• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Jelly Bean features

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times

Jelly Bean features

UPDATED: Added video links of the features listed at the bottom of the OP

jellybean1.jpg

Jelly Bean will be Android version 4.1.x, not a major update that would warrant a version 5.0. New features added on top of the Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich are:

-Project Butter, meant to make the Jelly Bean experience (naturally) “buttery smooth.” The Android team did so by bumping up Jelly Bean’s framerate to 60 FPS, and implemented vsync and triple buffering to tighten up the experience. Developers also have access to a new tool called systrace in the Jelly Bean SDK that displays what the rendering engine is up to.

-Text input has also been improved, especially with regard to voice typing – users no longer need to have a solid network connection to make the feature work, as the speech interpretor lives directly on the device. The predictive keyboard is also able to guess at which word you intend to type out next. Only U.S. English will be supported for now. Arabic and Hebrew support has been improved as well, and they’re looking to add 18 new input languages.

-Also new is a heightened focus on accessibility. The newly-added Gesture Mode allows blind users to navigate their devices with gestures, and support for external Braille devices has been added.

-The Camera app has also been updated with a much faster way to review photos. Ice Cream Sandwich users may be familiar with the stock Camera app’s quick-shooting capabilities, but now users can pinch to enter a film strip view for faster perusal.

-Android Beam has been bolstered with the ability to share video via NFC, as well as the ability to pair with an NFC-enabled Bluetooth device just by tapping it.

-Notifications have also gotten a bit of a facelift — users can now return phone calls from within the notifications shade, as well as view multiple emails without having to jump into a separate app. Apps can also tap into the notification shade, and they can be expanded by dragging down with two fingers.

googlevoiceinput.jpg

-As expected, Google has revamped their mobile search experience, and that begins with the UI. Searching from the Google bar brings up handsome white cards that display information culled using the Knowledge Graph. Also on deck is improved voice search, and it seems awfully Siri-esque in how it can display and read out search results with a very natural sounding female voice. Swiping away those response “cards” reveals regular search results.

-Google Now “gets to the right information at the right time… automatically” by looking at your “search history, your calendar, and more to figure out what you might want. Examples include Google Now displaying information about sports scores and upcoming games without the need for telling it your favorite teams — your search history has already done that. Users bring up Google Now by tapping on the search box or by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. This, I have to say, is pretty epic stuff.

OTA updates will be available to Nexus devices and the Xoom in July, SDK is released today. Shame we are still waiting on ICS, but since this is an incremental update to ICS, maybe our devs can work some magic when we do get ICS because I think Toshiba is done with us after that.

I'm most excited about the 60FPS and the Google Now assistant-like-feature. Should be very handy on my phone which released in June and already has ICS on it, so I am sure I will see Jelly Bean atleast on that.

Source: TechCrunch

VIDEOS:
    Here is a video of the features in action. Here is a second video with the mobile search changes and Google Now feature. Here is a third video of the frame rate differences between ICS and JB
    Last edited by gnarlynick; 06-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROOTED
    3.15.651.16 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

Asus Nexus 7 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean

Toshiba THRiVE Android 4.0.4 ICS ROOTED
    DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1932 times
    Nice info. Thanks.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

- Click Here to Support My Work -

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    When I was watching on tv they had 2 devices set up with camera's on them #1 ICS #2 Jellybean you could really see the difference how smooth jellybean was....they were showing this portion..

Project Butter, meant to make the Jelly Bean experience (naturally) “buttery smooth.” The Android team did so by bumping up Jelly Bean’s framerate to 60 FPS, and implemented vsync and triple buffering to tighten up the experience. Developers also have access to a new tool called systrace in the Jelly Bean SDK that displays what the rendering engine is up to.
    Last edited by BusyOne; 06-27-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    JB-cm10-Kuroikaze Shinka b-21 Rom & tweaked w/pimp my rom

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    This cracks me up. People all over forums are still peeing and moaning over not having ICS yet and now JB is out. Everyone get your Pain killers out because we will be inundated with posts from those suffering PMS, Pissing and Moaning Syndrome.
    We will never hear the end of this.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    LOL!! we need to start a key lime pie thread. That'll get em all fired up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidfonefan View Post
    This cracks me up. People all over forums are still peeing and moaning over not having ICS yet and now JB is out. Everyone get your Pain killers out because we will be inundated with posts from those suffering PMS, Pissing and Moaning Syndrome.
    We will never hear the end of this.

life is better with root.
    BobjGear and lastcatspike like this.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    LOL!! we need to start a key lime pie thread. That'll get em all fired up.

Or a thread with the version following Key Lime Pie. Couldn't decide what it would be, lemon something

Desserts starting with the letter L

EDIT: Lemon Meringue most likely.
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyOne View Post
    When I was watching on tv they had 2 devices set up with camera's on them #1 ICS #2 Jellybean you could really see the difference how smooth jellybean was....they were showing this portion..

Project Butter, meant to make the Jelly Bean experience (naturally) “buttery smooth.” The Android team did so by bumping up Jelly Bean’s framerate to 60 FPS, and implemented vsync and triple buffering to tighten up the experience. Developers also have access to a new tool called systrace in the Jelly Bean SDK that displays what the rendering engine is up to.
    Do you have a link to that anywhere? I found a live feed to the conference late, only saw the end of it about Project Glass and where they gave out free Nexus phones and tablets to the attendees.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk
    iPrefer Android.

My Toys:

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    gnarlynick I believe if you go to T.W.I.T you can see the whole pod cast.I saw it on my roku tuned to T.W.I.T.

http://twit.tv/
    Last edited by BusyOne; 06-27-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    JB-cm10-Kuroikaze Shinka b-21 Rom & tweaked w/pimp my rom

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Loganberry pie. Or licorice

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1283 times