• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rooting ! Please explain.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    If you've got a few gig of space available, no problem, but a lot of us just keep a 4G card free just for the purpose.

sent from my modded Thrive using Tapatalk 2
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise23 View Post
    Does the rest of the sd card have to be empty or can I use my backup card?
    No, you can use any card with free space. You can delete it after you are done with it or leave it on your backup card in case you need it later to re-install.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    If you've got a few gig of space available, no problem, but a lot of us just keep a 4G card free just for the purpose.

sent from my modded Thrive using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. I was thinking that it woud be better to use a separate sd card. Although I do have about 59GB free on my backup sd card.
    You can't survive if you don't Thrive!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Sorry I was trying to overly simplify it. I see that was not necessary.

Is "main part of the card" short for root directory?

life is better with root.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Sorry I was trying to overly simplify it. I see that was not necessary.
    Well, I do know a little bit about computers--but as we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    You can't survive if you don't Thrive!

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Boy am I the poster child for that.
    Well, I do know a little bit about computers--but as we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    New Thrive owner here. I've tried multiple different ways to root my thrive but keep getting the same problem. For some reason my computer recognizes my thrive being connected but neither of the rooting devices do. I have made sure that I have debugging on and I have downloaded the adb drivers. Is there a way to make sure the drivers are installed correctly. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also, this is my first tablet so most of the conversations I've read about rooting might as well be in Japanese but I'm pretty sure I've done everything correct.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question I've ALMOST convinced myself to root. Can you push me over the edge?

I've had my Thrive AT100 since the first day they were available in Canada. Bought the 32G version. Through a year of using the Thrive I've come to some conclusions. The big one is, that I'm happy I bought the device. I didn't want to hook myself into the Apple ecosystem and Steve Jobs' insistence he knew better than I, what should be on my tablet. I wanted external storage access directly, without going through the cloud. A decent screen and sound and a decent price. The Thrive has been a very good media consumption device.

[1] Probably should have saved the money and bought the 16G version. There's lots of space for the many, many apps I installed, but the main use of the machine is as a media viewer for material on either the USB device (a fingernail-sized Lexar drive) or, most often, an SD Card. I eat lunch to the previous day's output from the TWiT network. [2] I disliked the wifi performance from day one and spent many a night contemplating spending bucks on a 'better' wireless router than the one my cable company has sold me. (Yeah I bought it). Recently bought a cheap little Envizion v700B to serve as my internet radio beside my bed and do some android-y stuff. It's an ICS device. Whether that's the reason or whether Envizion just does a better job of it, suddenly my WiFi is two to three times better on it than on the Thrive. The painful process of installing or updating apps on the Thrive is a speedy afterthought on the Envizion. [3] Although I purchased a screen snapshot app that works, however awkwardly, I find myself frequently hoping I could do it without installing the umbilical cord to my PC. And not having a backup system gives me hives. I'm one of those paranoids who backs up the main PC nightly and I'm not backed up until a data file is one the computer, on an external device and in the cloud. [4] I waited, silently and without protest, for the end of spring when last winter's 'promise' of an ICS upgrade was supposed to arrive by. I've seen an amazing lack of official Toshiba response in the various forums, allowing rumours, outright lies and hopeful yells to stay loyal out in the wild with equal standing. With Spring's end today, I no longer trust that ICS will arrive in my tablet's lifetime.

I've figured out how to get MOST of my data from the Thrive to the Envizion. Not all, but the important stuff. I can get by with the Envizion for a bit if something goes awry. But I'm risk-adverse and I keep asking myself do I REALLY want to risk bricking just to do backups and make snapshotting easier? But would a rooted device have better wifi performance? Would rooting cause any problems with the dozen or so paid apps I have? Which way is the wind blowing today?

There's one app on the Thrive I'd like to have survive a rooting that I don't think will. That's anuj's Comic Strips, which I can no longer find on the Google Play store. The app keeps displaying new strips (however slowly), so nobody's squashed it that I've been able to find. But not even at the website, is there any evidence of the app any more. Too bad. I like the app a lot. I did find getting my Google calendar working in the Envizion to be beyond my abilities, which didn't matter because the Thrive does that. I do worry about a Post-rooting problem with getting all of the various Google apps playing nice with the Thrive. And, inevitably, the fact that I'm in Canada will put some water into the oil case.

