• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: PLEASE READ. Especially the noobs.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Thanks I read it all I may not understand it all, it is interesting to see folks work through the problems. I have built-in help here,so I'm lucky.

4.Please stop blaming Toshiba for something that does not work. Besides the Toshiba apps, the remaining are apps made by developers (i.e. the games) or are made by Google. Also, it is Google, not Toshiba that made the SDcard the way it is. Now granted, hardware issues are most definitely a problem for Toshiba, but the ROMs we have from Toshiba are a vanilla as you can get

Most important, do not root, mod or load a ROM until you have read all the instructions and understand what you are doing. Rooting is not for everyone. Do not root just because someone said to. Do some research and see if it is something you really want to do. Same goes for any mod or ROM. The majority of you will be just fine on a pure stock device. Remember, stuff happens. It is not the fault of any developer. We are all doing the best we can to catch issues, but it is ultimately you guys that find most of the issues. Once you think you understand what you are doing, please read the instructions again. You probably missed something. Although there are some great videos on the Forum, some are a bit dated. If the video does not match what you see, it is probably not because you did something wrong. things do change over time. If you do not understand something, please ask. Do not take the chance of messing up your device so you have to ask someone like me to correct your issue. It tends to make things harder.

Remember, the devs (like myself) are NOT paid by the forum. We are NOT doing this full time (although I do seem to be here all the time). I work full time and have a family life, so if I do not answer you, it is probably because I have not seen your message or it has been buried and I missed it. I get a lot of messages in my sections. The others help out a lot, so do not think I have ignored your issue. If nothing else, you can PM me. I do NOT know everything. I will try and help where I can, but I do not know all things Android. I am NOT a super dev.

Thanks agan for placing this in one place.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 08-08-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Jeanette ,
    "I am strong. I am invincible. I am redhead

AT100
    Rooted (DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0002 )

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I read the whole thing. Thank you, Paul.

I wonder about two things or the context in which you described.
    In point 5 - I don't think unrooted people can clean Delvik cache.
    In point 7 - "All the apps that were moved to the data/app directory are not gone." is that correct or should "not" be "now"?
    In the section after point 9 - yes some videos are outdated and worse, the only big set of nearly official instructions, the Easy flashing for noobs, also is for older Thrives where a bunch of instructions about booting and fastboot might not apply these days. I realise it says over in the tutorial it's for specific ROM, but I took it to mean simply - pick another number from the rooting menu.
    DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    DaleNet-Thrive_7-HTK55D.31.5.0008-OOM_Rooted_ROM-v1.0 + Avast Mobile Security + AdAway
    Windows XP-Pro-SP3

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Thank you, dalepl...well said.
    Ahhh...I have joined the ROOTED side of the Force...

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Yes, you are correct on 5 and 7. I updated the text.

As for the videos, I have had peopel say the videos do not match the tool. You are an exception. The main video I am speaking of is the root for noobs one. It shows a different ClockWorkMod and different menus on the tool. Confused some.

Quote Originally Posted by ttmoo View Post
    I read the whole thing. Thank you, Paul.

I wonder about two things or the context in which you described.
    In point 5 - I don't think unrooted people can clean Delvik cache.
    In point 7 - "All the apps that were moved to the data/app directory are not gone." is that correct or should "not" be "now"?
    In the section after point 9 - yes some videos are outdated and worse, the only big set of nearly official instructions, the Easy flashing for noobs, also is for older Thrives where a bunch of instructions about booting and fastboot might not apply these days. I realise it says over in the tutorial it's for specific ROM, but I took it to mean simply - pick another number from the rooting menu.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Hi:
    Noob here. yep I am one. I am rooted and I now have ICS from Dalepl. No problems and that is because I read all of the instructions before I did it. Read them several times. Then took the plunge. Worked the first time and works now. Only issue and its not someting I will lose sleep over is with my bluetooth keyboard by logitech. I have to occasionally reconnect it, for some reason it will not connect after it is turned off. Not all the time just some. Well that is it. I really appreciate what Dalepl has done. My hats off to you and to reading the instructions several times. Sorry for rambling.
    Jack

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Toshiba Thrive, rooted with Dalepl's rooted ICS rom

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Twitter
    SteveJax
    I read it all. I've made my latest Nandroid backup. I Now have two on my external SD card and on my PC as well. I'm still debating with myself over jumping into ICS. The ICS will probably win the argument eventually....
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive AT100 10.1 32gb
    ROM: DaleNet Deodexed ICS ROM
    Firmware: 4.0.4
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4-g2388484 android-toshiba@tesibuild7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 11:22:12 IST 2012
    Build Number: IMM76D.01.00072314

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Twitter
    Vitalapparatus
    What? You mean you arent supposed to whine and cry when you d/l something you dont fully understand,offered for free ,barley skim through the instructions,and have issues that dont solve themselves ?!?
    I jest.Ive had no issues.Thank you for your unpaid labor and for your patience with us N00BS 8-)
    dalepl likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16g 8113 ​[ROM] Redemption ROM JB 2.0
    Toshiba ​Thrive 10 32g [ROM] CM 10 JB-Georgeous Gopher? I cant remember...
    Toshiba Satellite p775 6g RAM 700g HDD 17" LCD Intel Core I7
    HTC One X AT&T 4G (Thrive's Unrootable Hot Spot Biatch)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    Never
    Thank you Paul !

Good advice there. Read it all. ;-)

For the record your 4.0.4 ICS rom install went smooth as silk & GPS worked first time. Thrive is now VERY VERY responsive. I love it!!!

Now if we could just get a Shiva like kernel working ... ;-)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    5. If you are having issues with the update, you may need to do a factory reset to make it operate as it should. Like most operating systems, updates are not always a good thing. Yes, it will retain all your apps, setting and layouts, but guess what, it also retains any underlying issue may have already had with your operating system. A clean wipe and resetting up the device can do a world of good. at a minimum, you need to clear the cache and Delvik Cache (ClockWorkMod only) on the device.
    This right here is (IMO) the reason for 99% of all issues, regardless of device/computer OS. I always reformat/clean install a new OS and I've had very few issues over dozens of computers/devices/OS installs. Re-installing the apps/programs can be time consuming, but nothing is more frustrating when an update screws everything up and you have to do it anyway.
    JiveTurkee likes this.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You are awesome!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads