• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times

2130mah battery, is it enough?

From the information in Toshibadirect, the battery Thrive uses is a 23WH 10.8V model
    Thats about 2130mah, quite shocking to be seen in a tablet, while others having over 6000mah
    The battery of, say, ipad 2 's voltage is just 3.8V, and is almost 7000mah
    The battery of Thrive is more like laptops
    With voltage up to 11.1V and some 4000mah, a laptop with discrete display and magnetic storage can operate up to some 3 hours
    So how does Thrive 's battery work?
    I don 't much about that, any advice?

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ogc View Post
    From the information in Toshibadirect, the battery Thrive uses is a 23WH 10.8V model
    Thats about 2130mah, quite shocking to be seen in a tablet, while others having over 6000mah
    The battery of, say, ipad 2 's voltage is just 3.8V, and is almost 7000mah
    The battery of Thrive is more like laptops
    With voltage up to 11.1V and some 4000mah, a laptop with discrete display and magnetic storage can operate up to some 3 hours
    So how does Thrive 's battery work?
    I don 't much about that, any advice?

I'll take a swag at this, my best guess, I am not or never have been involved in battery design.

Toshiba states the Thrive battery is a 6 cell, 10.8 volt, 23 Wh (2.13 Ah) battery.

I believe the iPad2 battery is a 3 cell, 3.8 volt, 25 Wh (6.6 Ah) battery.

Li-Ion batteries (cells) have a voltage of ~ 3.6 - 4.0 volts DC (fully charged).

My guess is the Thrive has 3 cells in series which are in parallel with an additional 3 cells in series.

My guess is the iPad2 has 3 cells in parallel.

Silly side note : The Toyota Prius Li-Ion battery is 168 cells, 202 volts, 6.5 Ah (bet you didn't know you could get electrocuted working on a Prius).

The more cells the better. More cells usually mean a more effective and efficient battery (and longer lived battery).

If you remember, many netbooks had 3 cell batteries, and they were not the best battery in the world by any means.

Yes, you're correct, it appears the Thrive uses a standard 19 volt laptop AC adapter.

Bottom line : The iPad2 and Thrive batteries are comparable (from a power perspective). How the device they power uses that power is another story.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Amp hours (Ah) is a handy rule of thumb. Amp hours is how much charge is stored in the battery. Since a battery changes voltage during the discharge, it isn’t a perfect measure of how much energy is stored, for this you would need watt hours (Wh). Multiplying the average or nominal battery voltage times the battery capacity in amp hours gives you an estimate of how many watt hours the battery contains.

The bottom line : Be it a laptop, netbook or tablet, buy the one whose battery has the most cells and the hightest Watt Hour rating.

Watch the first four minutes of this video :

EEVblog #140 – Battery Capacity Tutorial @ EEVblog – The Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Remove Ads

Ads