• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By DuggleBogey
  • 1 Post By JiveTurkee
  • 2 Post By dgnyberg
  • 4 Post By SteveCampsOut

Thread: Help a lazy noob on ICS root or not to root

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help a lazy noob on ICS root or not to root

I am debating what to do with my 10" thrive. Currently totally stock, pre-ICS. So I am ready to go to ICS and I start reading about rooting.

Honestly, what do you get by rooting? I understand the argument of "it's my device, I should be able to do what I want". But I am lazy, and don't really care about tweaking unless it is going to make a significant performance boost. I am generally just browsing the web, maybe some games.

Second question. So if I decide to root, how exactly do I do this? dalepl pointed me to a few things, which didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I assume I want this rom:
    [ROM] DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Do I just follow the directions on the first post? I just noticed there is a video there (which I didn't see two days ago when I was last on the forum, I will watch it tonight when I am at a computer with sound).

I thought someone said something about rooting before I do this, but maybe I just don't get it?

- brian

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    The biggest positive to rooting of your tablet is the ability to back up your settings and files more easily. You can make a carbon copy of the current system and save it to an SD card for later use. So if you do tweak or get a bad app, or something goes wrong, you have a backup plan.
    Toshiba Thrive 10" - CynagenMod 10 "Convoluted Crocodile U3"
    Motorola Atrix 2 (ICS) - Stock
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Retired
    Ubuntu 12.04 32bit
    Kumbuntu 11.11 32bit
    Windows 8 RC 32bit

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    If you are perfectly happy only using the OS Toshiba releases, don't care about tweaking or anything of that sort, and do not care about backing up your device, then rooting is not for you. Basic advantages are the ability to tweak the interface and OS in all kinds of ways, remove software installed by Toshiba that you don't want, backup your settings and apps or even the full device, and ability to install custom ROMs. Personally, I have 6 Android devices in my home and only 2 are rooted (my Thrive because I want to, and my wife's phone because that was the only way to overcome a problem with her device). I may root my phone again at some point, but I may not.

I would suggest not moving to ICS until you know for sure you do not want to ever root. It is easy to root now and then go back to stock and unroot later. It is currently impossible to move to ICS unrooted and then root.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I would say if there's even a question in your mind you should root it. You can root it and keep it exactly stock, if you like.

You just never know what you're going to want in the future. This device will get old someday and you may find a different use for it. You may regret having taken away that possiblity. I doubt you will ever regret rooting your device. It's not difficult at all. You'll be proud of yourself when you do it.

The idea of never being able to root it if you take the Toshiba Update just bothers me.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    I am lazy too but this is so easy to root it's not even funny

Sent from my ICS Thrive
    lastcatspike likes this.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I learned about ROOT with my old Hauwei S7 and it is well worth it to ROOT.
    As others have said, you can still leave it "stock" other than root, and install Titanium Backup to save your data.
    But if you ever get that inquisitive bug, without root, you can't feed the bug.
    Dalepl has given me some great information to help me "design" my own update.zip file to personalize my installation.
    I am going to use that info to learn and eventually help others as Dalepl has helped me.
    The Easy-Flash Tool is simple to use and if you follow the instructions, you will feel good about what you were able to do.
    Also, the Nandroid Backup (exact copy of your system) will give you the opportunity to return to the previous state, just like others have said.

Read the forums, Ask Questions and read some more, ask some more questions, and get comfortable with the idea.
    Then. . . . .Take the Plunge!! You won't regret it!
    SteveCampsOut and shipmack like this.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Peace,
    Dave

Toshiba Thrive 10.1"
    Android 4.0.4 Dalepl rooted ROM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Huawei S7-104 BB
    Joe Nilan's FroyoFusion
    CWM 2.5.1.8 by goodoane
    SOC Rooted

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    My main reason for rooting was to gain access to loading my 1TB USB hard drives through the usb via the Thrive NTSF Mount apk I found here. Now I can take my large hard drives with me and still have access via my thrive to all the videos and music on them.
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Brother?

Remove Ads

Ads