• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rooting ! Please explain.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    4 pages of discussion:

google now for ICS

Must have ICS and be rooted.
    And I swear it locks mine up every once in a while and drains the battery quicker while.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Makes sense about the drain, as it's constantly active in the background unless you physically shut it down.
    Crashing may well just be because it was designed for JB.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Yeah if might be time for reflashing a Rom....

*sent from a Galaxy (SIII) far far away*

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Possible?

I bought the Toshiba thrive a year or so ago and loved it (even when i had to buy a second due to the first being stolen during a military deployment). No regrets what so ever with the device. However i keep hearing about why i should root the device, especially from my fellow technicians in my trade. Before i go through however i have some questions:

1) I have already upgrade to ICS 4.04 does this bar me from rooting it? some people were leading me to think this is the current case
    2) If i update will i lose any of the major abilities with the device? (Blue tooth, WIFI, Ect.)
    3) Is this truly the only way to get rid of the annoying bloatware thats on the device?
    4) Will the root make me unable to use current installed apps or will i have to retrieve them again?

Awaiting the masses to poke me in the eye with a stick and tell me to stop being stupid,

-Wilforve

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Hello, I will try to answer your questions.

1. At present, there is no way to root the ICS OTA, but if you PM me, I can roll you back to HC so you can root. You can then flash one of the rooted ICS or JB ROMs onto the device.
    2. No, the device will function the same as it does now. Maybe better.
    3. Yes. ICS allows you to hide the apps, but this does not remove them and recover the space.
    4. The only app functions that do not work on a rooted device are video streaming apps that use DRM. They detect the fact that you are rooted and are disabled.

You are not being stupid. Rooting is not for everyone. If you are happy with the device as is, I would leave it as is. If you find a reason that you need to root, then by all means, do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilforve View Post
    I bought the Toshiba thrive a year or so ago and loved it (even when i had to buy a second due to the first being stolen during a military deployment). No regrets what so ever with the device. However i keep hearing about why i should root the device, especially from my fellow technicians in my trade. Before i go through however i have some questions:

1) I have already upgrade to ICS 4.04 does this bar me from rooting it? some people were leading me to think this is the current case
    2) If i update will i lose any of the major abilities with the device? (Blue tooth, WIFI, Ect.)
    3) Is this truly the only way to get rid of the annoying bloatware thats on the device?
    4) Will the root make me unable to use current installed apps or will i have to retrieve them again?

Awaiting the masses to poke me in the eye with a stick and tell me to stop being stupid,

-Wilforve
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wilforve,

DalePL has already answered your query and HE's the expert. So pay attention to him and what he tells you. I'll throw in a couple of bits here that comes from my experience NOT updating to ICS. I do have a second cheap smaller tablet running ICS to go with my Thrive that I rooted following instructions found here in this thread. So, I DO have some hands-on experience. I've been using the latest of Dale's rooted images and it fixed every problem I had with the Thrive. Outside of not running a ICS/JB specific program launcher that I have on the 7in tablet, I have no reasons TO 'upgrade.' The latest and greatest isn't always such a better product that it demands being installed. And nothing about ICS, thus far, has evidenced itself to void my happiness with my Thrive now as is.

Since you've been through the rooting process already, it's likely you have a backup program like Titanium Backup, that created installable APKs that restored your programs and data. It IS the reason for rooting in my opinion. Getting Titanium to backup on schedule to my DropBox gives me peace of mind. I like the faster wifi performance and the ability to take screenshots. But Titanium (or whatever you have) was the reason why I bit the bullet and rooted a year after I bought (and filled up) my Thrive. I also performed a bit of triage on what was installed. And yes, I created enough of my OWN bloatware, that this summer cleaning was good for the system. And yes, my auto update came back to bite me on the butt, leading to a lengthy uninstall session once the rooted Thrive was back up and running. But it was a result of my own pigginess whilst getting familiar with the product in the first few months of ownership. My ALL set of programs in the Store is a scarily long list of try-and-forget apps. You WILL be looking at letting the Thrive get updated by the Store.

My suggestion? Review whether you REALLY need ICS. Dale's offered you a way to achieve that. But, as Yogi Berra reminded us, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Yogi Berra? Really? Wow, it's deja vu all over again.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (JB 4.1.2)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, (KitKat 4.4.2)
    LG Spectrum 2 (JB 4.1.2), Inactivated
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Gifted (JB 4.1.2, rooted)
    THRiVE 10.1, Gifted (IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4))

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Ads