• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cisco VPN support on Thrive

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cisco VPN support on Thrive

Does anyone know if there will be native support for Cisco VPN? Currently only android tablet with that support is Galaxy, others have to root the device and install the tun.ko module. Called Toshiba support, they did not have clue to what VPN is, kept telling me to connect using wifi - LOL, this was also from supposedly a level 2 technician.

I am tempted to root the thrive, does anyone know if tun.ko module exists for latest kernel?

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    bump

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I wish cisco would just write an app and we could be done with it. i dont feel like rooting and screwing with my tablet just so i can access my work network.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I don't have any inside information, but I work for another division of Toshiba which has an extensive field service force. We currently use laptops and a vpn interface to HQ. Considering we are using both Laptops and Blackberry's to do, essentially some of the same things and the Blackberry has some limitations, my guess is that our division will eventually consider the tablet for our use. VPN will be a requirement, but don't ask me when, if or even it will be CISCO.

edit: I am still waiting for my personal 16GB unit to arrive. Once it does and I get more familiar with it, I plan on asking our IT dept if they might have any plans and if so, could I beta test.

Just checked. We use Cisco, so if a vpn is selected it will most likely be Cisco.
    Last edited by Cruzincat; 08-02-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    candyland likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by indyhill View Post
    I wish cisco would just write an app and we could be done with it. i dont feel like rooting and screwing with my tablet just so i can access my work network.
    Cisco would need collaboration with Google and/or Toshiba to get this kind of VPN support.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    I'm a Cisco engineer and to my knowledge, Cisco hasn't released a VPN client for this tablet yet. They do make one for rooted devices, but I have yet to try it.

Also, just FYI, what I'm seeing in the mobile space is the use of what's called "AnyConnect" which is an SSL based VPN. This typically requires a special setup on the router, firewall or concentrator and is different from the traditional client setup. It's also a licensed feature and you're supposed to pay for both the router/firewall licenses as well as the mobile client. Although the point is moot at the moment, since there's not a client available unless you root, if you don't have this feature enabled on the router or firewall...it's not going to work anyway.

On a side note, I've been messing around with traditional IPSec and PPTP tunnels on my home router and have been having trouble getting Android devices to interoperate. I think it's my config on the router, not my phone or tablet. If it's critical to your organization, I could put some focus on getting this to work and can provide base configs for a standard IPSec tunnel.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Blame Toshiba, not Cisco

Quote Originally Posted by indyhill View Post
    Cisco does have an app, look for Anyconnect in the market. They also have a non-root version that supports Samsung (apparently their devices don't require root, or that facility is included). So it's not up to Cisco any more, it's up to Toshiba now.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well that's nice that Anyconnect is sort of supported, but we don't use Anyconnect. We have IPSEC VPN's with group names and a preshared key. I may just talk to our boss man and see if we can setup a configuration on the firewall without a group that should work with Android devices. Might not be too hard since he has an HTC Sensation

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it would be awesome if i could connect to my works cisco. still prefer no access andy thrive to having access but only for the galaxy tab.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Indyhill - the Cisco client in the market wouldn't work for you, even IF they had a client for the Thrive.

What I can tell you is that the typical setup for IPSec using the older Cisco VPN client doesn't seem to work with Android. I couldn't even get phase 1 to establish on either a router or an ASA, so there's so basic level stuff that they aren't agreeing on. I know that Android doesn't have a full VPN stack, so one must be careful with the encryption that is used for the client profile. Eventually, either I'll figure this out personally or a client will engage us to do it for them...and after that, it should be easy. If you need me to develop a working config, let me know...otherwise, I trust your business partner will be able to do this for you.

Ads