• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question re: GPS in the Thrive

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Twitter
    LAWNKILLER1
    DDd adn BRG, thanks. I have done all this in the past. example; in the house before taking my son to school, we searched for his school and routed our way there. with the route plotted I went to Navigation. Once it was set and working, I turned Airplane mode on. the gps icon was still on but no longer solid but was flashing. we went outside and waited a few minutes but nothing. We started driving and the navigation just stayed at the house, never moving along the route. After this try, we were traveling and I use my phone to tether the Thrive to route out our trip. it worked great till I turned off my phones wifi. then the Navigation just stopped for about 30min then a gps signal locked and worked for about 5min then lost the signal.

Until this works properly I am apprehensive to buy a Navigation app like DD has.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgonzo View Post
    Just to let you know... in order to use Google Maps Navigation with saved tiles, you must first establish your route with an internet connection. The routes are planned on Google's servers, not on your device. In fact, if you establish your route and download the map tiles, it will work fine without wifi until you leave your route. At that point it is up to you to get back on the route. When you do get back on the route, it will continue to work properly. Because of this, I use CoPilot on my Thrive instead of Google Navigation/Maps.

BigRedGonzo
    UnRooted 16gb Thrive, aka the TAB

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWNKILLER View Post
    Until this works properly I am apprehensive to buy a Navigation app like DD has.
    I would hesitate too. However, Navfree USA is free and you can download only your state to see if it will stay locked. Next time I go out, I'll test Maps/Navigator. I tested them a long time ago and they worked, but I'll check again with Paul's latest ROM. What ROM are you using?
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 06-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads