• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rooting ! Please explain.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Update: ignore.. driver install were screwie from the start which gave me a bum steer.. sorted now.

Hi Guys, so what if you've got a aussie HTK55D.13.5.0001 build and you want to root it? The tools don't list this in the root list, and I cant find any instructions to root this particlar model.. I can only assume it's an outdated tool?
    Last edited by alboski; 06-24-2012 at 10:12 PM.

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Twitter
    Vitalapparatus
    In my 41 years on the this ball of spinning rock Ive learned not to do things just because I can but only if there is a pressing reason..I remember when AOL thought it would be neat to charge people 3$ per minute to access Al Gore's World Wide Web,that was one of those moments where I knew I needed to act if I was going to have access to Newsgroups (Usenet) and still have money for my mortgage...This seems to be another one of those times.The unmitigated gall of a company (or collective) to think they can sell me a system but not hand over Admin rights to it as well is unforgivable.Its like bying a house but having to ask permission to paint a room or plant a garden..I realize I am only a walking hunk of consumerist carbon to Toshiba, Im ok with that.Im not ok with being treated like an irresponsible child that needs Daddy watching over me for my own good.
    I shall root!
    JiveTurkee, rosalie and TLARbb like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Huzza!
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanPeyton View Post
    In my 41 years on the this ball of spinning rock Ive learned not to do things just because I can but only if there is a pressing reason..I remember when AOL thought it would be neat to charge people 3$ per minute to access Al Gore's World Wide Web,that was one of those moments where I knew I needed to act if I was going to have access to Newsgroups (Usenet) and still have money for my mortgage...This seems to be another one of those times.The unmitigated gall of a company (or collective) to think they can sell me a system but not hand over Admin rights to it as well is unforgivable.Its like bying a house but having to ask permission to paint a room or plant a garden..I realize I am only a walking hunk of consumerist carbon to Toshiba, Im ok with that.Im not ok with being treated like an irresponsible child that needs Daddy watching over me for my own good.
    I shall root!
    Glad to hear you will be rooting. It is good for you and the device.

There is one thing. Toshiba has not locked the device because they are protecting you. It is to protect themselves. They made an agreement with Google to protect DRM. I do not like it no more than others do. HTC locked their device and relented to pressure to provide a way to unlock. this is what we need to do to Toshiba too. I could care less about DRM. I do not rent movies over the WWW. I would prefer that they provide a way to unlock and root. DRM does not work if the device is rooted. I talked to an engineer and he sees the same thing. The engineer said he and other engineers have emailed Toshiba Corprate and asking them to unlock the bootloader too. Do not know if it will do any good, but it is better than nothing.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Twitter
    Vitalapparatus
    Done! Took about 30 minutes of research on this forum and 3 minutes actually rooting.Thanks to all who posted and wrote instrctions and code.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Twitter
    Vitalapparatus
    Ok,now that I have seemingly successfully rooted Im itching to slap a new OS on this puppy.I know I must back up my files before flashing but my question is do I have a choice of Roms or are they specific to my build?Also if I rooted using Dales Universal tool am I supposed to flash a Dales ROM or could I use another Devs product (only asking for info sake I have no idea whose Roms are better and since Dales Root tool worked so well and was so user freindly I would likley stay with it.)
    Feel free to pimpsmack these theories as I really dont know what the hell Im talking about

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16g 8113 ​[ROM] Redemption ROM JB 2.0
    Toshiba ​Thrive 10 32g [ROM] CM 10 JB-Georgeous Gopher? I cant remember...
    Toshiba Satellite p775 6g RAM 700g HDD 17" LCD Intel Core I7
    HTC One X AT&T 4G (Thrive's Unrootable Hot Spot Biatch)

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    You can try any of the posted ROMs. Just be sure to have a complete backup of your current ROM so you have a way to restore if something does not load correctly.

By the way, no pimpsmacks are allowed here!
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    IMnsHO the dalnet .003 OOM Rooted ROM is the way to go.
    It's the most stable, trouble-free of all of them, and, to be honest, most (if not all) of the current custom ROMs are based, in one or another, on his....
    Can't beat going directly to the source....
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have been reading the various fora here about steps and ways to root a Toshiba Thrive. I started getting an interest in this when the ICS version started coming out and the warning went up that if you move to that version, you will no longer be able to root. I am currently sitting at HTK55D.31.5.0003 so I do not currently have Fastboot. I have the ADB drivers installed and communicating (test 1 anyway since I do not have Fastboot to try test 2 as seen on these fora).

What I am really trying to understand is that if I use one of the tool sets posted on this site, Tybar's nothingisdead or DaleNet's Easy Flash Tool, to install Fastboot, ClockworkMod, and a rooted version of the same level OS, will I lose all my apps and/or data? I can't use Titanium Backup without root. I certainly can and have copied my external SD card contents elsewhere.

Eventually, I want to install the ICS root version but I'm trying to learn how to take the first steps without losing what I already have if possible.

Thanks for any help,
    Kubes

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Yes, you will lose everything.
    TB will back up apps on an unrooted device-just not data.
    Use the easy flash tool, following the instructions exactly. It's your best method.
    ~Dan

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads