• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dirty, dirty Thrive

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Dirty, dirty Thrive

So I have an interesting problem... and as a first-time owner of a tablet, I'm wondering if this is a Thrive issue or a tablet issue... and what can I do about it?

I have specs of dust/dirt/debris between the outer plastic and the inner display on my tablet. It's not a lot, but it's enough to be distracting and annoying. I called Toshiba and they thoughtfully recommended that I "don't try to clean under the screen". They did offer a warranty repair as an option, but I don't want to ship this off for repair just yet.

I can sort of see how it got under there as the bevel around the side seems a little loose in certain areas. Any suggestions on how I get that stuff out of there without causing more headaches?

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    This is common on alot of touchscreen devices. Phones and tablets. Seems there are places like the speakers, access slots, charging ports and bezels where tiny particles of dust can get in. In some case they actually do come from the factory that way as well. If you can live with it that is a good thing. If it gets worse to the point of annoyance you might want to consider warranty service.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Agreed that this is a common problem. I'd initially try a Q-Tip, perhaps with a very light cleaner, to try and clean it...but obviously you're not going to get underneath the screen with that. Pretty soon here, I'll be tearing down my Thrive & rebuilding it...so we should have a pretty solid tutorial coming on how to do that. This will allow you to get virtually anywhere inside the device. Of course, cracking the device open could invalidate your warranty...so that's something to think about. If the bevel is really that bad & letting stuff in too easily, it might be worth sending in for repair since they'll probably clean it for you and fix the gap. Of course, they could just as well file your case under "negligence" and charge you for it, too.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    The easiest / best option may be to get the free warranty replacement (before they stop offering) and then get a screen cover / protector to cover the entire face of the Thrive (before use) immediately following removal of the "THRiVE" plastic cover.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Mine is generating dust, but it does not appear to be coming in through the edges of the glass. It is either from something sandwiched during the fabrication and is growing, or is coming in via the area around the power/earphone jacks and or speaker. The following is from a post I just made in the official Toshiba THRiVE support forum.

It's been about 2 weeks since I first noticed the "dust" under the screen. It appears to be getting worse and spreading. There appears to be 2 layers affected. It doesn't appear that the dust in under the first layer of glass, as they don't show up on the black bezel area, only in the visiable display area.

There also appears to smaller (a granular patch) of lighter "dust" below the layer of the large spots. I almost think there may be something that was actually in between the layers during fabrication.

Since it is getting worse, I did call support. It was a slow process to explain the problem. After some time on hold, the tech person came back and said since it wasn't affecting the "fuctionality" of the THRiVE, I should just continue using it until it became a functional problem. This certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear, especially since the problem appears to be escalating and it is a distraction (especially on light colored screen displays) to keep seeing more and more dust spots. Thankfully, after explaining this, the tech support person agreed to issue a a repair request.

While I don't look forward to being without my precious THRiVE while it goes off to the Repair Depot, it is good to know that Toshiba is standing behind their product.

Image1.jpg

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Most of mine is mini dandruff or biscuit crumbs haha i can usually get it out with a decent blow, but if you have one of those mini handheld vacuum cleaners might come in handy.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    At first I thought it was dust getting in through the power/headphone jacks. But what is odd is that the specks don't migrate. Instead of more accumulating near the ports, they appear to be generating on their own further away from the jacks. Which is why I am leaning towards some contamination between the layers during fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardroid View Post
    Most of mine is mini dandruff or biscuit crumbs haha i can usually get it out with a decent blow, but if you have one of those mini handheld vacuum cleaners might come in handy.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Oh umm well i was talking the gap of the outer-most rim which is where the LED's sit. Sorry I just re read your post. I would have no idea how to get rid of that but I guess wiping the screen may cause your issue (debris find their way under as you sweep over them).

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Here is the most recent snapshot taken with the screen off and a flashlight for illumination. Unfortunately, I don't have a tripod, so the "chevron" shapes are due to the camera movement. They are really just dots/specks. The brighter ones appear to be just under the glass (though they did not come from the edge of the glass and the case). The fainter ones appear to be a layer or 2 further down.

100_0014.JPG

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

Unhappy Going Cold Turkey

This is going to be harder than waiting for the THRiVE to get released and for my order to arrive. Just dropped my unit off at FedEx on its way to the Repair Station. Nothing major, but it was beginning to accumulate some form of contamination between the various screen layers. Since it was getting worse over the weeks, figured I should bite the bullet and have it replaced or fixed.

It hasn't even been a full hour and I feel as if I'm missing an appendage. It itches, but I just can't scratch it....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads