• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Twitter
    anthony_tiernan

Reasons To Encrypt?

What are some reasons to encrypt the Thrive? I was thinking about doing it, but I'd like to know why I should first.

Sent from my AT100
    Last edited by SteroidalFish2; 07-31-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    HTC One (M8) - Stock 4.4.2 ROOTED

Previous Phones:
    OG Droid/Droid X2/Galaxy Nexus/iPhone 5/iPhone 5s/Galaxy S4
    Previous Tablets:
    Toshiba Thrive/Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9/Nexus 7 (2012)

My Themes: No longer being built. :c

New to the forums? Please read the Guidelines of Conduct.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Twitter
    anthony_tiernan
    Hate to bump threads, but I'd kinda like to know why people encrypt, and what it does.

Previous Phones:
    Previous Tablets:

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I encrypted because it is my understanding that android before Honeycomb stored passwords in text and theoretically a rogue app could access the information. Of course, if your tablet is just sleeping, I don't know if it makes a difference.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums

Taken from: The Main Benefit of Data Encryption - Learn Why Data Encryption is Important for Your Laptop

The main benefit of data encryption is that even if you were to lose your computer, get malicious malware or are hacked, the data inside your computer is still safe. Encryption of data gives you one last saving grace, the data may no longer be in your hands, but no one else can see it or use it.
    Now, you may be asking, what are the chances that you'll lose your data? It can't be that simple can it?

Smartphone Encryption
    One last subject to touch on is the encryption of data in smartphones. In today's busy world, many people keep sensitive, important information in their smartphones. Do you have a corporate smartphone, or a personal smartphone? Do you have your company e-mail sent and stored in your smartphone? Do you use the store password option in your browser on your smartphone?
    Smartphones such as the Apple iPhone, HTC HD2, Motorola Droid, and others are widely used like computers. The lines between smartphones and computers are blurring, and the amount of unprotected data is smartphones is always rising. Data encryption is just as important on smartphones in case you lose your phone or have it stolen. There is software available that you can download onto your smartphone that will encrypt your data.

Encryption of data on a smartphone works the same way as encryption of data on a computer. Someone needs the key to decrypt the data and steal it. The worst case scenario is that the person fails at hacking your phone and ends up wiping it clean for their own use. You may have lost a few hundred dollars but at least your identity is safe, your computer information is safe, and any other data is safe.

The Benefit of Data Encryption
    Remember that even with the most effective of preventive controls that your data is still at risk. Encryption adds an extra layer of security to help you feel at ease, even if your laptop is stolen, your smartphone drops out of your pocket, or your anti-malware software eventually detects that malicious software is snooping through your computer. Encrypted data is worthless to a hacker, and you've effectively made them waste their time and effort to achieve very little. The most you lose is your hardware, but the most important aspect, the data is still well protected.
    Encryption of data can be annoying at times and cumbersome for some, but it is the last stand in protecting your data. When all other security measures fail and your data ends up in the wrong hands, encryption is the last piece of security standing guard.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Twitter
    anthony_tiernan
    Quote Originally Posted by batfish View Post

Taken from: The Main Benefit of Data Encryption - Learn Why Data Encryption is Important for Your Laptop

The main benefit of data encryption is that even if you were to lose your computer, get malicious malware or are hacked, the data inside your computer is still safe. Encryption of data gives you one last saving grace, the data may no longer be in your hands, but no one else can see it or use it.
    Now, you may be asking, what are the chances that you'll lose your data? It can't be that simple can it?

Smartphone Encryption
    One last subject to touch on is the encryption of data in smartphones. In today's busy world, many people keep sensitive, important information in their smartphones. Do you have a corporate smartphone, or a personal smartphone? Do you have your company e-mail sent and stored in your smartphone? Do you use the store password option in your browser on your smartphone?
    Smartphones such as the Apple iPhone, HTC HD2, Motorola Droid, and others are widely used like computers. The lines between smartphones and computers are blurring, and the amount of unprotected data is smartphones is always rising. Data encryption is just as important on smartphones in case you lose your phone or have it stolen. There is software available that you can download onto your smartphone that will encrypt your data.

Encryption of data on a smartphone works the same way as encryption of data on a computer. Someone needs the key to decrypt the data and steal it. The worst case scenario is that the person fails at hacking your phone and ends up wiping it clean for their own use. You may have lost a few hundred dollars but at least your identity is safe, your computer information is safe, and any other data is safe.

The Benefit of Data Encryption
    Remember that even with the most effective of preventive controls that your data is still at risk. Encryption adds an extra layer of security to help you feel at ease, even if your laptop is stolen, your smartphone drops out of your pocket, or your anti-malware software eventually detects that malicious software is snooping through your computer. Encrypted data is worthless to a hacker, and you've effectively made them waste their time and effort to achieve very little. The most you lose is your hardware, but the most important aspect, the data is still well protected.
    Encryption of data can be annoying at times and cumbersome for some, but it is the last stand in protecting your data. When all other security measures fail and your data ends up in the wrong hands, encryption is the last piece of security standing guard.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will most certainly be encrypting my Thrive today! No one needs my bank account information but me.

Sent from my AT100

Previous Phones:
    Previous Tablets:

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Twitter
    anthony_tiernan
    I was wondering if there was anyway to change just the encryption password? I use a PIN lock for the lock screen, but I want the encryption password to be stronger. Anyway to do that?

Previous Phones:
    Previous Tablets:

Ads