average. My latest use was as a spedometer using Ulysees spedometer pro in my truck since the guage cluster died. But how is this realavant? Every morning I would switch my device into Airplane mode to save battery life on the way to work. I would turn Airplane mode back off in the evenings to check email at home. So the WiFi card was initialized 2-8 times in a day for about 4 months. One day upon entering the desktop after the lock screen, I pressed my Airplane Toggle button widget. The device hung for 2 seconds, vibrated and then rebooted. 5 minutes... 30 minutes... still an endless boot loop. I tried taking out both batteries and restarting and still nothing. So with my technical background, I dug deeper into the tablet and removed the WiFi card. Then switched around the wires for the iNAND chip (basically reseated them). I put it back together and turned on the power and it went right to the lock screen. Most people on forums would say that it's a bad MB or memory chip. I put everything back like it was including the WiFi card and tried it again. Nothing, just bootloop. So I took out the WiFi card permanently and closed everything back up.

I backed up all the data using ADB Just in case something goes horribly wrong the next time I take it apart. The chip is a Azure Wave AW-NH931 combo half mini card (My SN was: 0C08-003C000A13009470). I think there is only a small handful of compatible cards because of driver issues.
    So for about $6 you can replace the card if you have the technical skills to take the device apart. The card I bought was on eBay Here. Hopefully this helps to those that think they need a new MB when the device goes into boot loop. If you don't think you can fix this yourself then buy the chip and have a computer repair store put it in for you. You may need small hands to get one of the connectors back in place. Take your time so you don't screw up either.
    pio_masaki and GrumpyOldGeek like this.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    The emmc is available in a separate board, the main board will never need replaced for a bootloop issue, even if its a bad emmc causing it.

Fantastic information though, thanks for posting it!
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Remove Ads

Ads