• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rooting ! Please explain.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Rooting ! Please explain.

I see a lot of talk in connection with Rooting...

In simple terms and explaination form...What is it, how doi we go about it and what are the pro's and con's involved...A good thing or not ?

2. Ads

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    As far as how, there are multiple sets of written instructions on the site. Assuming you are talking about your Thrive, I used this one [Root Tool] nothingisdead! Root for THRiVE build HTK55D.31.5.0003 but there is a new one at [Tool] TYBAR Universal Root Tool - GUI

For what rooting is, you have to understand your device default setup. By default, you are really a locked down user. There are many things you are unable to do (remove pre-installed applications, replace system apps, overclock the CPU, firewall to block apps from the internet, etc). Rooting is the process of hacking into the system to unlock that potential. Generally rooting adds superuser (basically administrator if coming from Windows) and a few other capabilities right off the bat. But it unlocks the ability to use other apps to perform new functions (backup and restore apps and setting, freeze system apps, create firewall rules to block ads or block certain apps from accessing the internet). On a higher level, it allows you to backup your entire system, replace the current operating system with another one, create links between sdcard and sdcard2 to allow apps that don't allow you to set their folders to actually write to the larger sdcard space you may have, use link2sd to move apps to the real sdcard, etc. So normal is kind of like your PC at work, you can't install just anything you want or change it around to be exactly how you want it if it violates the company rules. Rooted is like the PC at your house. Do what you want to it that it can handle.

Benefits:
    Access to your entire system capabilities
    Ability to flash custom ROM (OS)
    Ability to backup current system
    Ability to access files and settings not available before

Drawbacks:
    Say goodbye to your warranty in most cases (although there have been some who have gotten service even though rooted)
    Slim possibility of bricking your device so it must be sent back for reflash (Only when flashing a new ROM or making changes in CWM, read and follow all instructions closely to avoid)
    You will no longer be a root virgin so some folks may not be interested in dating you (just a rumor, women find men with root sexy, and men find women with root interesting at least)

If you are perfectly happy with your device as is and are not sure if you want to root or not, I would say wait and see if you change your mind later. Root can be undone, but why go through that if you are happy? It would be like me putting a high performance carb on my cars engine when I am happy with the way it runs now, just a nicety that I don't need. But, if your Thrive lags at times and it drives you nuts to the point of not wanting to use it, or you really want to get that darn Kaspersky gone, or you tire of ads on everything, or you just want to try out new things, then I say go for it.

Me personally, I had a rooted Droid R2D2 and I was happy without root on my Thrive. Then they issued an update that blocked root (on both devices). At that point I realized how much root had actually changed my R2D2 and wanted root more than anything on both devices. The Thrive got root back and I rooted that day. Since then I have flashed and reflashed and installed and uninstalled tons of stuff. And I am learning more and more about Android itself in the process.
    danvee, JiveTurkee, amb and 5 others like this.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Root,root for the home team oh thats baseball.If I was you look and read all you can in dev,rom forums there are video's to watch and judge for yourself.......have phun...need help on anything just ask... rtfw has giving you plenty to get started..
    Last edited by BusyOne; 05-19-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    JB-cm10-Kuroikaze Shinka b-21 Rom & tweaked w/pimp my rom

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you very much for your brillient explanation.....Sounds like I should sit it out for now..

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Lol most of us make it seem like its overblown mostly to prove a point, that once you root it, it truly becomes yours. There is a chance Tosh may not give you customer service because of it. Otherwise it really is simple, and it allows for even more customization if you know what you are doing. However, if you are quite satisfied with it, are happy just using it as is, then there is no need to root. But if you see on here, that someone with root has been able to do that one thing...just that one thing you wt to do with it, then by all means join the party.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    "I would rather THRiVE than be EXCITEd."
    ADW Launcher Ex FAQ/Guide | Thrive Root/Unroot Video Tutorial/Walkthrough
    Phone(s) : Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Stock ICS (Android 4.0.4) | Motorola Droid (OG) - UltimateDroid 3.2.5 ROM w/ ChevyNo1 ULV 1.25 Ghz kernel
    Tablet(s) : Archos 70IT 250 GB - Stock, Rooted w/ Developer firmware | B+N Nook Color - Miui.us latest Miui v 1.11.4 w/ Dal's OC kernel set @ 1300 Mhz. | Toshiba Thrive 32 GB -
    DaleNet Thrive IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM(Android 4.0.4)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Rooting has me interested but is there any reason NOT to root? Such as preventing official updates through the normal toshiba method service station? Also it appears to be a good idea to do it before updating to ICS once it's released, correct?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by woodensoul View Post
    Rooting has me interested but is there any reason NOT to root? Such as preventing official updates through the normal toshiba method service station? Also it appears to be a good idea to do it before updating to ICS once it's released, correct?
    You will not be able to upgrade through the Service Station, so you will have to wait for the developers to release an update ROM. Last one took about a week.

If you don't root before ICS, you may not be able to root at all, certainly until someone discovers a new exploit to get into the system.

If you root, you can still return to stock simply by reflashing a stock, unrooted ROM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    I see no reason not to root except for fear.
    I waited many months and finally stepped off. I will never go back. Thanks to dalelp it's so easy a cave man can do it and thanks to timmytim's honeybaked 1.2 rom this thing is better than stock. So much better I don't know why these guys have a job at toshiba. It is fast, smooth the sound is great, it's much more reliable and again these guys have made it stupid easy. Also if you need to send it in for repair that is no problem either. I've done it twice. Just install dalelp's fully stock rom and you are back to stock conditions in a few seconds.
    Life is better with root.

Quote Originally Posted by woodensoul View Post

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Some DRM material may not be available if rooted. Google Play movies, HBO Go (if and when it comes), PocketBLU, etc.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    do you lose bluetooth after rooting?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads