• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: PLEASE READ. Especially the noobs.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times

Post PLEASE READ. Especially the noobs.

OK, since the release of ICS, there has been many questions flying around that keep being asked, so I am going to try and clear a couple of items up. I know this is a long write-up, but please take the time to read all of it. You may learn something that can help make things easier on you.
    1. If you install the OTA update to ICS onto your device, it can NOT be rooted. I will not be adding it to my Universal Easy Flash Tool any time soon. The OTA contains a locked bootloader and Toshiba has removed the exploit we were using to gain temp root access to the ROM.

Note: as of January 1, 2013, there is a separate tool that can root ICS, located at the following link. As always, please read the directions carefully before running it!
      [root tool][public beta]ICS 4.0.4 rooting for 10" Thrive

The tool is still in beta. Some users have reported that it doesn't always work, so if you run into issues, please post in the Help forum.

2. If you are rooted, you cannot do the OTA update. The update requires the stock recovery image. If you are rooted, you have ClockWorkMod and NOT the stock recovery image. Also, the update will check the files it needs to update. If any of them have been removed or moved (like from system/app to data/app) then the update will fail.
    3. Please stop telling people not to do the update because you are having issues. Most of the issues I have seen have been due to the user not being familuar with the ROM or the apps. Things are different in ICS then they were in HC, so do not expect them to be the same. The stock apps are not always the best apps to be using. Do some experimenting and find one that suits your needs.
    4. Please stop blaming toshiba for something that does not work. Besides the Toshiba apps, the remaining are apps made by developers (i.e. the games) or are made by Google. Also, it is Google, not Toshiba that made the SDcard the way it is. Now granted, hardware issues are most definetly a problem for Toshiba, but the ROMs we have from Toshiba are a vanila as you can get.
    5. If you are having issues with the update, you may need to do a factory reset to make it operate as it should. Like most operating systems, updates are not always a good thing. Yes, it will retain all your apps, setting and layouts, but guess what, it also retains any underlying issue may have already had with your operating system. A clean wipe and resetting up the device can do a world of good. at a minimum, you need to clear the cache and Delvik Cache (ClockWorkMod only) on the device.
    6. If you are having issues with my pre-rooted ROM (like GPS) then the first thing you should do is reboot your device. MAny of the issues work themselvs out with a couple of reboots. Most that said they could not get a GPS lock said that after a couple of reboots it started working fine.
    7. Doing a factory reset on a rooted device does not put it in an unrooted state. In fact you have just caused yourself a lot of issues. All the apps that were moved to the data/app directory are now gone. Most you can redownload. Superuser may or may not work after you reinstall it. You will still have ClockWorkMod loaded on your device and busybox links will now be gone.
    8. For some reason, people on the HoneyBaked ROM are getting a bootloop when trying to install any other ROM. Not sure why this is, but it is not anything you are doing wrong.
    9. All WiFi only Thrives are created equal (as far as hardware). You can load any ROM on your device, so, if you are not getting the ICS update and you are say in Canada, then you can load the US version I have posted. It will work just fine.
    Most important, do not root, mod or load a ROM until you have read all the instructions and understand what you are doing. Rooting is not for everyone. Do not root just because someone said to. Do some research and see if it is something you really want to do. Same goes for any mod or ROM. The majority of you will be just fine on a pure stock device. Remember, stuff happens. It is not the fault of any developer. We are all doing the best we can to catch issues, but it is ultimatly you guys that find most of the issues. Once you think you understand what you are doing, please read the instructions again. You probably missed something. Although there are some great videos on the Forum, some are a bit dated. If the video does not match what you see, it is probably not because you did something wrong. things do change over time. If you do not understand something, please ask. Do nto take the chance of messing up your device so you have to ask someone like me to correct your issue. It tends to make things harder.

Remember, the devs (like myself) are NOT paid by the forum. We are NOT doing this full time (although I do seem to be here all the time). I work full time and have a family life, so if I do not answer you, it is probably because I have not seen your message or it has been buried and I missed it. I get a lot of messages in my sections. The others help out a lot, so do not think I have ignored your issue. If nothing else, you can PM me. I do NOT know everything. I will try and help where I can, but I do not know all things Android. I am NOT a super dev. I do NOT port ROMs. I do NOT create kernels. I do NOT create modules. I am trying to learn some of this (kernels and modules), but I have limited time. I do NOT create custom ROMs. All my ROMs are for the most part stock. If you want to remain as stock as possible but be rooted and have fixes to the ROM (those I can do), then my ROM is for you. Otherwise, you will have to wait on one of the ROM guys that port or customize ROMs to build you one with their flavor added to it. The ROMs I build is what I want and I share them with you. I do not take many requests. Not that I am against them, I just do not have the time.

If you read through all of this, I thank you. I may add additional items as I see them. Thank you and have fun.
    Last edited by panda; 09-27-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Updated with info on separate tool to root ICS
    rtfw, spook45, SHADO and 34 others like this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    You're welcome (seeee, I read to the end...lol). Very Well Said!!!!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    Winhacker_es
    For honeybacked , please intall dalepl's 3.2.1 oom 1.4 0003 before installing the ics rom. this issue happened to me and this is how i solved it.

For europeans:i live in spain and i had no problems with gps first lock. took 3 min.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32Gb - If it can be hacked, deserves to be hacked

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Stickied.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the above Paul,
    Sorry for this question but how does one "clear out the cache and Delvik Cache"? And what is the Delvik cache anyway?
    Dave

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    You clear the caches in recovery. Delvik cache is the location where all apps actually reside. The apk files do not actually run. they are transformed and copied into the Delvik cache. This is where they actually run from. This is why the first boot is always so long as the ROM builds the delvik cache with all the apps. This is kinda dumbed down, but that is the gest of it. Is that enough?
    bigguy48 likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Twitter
    techdigital
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    You clear the caches in recovery. Delvik cache is the location where all apps actually reside. The apk files do not actually run. they are transformed and copied into the Delvik cache. This is where they actually run from. This is why the first boot is always so long as the ROM builds the delvik cache with all the apps. This is kinda dumbed down, but that is the gest of it. Is that enough?
    Thanks for the knowledge.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Thanks for putting all this info in one place.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Peace,
    Dave

Toshiba Thrive 10.1"
    Android 4.0.4 Dalepl rooted ROM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Huawei S7-104 BB
    Joe Nilan's FroyoFusion
    CWM 2.5.1.8 by goodoane
    SOC Rooted

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Well said and spot on from someone who has never had an issue using any of your ROMs!
    rosalie likes this.
    Toshiba Thrive 32gb- DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)
    HTC Hero Rooted Cyanogen 7

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Very well said Dale, and just want to let you know that I was on honey baked rom v2.0 and had no issues when flashing you ics rom everything went perfect. Thank you for all the work that you do and all the help that you give ! Especially since you don't get paid for it !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads