• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tamxir
  • 3 Post By tamxir

Thread: MTP Drivers problem - Windows Vista - SOLVED

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times

Smile MTP Drivers problem - Windows Vista - SOLVED

I'm posting this solution to a problem I have had for over 12 months with connecting my Thrive Tablet via USB to my Windows Vista PC. The PC would report 'Driver not found' and the search for drivers online would go nowhere. Those in the forum familiar with my posts will be aware that I'm visually impaired and the recommended fix for the above problem has been 'Install Windows 7'. Sorry, for me that undertaking is a big ask for me, so I persevered looking for another answer - until today!

I will post the solution on the off chance it may help someone else.

This site has a procedure for another USB Device, and I simply substituted 'wpdmtp.inf' for the one they used.

So the modified instructions I used where (if you have the same problem I had:

Look for 'wpdmtp.inf' and 'wpdmtp.PNF' in your C:\Windows\inf folder.
    If missing, go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
    Locate Folders with 'wpdmtp' in the first part of the name
    Open the most recent wpdmtp Folder
    Select the 'wpdmtp.pnf' and 'wpdmtp.inf' files and right-click menu Copy
    Open C:\Windows\Inf and paste the files

Now, you will need to install the drivers

Connect your Tablet to PC via USB cable

If you get a pop-up asking to install drivers, select Browse, and enter C:\Windows\Inf as the path OR If that doesn't happen:

Open Device manager under 'Other Devices'
    Mine was AT100 - Right-click menu 'Update Driver Software'
    Select Browse and enter path C:\Windows\Inf

This should do the trick. I was SO excited having found a solution for this problem, I just HAD to share it Now I can avail myself of the kind offers of forum members to help me root my device. WooHoo!

Regards
    tamxir

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    108 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    What happens if you have multiple wpdmtp.inf folders?
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
    What happens if you have multiple wpdmtp.inf folders?
    Hi SteveCampsOut

I probably didn't explain that part cleary enough. I will give more detail.

My Thrive Tablet is on Ice Cream Sandwich Version 4.04 and the USB connect to the PC failed due to a problem with the MTP drivers in PC Windows Vista. MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) was introduced in Android 4.x ICS as an updated method to connect to a PC via USB. Windows 7 has these drivers buikt-in, but Windows Vista technically also has them, but they are associated with Windows Media Player. Unfortunately, one possible fix I explored, which would technically fix the problem, was a re-install of WMP 11, but that is virtually impossible if your Vista is up to date. I spent ages researching this before giving up on this approach.

Now to your question.

You'll probably find several folders in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\' named something like these:

wpdmtp.inf_3eba85bf
    wpdmtp.inf_20006c56

Choose the one on your system with the most recent 'Date Modified'.

My PC couldn't recognise the Tablet connected by USB cable because, sometime in the past, the relevant .INF and .pnf files presumably got deleted somehow. With Windows, it's best to expect odd occurences as par for the course. I despise Windows Medai Player, so, my crippling of it as my preferred media player probably broke the MTP.

I tried all the fancy Microsoft 'Fixit' apps and they were plain useless to solve this, and the only way I could get the answer I wanted was a very specifically worded Google search. It took me MONTHS to sort this out finally. Yes, I'm pretty happy about it

Regards
    tamxir

Ads