• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Black Screen of Death

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.

Black Screen of Death

I think I may be onto something with the BSOD. I have rarely every gotten it myself, but recently I've gotten it more than normal. From anecdotal evidence, I'm suspecting that it might have something to do with live wallpaper, or at least, it might cause it more frequently. Typically, I shy away from live wallpapers, and widgets, but occasionally I'll stumble across one that looks cool, and try it for a few days. What I'm noticing is when I am using a live wallpaper, that is when I usually will get the BSOD. Has anyone else noticed a similar trend? I doubt that it is soley because of live wallpapers, but maybe something that is more frequently trriggered when using live wallpapers.
    rosalie likes this.
    Check out my custom ROM: Favum ICS Version 2.0
    If you're feeling generous, I'm taking
    donations.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xm41907 View Post
    I think I may be onto something with the BSOD. I have rarely every gotten it myself, but recently I've gotten it more than normal. From anecdotal evidence, I'm suspecting that it might have something to do with live wallpaper, or at least, it might cause it more frequently. Typically, I shy away from live wallpapers, and widgets, but occasionally I'll stumble across one that looks cool, and try it for a few days. What I'm noticing is when I am using a live wallpaper, that is when I usually will get the BSOD. Has anyone else noticed a similar trend? I doubt that it is soley because of live wallpapers, but maybe something that is more frequently trriggered when using live wallpapers.
    Me Too! I ran in the SOD issue during the summer while vacationing at the Jersey Shore. I had never had this issue before but after pulling the battery out all was well. I recently bought an extra battery and decided to give the old one a rest, charged it up and this morning ran into the SOD. What the heck is making my TT misbehave?? Other than this issue everything else is running great!
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1290 times

Re: Black Screen of Death

Quote Originally Posted by daisy192 View Post
    Me Too! I ran in the SOD issue during the summer while vacationing at the Jersey Shore. I had never had this issue before but after pulling the battery out all was well. I recently bought an extra battery and decided to give the old one a rest, charged it up and this morning ran into the SOD. What the heck is making my TT misbehave?? Other than this issue everything else is running great!
    That's a good question. I ran quite well for a long time, but now I experience SOD every once in awhile even though my Thrive stays connected with wifi on when asleep. It's not often enough to bother me, so I just ignore it. One of these days I'm going to reload, just haven't taken the time.

Cheers, Dave
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1889 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Mine had it once, but I've noticed it seems to but sometimes just give it a few seconds then hit power again wakes it up. Only had this on favum though,may or may not help but give that a try next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Mine had it once, but I've noticed it seems to but sometimes just give it a few seconds then hit power again wakes it up. Only had this on favum though,may or may not help but give that a try next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I'll give that a try next time. I've probably had it a total of 10 times between both Thrives over the past year, about 4 in the last 2 months, so it's not been too often.
    donations.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    I had been having the problem, and eventually did a full reset/reflash, and have been very slowly adding apps back in, and rebuilding any data from scratch, and having no problems. The other day, I installed Google Voice, and almost immediately started having the issue again...3 times in one day. Uninstalled the app, after deleting it's cache and data & then wiped cache and dalvik in recovery. So far it hasn't happened again.
    xm41907 likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times

Just goes to show why this is the big mystery. I've had Google Voice installed since flashing dalepl's ICS ROM and do not experience any SoD's since flashing.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    Just goes to show why this is the big mystery. I've had Google Voice installed since flashing dalepl's ICS ROM and do not experience any SoD's since flashing.
    I know what you mean. I remember a while back, a member said they had identified the app 'Volume in Notification' as a cause (or contributory factor) in their BSOD issue, and after uninstalling it the problem resolved. I use ViN and it's never caused me a problem.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    I thought mine was solved but isn't. I am using CM10 unified and still have a BSOD when the unit sleeps for a long time w/out being plugged in. I don't really worry about it as a quick reboot gets me back up and runnings. The CM10 rom boots so fast it isn't a bother.
    Happy Thrive user running CM10 Jellybean.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post
    I thought mine was solved but isn't. I am using CM10 unified and still have a BSOD when the unit sleeps for a long time w/out being plugged in. I don't really worry about it as a quick reboot gets me back up and runnings. The CM10 rom boots so fast it isn't a bother.
    Thankfully, a quick reboot is all that's needed. It's only an occasional annoyance for more people, but it would be cool to narrow it down to a cause.
    donations.

Ads