• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A Bad Day For Another Thrive

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times

A Bad Day For Another Thrive

Today sucked. Got home from out of town, after a brutal week of work, and I'm exhausted. I was bringing stuff in from my rig and went back for my Thrive. As I was walking up the stairs to my house, I tripped and fell off the stair case. In a split second, I opted to drop the Thrive over having it fall grass over tea kettle with me off the staircase and into the unknown. Unfortunately, this decision caused my nearly brand new Thrive to go skidding across the concrete, glass first. The incident scratched up several parts of the screen pretty fierce and there appears to be several small glass fractures towards the bottom and left hand side of the screen. (Why, oh, why couldn't it have landed on the replaceable back!!!!)

I guess the fortunate thing here is that I'm banged up worse than my Thrive...since I heal, and tablets don't. (Nevermind that I hurt like heck & have at least 3 moderate skin injuries!) I'm really hating life right now, though...the thing isn't even a month old. Believe it or not, it still works and the touch functions are 100% fine in the damaged areas, but it's a rather unsightly bit of damage. I looked into repair...and it's going probably going to cost $390 (or possibly less) to fix the thing. Ouch! I'm seriously debating whether it's even worth it at this point...or whether I should just get another, or just deal with it as it is. If I did replace it, though, I'd have to get a 16GB over my current 32GB. I'm going to weigh my options and probably also see what people here have to say in order to decide.

So, in case anyone was wondering, the Thrive will not survive this type of accident well...although, I must say that I'm impressed that it still works 100% after this type of damage.

This is why I shouldn't have nice things. And when you do, and you screw it up, here's where you go:

https://www.toshibarepairservices.com

thrivedamage.jpg

P.S. This pic makes my arm damage look wimpy compared to the Thrive..it's much worse in person. LOL. My leg is for the worse. But yeah, that's my sad Thrive.

Edit:

Since I'm referencing this in my signature, I thought I'd summarize some of the things that were learned from this experience and thread:

1. No matter if you're clumsy or not, the vulnerabilities of tablets make a full-coverage warranty worth it. I'm not what I would describe as a "clumsy" person, but bottom line, stuff happens. The cost to fix a device, especially with excessive LCD damage, could cost as much as a new Thrive.
    2. Tablets need a good case and when you're traveling with it, it should always be in the case.
    3. I decided to repair this myself. I'm still awaiting parts, but just FYI, the cost to fix without any LCD damage is $84.00. A Toshiba repair would cost in the neighborhood of $300-$400 or more.
    4. I've seen reports of three people outright dropping their Thrive and in every case, the screen has cracked. This happened to us, don't let it happen to you...and if it does, and you've heeded my advice, you should have a new Thrive.
    Last edited by revco; 08-06-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: 8/6 Update: Added "lessons learned"

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Ladies, Gentlemen, Undecided ... let us bow our heads for a moment of silence for our fallen (no pun intended) comrade.
    revco and finn218 like this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    Sorry to hear about your injuries and the damage your Thrive has suffered. Ouch, $390 to fix sounds a bit steep. If it were me and If the screen was till responsive I would probably be tempted to continue using it maybe add a screen protector on top of it, But I think the damage would still bother me and I would end up getting a new one probably a 16GB like you said.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    There's two repair options - minor for $256 or major for $390. I've thought about it, and I think I'm going to chance repair and hope to GOD that it falls under the $256 minor repair. Since the unit is fully functional, repair seems like the better choice...and, I want to use it in front of clients, so the damage is really too much there. I really can't see a not-quite-indestructible piece of glass constituting a "major" repair...but I'll be at their mercy and if costs $390, I guess I'll pucker up.

So, for at least the time being, I will be the only one on these forums with a $850+ bathed in blood Thrive.
    Last edited by revco; 07-30-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    aredubjay likes this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    928 times
    Twitter
    ThriveForums
    I ran a search and found a link for the touch screen they run about $62.00 National Parts Depot - \ \ \ H000032650 So it seems it should fall under the minor repair with it being just the glass. Hopefully they go with the minor repair price, let us know how it goes

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Oh man, I feel for you! Sorry to hear.

You know, if you are handy with a screwdriver, the Thrive comes apart with screws and not those hidden snap pins (from TechRepublic tear down: Cracking Open the Toshiba Thrive | TechRepublic). Anyway, if you can get it open OK, then what about picking up an 8GB model, and just swapping out the memory module for the one in your 32GB? It's just a little circuit board inside that hangs on a small cable. Should be easy to get to it. The Sandisk iNAND modules from 8 to 64GB should be be OK to swap.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Revco,

Sorry to hear about this bud.. First thing I try to do when things like this happen, is remind myself that it could have been worse. You could have broken a bone or knocked your nogen on something.. Glad you came out of it pretty much unscathed..Like I said sounds like minimal damage. Sounds like your Thrive saved you if nothing else by taking some of the force of the fall..

And now to the pain the Thrive has suffered.. I'll say a prayer and hope it gets better at the least that the cost to you and your pocket book is minimal..

What is it around here seem's to be our best posters and those that help out the most around here, are suffering with there devices the most. First Rat getting his stolen and now you almost breaking your neck..

Well wishing you the best my friend.. Let us know how it goes..

Yours through the screen

MarkWF1
    revco likes this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Franken-Thrive! I like it! I'm handy with electronic repair and am confident I could probably pull it off, but my dilemma would be that this would void my warranty, most definitely. I'd like to think if it breaks for legitimate reasons (ahem), that I'd be covered. My warranty goes until June 29th, 2012...that's an awful lot to give up at this point, at least for me. In fact, the only reason I'm considering official repair is because it's brand new. If it were out of warranty, I'd definitely give this a shot. But, it's an awesome idea!

Thanks for the tip batfish. Here's to hoping! I'll definitely be letting the folks here know what goes down, since I'm probably the first to send their unit in for repair.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by revco View Post
    So, for at least the time being, I will be the only one on these forums with a $850+ bathed in blood Thrive.
    you should get one of the silver back plates and do some artwork to it... paint on some dark red blood either dripping from the corner where the screen is cracked or just flowing down one side to the other

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That's awful what about homeowners insurance? Not sure if you got extended warranty but staples told me they even covered it being dropped in water so maybe check to see if your covered for drops.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads