• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluzman

Thread: Not Compatible!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Not Compatible!

M$ just announced Windows Phone 8. (Engadget)
    It is not compatible with existing Windows Phone handsets and they announced there will be no upgrade path.

[sarcasm]
    I haven't even taken the shipping screen protector off my new "The Beta Test Is Over" phone and already it is non-upgradeable and obsolete.
    I'M NEVER GONNA BUY NOTHING FROM THOSE *&@$&^$& AGAIN.
    I gonna go back to my dumb LG-620 phone. That'll show them.
    [/sarcasm]

And we thought we had it bad with ICS merely being late.

Steve
    Last edited by framistat; 06-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Yet people scream about Android.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    That's because most current phones are single core on 512mb ram. Not dual core 1 gb ram with the 'we just don't want to' factor at work.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Did anyone notice the Excite LE got an additional upgrade on top of ICS already? Exactly.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cenn View Post
    Did anyone notice the Excite LE got an additional upgrade on top of ICS already? Exactly.
    From posts elsewhere on this forum, I saw the non-LE version (Tegra 3) came with ICS but the LE didn't. This was just ketchup!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    What does that have to do with this thread? Or anything for that matter?
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
    What does that have to do with this thread? Or anything for that matter?
    Because unlike Android OEMs, Microsoft isn't playing the pick and choose BS. They're actually still giving Win 7 phones an update to resize tiles, which is better than nothing considering those phone specs are worse than a prepaid model I had.

Meanwhile, more lip service from Toshiba, "A few more months." Will anybody even give a s**t at that point? I'm banking on them hoping not, because you guys still won't have it. But, here's to the best of luck for you. It's all water under the bridge for me now as I unloaded mine. I just chalked it up to a 400 dollar schooling about Android's eco-system. It's pretty much spot-on from the platform it originated from, although worse. At least with Linux you could get an OS update fairly easy with a blank DVD.

But anywho, this is my swan song post. Guys, it's been a slice. Take care.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    That's because most current phones are single core on 512mb ram. Not dual core 1 gb ram with the 'we just don't want to' factor at work.
    Actually, MS does not require dual core and 1 GB for Windows Phone 8. They are just refusing to upgrade them. Windows Phone 8 supports multi-core and a bunch of other stuff, but doesn't require it. And MS doesn't push updates, the manufacturer do. So many phones may not ever get 7.8 either. Go to Apple where you can stop whining about the OS versions and start whining about not being able to do anything other than what they want you to.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

upgrades not so with closed source mobile o/s's

From my previous experience with Windows Mobile... MS do never do major upgrades to their pda's / smartphone O/S...
    Like if you have a pda/phone model, it is strictly paired with its O/S

examples: HTC Angel and WM 2003

HTC Universal and WM 2005

same goes with WM 6 and 7...

only the guys at XDA and some other devs provided cross jumping between phone models and major upgrades...

what they mean I guess is if you buy their WM8 Pad, do not expect an upgrade to WM9...
    however WM8.x would probably be available (which are just fine tuning, correcting bugs and improving on the same release)

this was also the case for the Nokia Symbian line of phones...

it does not warrant a hysterical reaction, this is just how mobile phones are marketed, the phone and its o/s are glued together

only Android is changing that somewhat, even if with v3, HC they tried to hard link, but they realised it did not suit the opensource model, and to have
    opensource community on board, they had to keep the O/S open, which means upgrades up to the point where the hardware cannot support them...

something Apple does very astutely with their devices...

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Because unlike Android OEMs, Microsoft isn't playing the pick and choose BS. They're actually still giving Win 7 phones an update to resize tiles, which is better than nothing considering those phone specs are worse than a prepaid model I had.

Meanwhile, more lip service from Toshiba, "A few more months." Will anybody even give a s**t at that point? I'm banking on them hoping not, because you guys still won't have it. But, here's to the best of luck for you. It's all water under the bridge for me now as I unloaded mine. I just chalked it up to a 400 dollar schooling about Android's eco-system. It's pretty much spot-on from the platform it originated from, although worse. At least with Linux you could get an OS update fairly easy with a blank DVD.

But anywho, this is my swan song post. Guys, it's been a slice. Take care.
    Buh-bye...and please don't do a "Brett Favre" on us.
    danvee likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, (KitKat 4.4.2)
    LG Spectrum 2 (JB 4.1.2), Inactivated
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Gifted (JB 4.1.2, rooted)
    THRiVE 10.1, Gifted (IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4))

Remove Ads

Ads