• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times

Why do Wi-Fi tablet buyers/owners not have root privileges? Why no config?

I understand why a phone company might require being the device administrator of a phone.

I understand that Apple knows how to do everything better than you.

I don't understand how my Wi-Fi tablet is any different from a PC that I own that is running Linux or Windows where I can do anything that I'm smart (or stupid) enough to try.

Assuming that there's a reasonable reason that I don't have root out of the box (big assumption), my 2nd question is,"If most performance and ui items were configurable, could the desire to root a tablet be drastically reduced?" For example, if I could install a polytonic greek font and choose the governor for my CPU, I probably wouldn't care if I could write to a system directory.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Re: Why do Wi-Fi tablet buyers/owners not have root privileges? Why no config?

Quote Originally Posted by TabletFreak View Post
    I understand why a phone company might require being the device administrator of a phone.

I understand that Apple knows how to do everything better than you.

I don't understand how my Wi-Fi tablet is any different from a PC that I own that is running Linux or Windows where I can do anything that I'm smart (or stupid) enough to try.

Assuming that there's a reasonable reason that I don't have root out of the box (big assumption), my 2nd question is,"If most performance and ui items were configurable, could the desire to root a tablet be drastically reduced?" For example, if I could install a polytonic greek font and choose the governor for my CPU, I probably wouldn't care if I could write to a system directory.
    Generally its to protect the user from themselves, cutting down on time spent for customer service and repair as well as security. Its also "suggested" to be non rooted and locked, and would be even better if it were unrootable and unlockable, and of course keeping Google happy is a good idea for android tablet makers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Remove Ads

Ads