So, now you know my thought processes and my circumstances. IS ROOTING RIGHT FOR ME?

All responses gratefully received. GM

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Short answer. Yes! I too bought One the morning it was released. I have never had wifi issues either. Mine will find a hot spot when my friends ipad will not. I waited till about 2 months ago to finally root mine. I was afraid just like you are. I used dalelp's easy root tool. It stupid easy. If i can Robitussin anyone can. I also run timmytims honeybaked 1.2 not the latest one and it runs so much smoother than stock it isn't funny. The device increased in value to me since rooting it. I even picked up a second one for a couple hundred bucks. I now root unroot backup and restore like I would burn a CD. It's about that easy. Watch the video a few times. Make sure debugging is checked and the abd drivers are installed on your PC. Pick your build # and bam. Your rooted.
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Mugford View Post
    I've had my Thrive AT100 since the first day they were available in Canada. Bought the 32G version. Through a year of using the Thrive I've come to some conclusions. The big one is, that I'm happy I bought the device. I didn't want to hook myself into the Apple ecosystem and Steve Jobs' insistence he knew better than I, what should be on my tablet. I wanted external storage access directly, without going through the cloud. A decent screen and sound and a decent price. The Thrive has been a very good media consumption device.

[1] Probably should have saved the money and bought the 16G version. There's lots of space for the many, many apps I installed, but the main use of the machine is as a media viewer for material on either the USB device (a fingernail-sized Lexar drive) or, most often, an SD Card. I eat lunch to the previous day's output from the TWiT network. [2] I disliked the wifi performance from day one and spent many a night contemplating spending bucks on a 'better' wireless router than the one my cable company has sold me. (Yeah I bought it). Recently bought a cheap little Envizion v700B to serve as my internet radio beside my bed and do some android-y stuff. It's an ICS device. Whether that's the reason or whether Envizion just does a better job of it, suddenly my WiFi is two to three times better on it than on the Thrive. The painful process of installing or updating apps on the Thrive is a speedy afterthought on the Envizion. [3] Although I purchased a screen snapshot app that works, however awkwardly, I find myself frequently hoping I could do it without installing the umbilical cord to my PC. And not having a backup system gives me hives. I'm one of those paranoids who backs up the main PC nightly and I'm not backed up until a data file is one the computer, on an external device and in the cloud. [4] I waited, silently and without protest, for the end of spring when last winter's 'promise' of an ICS upgrade was supposed to arrive by. I've seen an amazing lack of official Toshiba response in the various forums, allowing rumours, outright lies and hopeful yells to stay loyal out in the wild with equal standing. With Spring's end today, I no longer trust that ICS will arrive in my tablet's lifetime.

I've figured out how to get MOST of my data from the Thrive to the Envizion. Not all, but the important stuff. I can get by with the Envizion for a bit if something goes awry. But I'm risk-adverse and I keep asking myself do I REALLY want to risk bricking just to do backups and make snapshotting easier? But would a rooted device have better wifi performance? Would rooting cause any problems with the dozen or so paid apps I have? Which way is the wind blowing today?

There's one app on the Thrive I'd like to have survive a rooting that I don't think will. That's anuj's Comic Strips, which I can no longer find on the Google Play store. The app keeps displaying new strips (however slowly), so nobody's squashed it that I've been able to find. But not even at the website, is there any evidence of the app any more. Too bad. I like the app a lot. I did find getting my Google calendar working in the Envizion to be beyond my abilities, which didn't matter because the Thrive does that. I do worry about a Post-rooting problem with getting all of the various Google apps playing nice with the Thrive. And, inevitably, the fact that I'm in Canada will put some water into the oil case.

So, now you know my thought processes and my circumstances. IS ROOTING RIGHT FOR ME?

All responses gratefully received. GM

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Kenneth,

An impassion plea. I AM interested in your observation of the Thrive having better wifi finding capability than the iPad. My Thrive is very, very rarely on the road. I don't leave the cave all that often. But I'm unhappy with the network performance of the Thrive, but thought it more a problem with the Router than with the Thrive. The Envizion has changed my mind on that matter and now I blame Toshiba. But as in all things, it probably isn't black and white.

Thanks for the encouragement to go in the direction I want to go in. GM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads